We don't need no education

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2018
This is the letter I want to send to Concordia University in Chicago, IL but I do not know where to start. Any contact information and where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Dear **** December 13, 2018
I am seeking a full refund for SPED 6350. I am writing to you today to address some serious issues I endured as a student in the online course Fall (2) SPED 6350 with Professor ****. According to the Concordia University website, "Blackboard, our online learning management system, provides a structure channel for course delivery, communication, and assessment." The university failed on all three of those points.
Course delivery was very little at best. In total, there were four announcements:
1. The initial introduction
2. Updated course calendar
3. Grouping for wiki assignment
4. Amendments to final assignment dates
For an on-line course where delivery must be in digital form, this did not occur to my satisfaction.

Communication was the second area where the professor failed. This is the message she posted from our announcement page:
"Your first discussion board is the introduction, please complete your introduction by Tuesday. My introduction is available for you already, and my contact information is located in the course information section. You may use your Concordia emails for communication as indicated in the instructor contact section on Blackboard, however, feel free to contact me via text ******* for quick responses or to set up a phone conference. I am cognizant of our busy schedules as educators and I am able to return a text within minutes or hours to assist you in completing an assignment - whereas an email will need to wait until I am in my Concordia email again. It will take longer. I will communicate expectations and details for course assignments through the announcement feature in the course, it will then be sent out through to your email. Please pay special attention to announcements I have sent out."

I sent an email on November 27th-never received an answer
Sent an email on December 2nd, never received an answer
Then, following her suggestion to text since she would "return a text with minutes or hours" I decided to go that route.
Sent text November 10th-response was November 12
Send text November 19th-response was November 20th

The last section, assessment, was the most grossly neglected area.

As of December 13th, 2018, 12 grades were submitted.
As of December 13,2018, 11 grades have not been submitted.
As of December 13th, the last time grades were input was December 4th, 2018
As of November 20th, only the discussion boards were graded-not assignments.
The professor made a suggestion on an assignment, however; the second part of the assignment was due after this suggestion making it impossible to rectify and improve for the next assignment.

With little to no feedback/response, this class has not done its job. According to the syllabus provided by the university, a student's role is to make sure we go no more than three days without going into BB. This needs to be both ways. The professor as well needs to do his/her part and update grades and/or discussions within that time frame. "This 8-week course requires consistent participation. In an online course, more than 3 days without logging in constitutes an absence. Two or more absences are the equivalent of 25% of the course. This may result in a grade of F/no credit."

I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to your response

Dec 13, 2018
That is what I am trying to find out. What and who is the chain of command at the university?

Dec 13, 2018
Official grades are due on December 16th. However, she has not offered any suggestions for improvement on any assignments so I had to submit them and hope for the best

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
@jjbraid You did submit your case to the helpline and I asked you to provide additional information. Submitting requests to both the forum and the direct helpline at the same time is not advised since it is not possible for the staff here to know what is already being done in direct advocacy and this can lead to confusion.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston
Dec 13, 2018
I understand I have submitted both in an email and then here, but I was advised to send the letter. I am asking who I send the letter to. Plus, the email said not to respond to it. This is the first time I am using this sight and I am trying to figure things out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I understand I have submitted both in an email and then here, but I was advised to send the letter. I am asking who I send the letter to. Plus, the email said not to respond to it. This is the first time I am using this sight and I am trying to figure things out.
Have you called the school administrative department to ask? Or looked on their website for the directory? It seems you should call them to find out who to send your letter to.
https://www.cuchicago.edu/info/directory/

If you are having trouble with a professor, you should find out who her department supervisor is and contact them Try the directory.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@jjbraid You did submit your case to the helpline and I asked you to provide additional information. Submitting requests to both the forum and the direct helpline at the same time is not advised since it is not possible for the staff here to know what is already being done in direct advocacy and this can lead to confusion.
Since Michele is already working with you on this, I am going to close this to further remarks. But I do urge you to use the link I provided and call the school to find out who to mail your letter to.

Status
Not open for further replies.