VRBO not refunding even though we cancelled well within the cancellatio period

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
A number of Hosts balked at this and put it off. VRBO continued to try to get everyone to agree to the Debit Authorization but it may be possible that this Host/Owner never did, so VRBO literally can’t pull the money out.
If this is what happened then VBRO is to blame for letting this particular account stay open. This exact scenario could have been expected, even without mass cancellations because of pandemic.
Most legitimate businesses would not allow a vendor to just ignore an important part of the business model.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Yet one more thought - my initial contact was Michelle Couch-Friedman and she wrote "Our public forums are read by company representatives, and they could see it and try to resolve this quickly." Has anyone ever posted in this forum and heard back from VRBO?
To answer your question, it may happen that a company reads these forums but the likelihood is somewhat low. Especially in a time when everyone is scrambling to deal with what is in front of them.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Jan Leuin, Michelle I believe wrote that sometimes they read and she has found in her direct advocacy that there are certain companies that monitor the forums and try to help the customer if they can.

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 23, 2019
following up to my previous post regarding Hosts/Owners not agreeing to the new terms, here is a screenshot from a FB group of a Host complaining ON MARCH 6 2020 that they cannot answer a Guest Question because they have not yet accepted the new Terms. They in turn post a screenshot showing what VRBO/HomeAway is showing them. A "new" soft deadline of March 31 to Accept the new Terms "or else" their Listing MIGHT be hidden from public view.

Note that OP made their original booking at the end of February and VRBO was setting end of March as a "new" deadline for accepting the Debit Terms.
This screenshot is an example of why I made my post and why I think the OP has no other options at this point other than a ChargeBack on their Credit Card if they are indeed entitled to a full refund.
terms.jpg

May 18, 2020
I wrote this reply last night and forgot to hit SEND but most of it still applies (I think).

From my perspective as a Host that lists property on VRBO, something is not right here.
How did you cancel? Did you initiate the cancellation on your end by going to the VRBO dashboard, clicking MY TRIPS, selecting that particular Reservation, then clicking CANCEL?

If so, and you were entitled to a full refund, it is usually out of the Owners hands as VRBO will just pull money out of the Owners account and refund. These days they are taking 3 weeks just to START the transfer of funds from my account for a refund. I don’t know how long they hold onto the funds after that before refunding the Guest account. That is just my experience.

That being said, there is an issue that may explain this if the scenario you state is correct.
VRBO/HomeAway switched payment processors at the end of 2019.
One of the things they needed Hosts/Owners to do was a new agreement to DEBIT funds from their bank accounts in the event that a refund was necessary. A number of Hosts balked at this and put it off. VRBO continued to try to get everyone to agree to the Debit Authorization but it may be possible that this Host/Owner never did, so VRBO literally can’t pull the money out.

If that is the case, your only option that I can see is a chargeback on your credit card for the remaining amount as mentioned above. (Or the reschedule of dates, but if you don’t have any yet, that is not really a viable option).

Here is the email I received April 1 after I initiated cancellation March 31: "Subject: Cancellation. Thank you for your inquiry. We have received and entered your request to cancel your reservation for May 24 - June 1, 2020. You will receive the refund under the cancellation policy of your reservation. Your SoBeNY Service Hero."

So I think there is no question that the cancellation was received, even though I don't remember specifically if I made it through the VRBO dashboard or not. Not sure how I would find out if the host agreed to debit authorization or not.

Sep 23, 2019
Here is the email I received April 1 after I initiated cancellation March 31: "Subject: Cancellation. Thank you for your inquiry. We have received and entered your request to cancel your reservation for May 24 - June 1, 2020. You will receive the refund under the cancellation policy of your reservation. Your SoBeNY Service Hero."
That is not a standard response from VRBO. That looks like an email from a Property Management Company.
Looking them up it appears they are: sobenewyork.com

Something I did not bring up perviously because I have no personal experience with it is "How VRBO deals with Property Management Companies"
Apparently if you have more than 5 properties listed, you can integrate your own Reservation Software into VRBO.
Payments are then made directly to the Property Management Company through their own Credit Card Processor, bypassing VRBO.
The Property Management Company then pays VRBO their fees.

Find your credit card statement and the line item from when the original amount was billed. What does it say?
If it does not say "VRBO" then your dispute is not with VRBO at all. It is with this "SoBeNY Service" instead.

Jun 27, 2017
The OP said, "We had booked a VRBO in NYC on Feb 24." Haven't there been many issues about the legality of short-term rentals in New York City? Can a Property Management Company like sobenewyork.com insure that their rentals through VRBO are legal? And what does the OP's credit card statement show who received her funds: VRBO or some property management company like sobennewyork.com?