When to cancel

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 28, 2020
1
0
1
64
We have a trip to Iceland planned for June 6 through June 20. Iceland has not given any guidance on entering the country past May 31. We booked trough Iceland Air and will wait to see what happens there. Part of the trip includes traveling from Tucson to Denver on June 5 and June 21. We booked trough Delta using a $600 voucher from January for giving up a seat. Both tickets cost around $850 total. I believe that those flights won’t be canceled. We could use the credits from Delta in the expanded time that is being offered now. Expedia has flights through American for half the amount paid. We are fearful of being to smart by half and ending up with a diminished product or worse. my question is should we cancel the Tucson/Denver leg and look to rebook at a much cheaper fare. Thank you, Brad.
 

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
2,857
3,673
113
Maui Hawaii
We have a trip to Iceland planned for June 6 through June 20. Iceland has not given any guidance on entering the country past May 31. We booked trough Iceland Air and will wait to see what happens there. Part of the trip includes traveling from Tucson to Denver on June 5 and June 21. We booked trough Delta using a $600 voucher from January for giving up a seat. Both tickets cost around $850 total. I believe that those flights won’t be canceled. We could use the credits from Delta in the expanded time that is being offered now. Expedia has flights through American for half the amount paid. We are fearful of being to smart by half and ending up with a diminished product or worse. my question is should we cancel the Tucson/Denver leg and look to rebook at a much cheaper fare. Thank you, Brad.
If you do cancel your Delta flights, DO NOT book new ones through Expedia. Book directly with the airline. You will just be asking for additional problems by involving Expedia,.
 
Sep 27, 2018
199
277
63
62
Are you currently on one PNR? If so I would keep it that way since if you cancel the Delta portion and rebook on American you would have no recourse if Iceland Air cancels since the the AA TUS to DEN flight would still be operating.
 

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
2,857
3,673
113
Maui Hawaii
Are you currently on one PNR? If so I would keep it that way since if you cancel the Delta portion and rebook on American you would have no recourse if Iceland Air cancels since the the AA TUS to DEN flight would still be operating.
Separate booking on Delta and Iceland Air per original post.
"We booked trough Iceland Air and will wait to see what happens there. Part of the trip includes traveling from Tucson to Denver on June 5 and June 21. We booked trough Delta using a $600 voucher."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Skippy
May 30, 2019
400
805
93
Sounds like you are booked ...
  • 6/5 TUS - DEN on Delta
  • 6/6 DEN - KEF on Iceland Air
  • 6/20 KEF - DEN on Iceland Air
  • 6/21 DEN - TUS on Delta
As I gander online, there are no non-stops on DL TUS-DEN, so your flight may have already been cancelled -- unless, perhaps you were going through SLC or LAX to use your voucher. Let's assume that's the case.

If you rebook the TUS-DEN with AA, then Iceland Air later cancels your flight or the country won't let you in, then you'll be stuck with both a DL voucher AND an AA voucher. So, I would recommend leaving things as is and wait for new guidance from Iceland.

Given all that, if you rebook, you may want to consider UA rather than AA and take non-stop flights to DEN. Having a non-stop reduces the risk of luggage being lost, cancelled flights, etc. I realize that's $100 more per person, but it is what I would do to make sure I'm in the right place for an international flight.

And, to the extent you can, book directly with the airlines rather than through Expedia. +1 on that mention from prior posts.

Hope this helps.
 
May 30, 2019
400
805
93
I partially rescind my recommendation in the prior post to consider UA:
  • UA is planning to cancel 90%+ of their flights in June; however, they have not posted the cancellations. This means that 9 out of 10 June flights you see right now on united.com are phantoms.

  • UA will not offer a refund if your flight is cancelled and they can rebook you on a flight within a 6 hour window.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
9,762
10,570
113
San Francisco
Skippy has laid it out very well. I would do nothing for the next few weeks but stay on top of the "news". I wouldn't even think about cheaper flights to DEN on a different airline. I don't think you can play this game with only half the rules ... or these days, far less than half the rules. What is Delta's policy on cancelling the voucher-flights? Can you rebook without losing any value? Bottom line, if Iceland looks like it will be open for tourists by June 6, you can start to look seriously at this about ten days before. If your Delta flight has a connection, I hope you're going in hours or even a day early. Personally, I would assume this trip will not happen, but you may be more of an optimist than I.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Skippy