Waiver of change fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 1, 2020
I booked a flight with American Airlines in December 2019 for my honeymoon in October 2020. We were scheduled to go to Paris then Barcelona for a cruise to Italy. Unfortunately we had no idea there would be a pandemic. We contacted American Airlines to see if they would waive our change fee of $200 per ticket and they said no.

However I then went to their website and saw anyone now booking a flight through May 31, 2020 for any time in the future would automatically get a waiver of the change fee and then can rebook their travel anytime through December 31, 2021. So when I learned this I contacted the people listed at this website and requested the waiver of a change fee explaining I am requesting the same courtesy you are giving new customers. Instead of that person responding some person from customer service just sent an email saying no waiver of the change fee.

I have not asked them to refund my money just allow us to rebook our honeymoon and not charge up us 400 dollars in a change fee and give us the same courtesy of scheduling through December 31, 2021.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If I were you, I would wait until you are closer to your travel date. The airlines are swamped with customers who have flights this month and next. My bet is that when things settled down a bit, you can write to customer service and politely ask for an exception to the terms of the ticket and reschedule without any penalties. Besides, who knows if this virus will come back with a vengeance in the fall. Airlines might have to start cancelling flights again and offering extensions without penalties. In other words, be patient!

May 1, 2020
If I were you, I would wait until you are closer to your travel date. The airlines are swamped with customers who have flights this month and next. My bet is that when things settled down a bit, you can write to customer service and politely ask for an exception to the terms of the ticket and reschedule without any penalties. Besides, who knows if this virus will come back with a vengeance in the fall. Airlines might have to start cancelling flights again and offering extensions without penalties. In other words, be patient!
Thank you