Waiting for refund from Gibraltar Tours

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 5, 2016
i paid a 50% deposit for a tour that included a tour of Gibraltar, a boat ride to see dolphins and the cable ride to the top to see the apes. A van from a taxi service met us and simply took us to the tunnels, etc. no real "tour" but he did pay the admissions as we got to each place. . The wind was horrible that day and the dolphin excursion and the cable cars were closed. Francis (taxi driver) said the the agent (Anthony) would be giving credit for the closed attractions since we they were on our invoice. We wanted to deduct the 40£ per person from the balance due, but Francis said he was contract labor and he insisted he gets paid from us. There were four other guests in the Van and they also paid their balance at the conclusion.
Now Anthony is not responding to emails. He was very prompt before the tour.
I did contact PayPal. I had used my PayPal MasterCard. In the meantime it is just frustrating.
PayPal goes through a review process. They don't simply credit any disputes like a normal Visa or American Express. I don't want a full refund. I just want the refund for the two attractions and I know for fact he didn't pay in advance. He is not out any money.
I had cruise insurance. Since the cancelation was weather related, would you put in a claim with them, if this company doesn't pony up my money? I have the receipt for the cash balance I paid to the driver and I have the PayPal invoice that specifies exactly what I was expecting.
If any advocate wants to help, here is their contact info.
Tel: + 350 54209000
[email protected]
www.gibraltartours.org

Please visit, and Like our new Facebook page. Click on
www.Facebook.com/seeGibraltar and take a look at what you can expect to see

Thank you!

Nov 3, 2015
Any chance the money was directly credited to your Mastercard rather than being refunded to you personally? Have you checked your statement?

Last time I got into one of these sorts of messes, I had to apologize, because they'd already issued a credit to the card, rather than let me know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: jsn55

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
@Maddie101 Please go to the top of this page and fill out the request for help. This will provide us with more information about your case and give us the ability to contact Gibraltar Tours on your behalf.

Nov 5, 2016
Any chance the money was directly credited to your Visa rather than being refunded to you personally? Have you checked your statement?

Last time I got into one of these sorts of messes, I had to apologize, because they'd already issued a credit to the card, rather than let me know. :rolleyes:
100% sure. And he won't answer emails.

Nov 5, 2016
Neil, I did that, but they do t move fast like a standard MasterCard. PayPal waits until they hear the merchant's side. Could be 30 days before it is resolved. I will just have to be patient and get my money back that way. Thanks for your response

Reactions: Neil Maley

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Neil, I did that, but they do t move fast like a standard MasterCard. PayPal waits until they hear the merchant's side. Could be 30 days before it is resolved. I will just have to be patient and get my money back that way. Thanks for your response
Are you saying you used a Paypal issued MasterCard and not just another MasterCard linked to your Paypal account?

Nov 5, 2016
Are you saying you used a Paypal issued MasterCard and not just another MasterCard linked to your Paypal account?
Yes. I called them. They did not remove disputed amount. They said they would get merchant's side and then take action. If Gibraltar Rock Tours doesn't respond, then I will get the refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then that's what you'll have to do - be patient. They didn't deliver what they said they would. Was there any mention in the description of the tour that they couldn't operate portions on NAD weather?

And thanks for the warning- remind me to never apply for a PayPal card. I don't know how they can get away with not following accepted Master Card dispute practices.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
As in most everything connected with travel, try not to pay for tours in advance. This story is a perfect example ... drivers/guides can't authorize refunds on the spot ... the refunds must be dragged out of the vendor nearly every time. The exception would be a service that's 'guaranteed', such as a shore excursion from a cruise ship. If you must pay in advance, use a reputable credit card that will protect you in the event of trouble.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Nov 3, 2015
I poked around on http://www.gibraltartours.org/ and couldn't find a refund policy (or policies at all, for that matter!) though one of the reviews mentioned receiving a refund under circumstances similar to yours.

If your credit card dispute fails for some reason and the owner maintains radio silence to you, I can see a couple of possible wedges beyond a TripAdvisor review and direct action from Elliott's writers:
1. they claim they are Gibraltar tourist board licensed guides, which would put them under the auspices of this agency: http://www.visitgibraltar.gi/ and this governmental department: https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/tourism-equality-social-services-housing

2. They have a facebook page, with commenting capability: https://www.facebook.com/seeGibraltar

Personally, I would wait out a reasonable length credit card dispute before I started making more waves, but that's my personality.

Last edited:

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
This company has very good ratings on TripAdvisor and the Lw is only asking for a refund of $40. That is why I think contacting the company on this Lw's behalf could work very quickly. Parts of this tour are often cancelled due to winds in that area (The Strait of Gibraltar) This is not an unusual occurrence .
I'm not sure why the van driver asked the LW to pay for the parts of the tour that were not available that day.

Last edited:

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Then that's what you'll have to do - be patient. They didn't deliver what they said they would. Was there any mention in the description of the tour that they couldn't operate portions on NAD weather?

And thanks for the warning- remind me to never apply for a PayPal card. I don't know how they can get away with not following accepted Master Card dispute practices.
I wondered about that too, Neil.
Paypal is notorious for holding Other People's money. I sold something recently and for no good reason they held my money for two weeks. Said something about giving Buyer time to test product (software.)

Dec 9, 2016
Idaho
www.travelimages.com
You know, when you use your credit card you get rewards such as cash or points, right? Well, use PayPal and you get NOTHING. In effect PayPal keeps your rewards.

Regarding the tour, if the company can't deliver a partial refund is in order.

As they even promised one, and didn't deliver - again - an updated review on TripAdvisor is in order.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You know, when you use your credit card you get rewards such as cash or points, right? Well, use PayPal and you get NOTHING. In effect PayPal keeps your rewards.

Regarding the tour, if the company can't deliver a partial refund is in order.

As they even promised one, and didn't deliver - again - an updated review on TripAdvisor is in order.
The original poster has not returned since Nov 5th and it is unlikely she will ever see your comment. In the future you may want to check the dates, a thread over 30 days old should not be revived except by possibly the original poster. This thread is nearly 90 days old. ;)

Reactions: kenish
Dec 9, 2016
Idaho
www.travelimages.com
The original poster has not returned since Nov 5th and it is unlikely she will ever see your comment. In the future you may want to check the dates, a thread over 30 days old should not be revived except by possibly the original poster. This thread is nearly 90 days old. ;)
Oh dear, my apologies.

The story has been listed in Chris's emails these past couple of days, and consequently I thought it was a fresh story. Sorry.

Reactions: JVillegirl541

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis