Vouchers expiring in age of COVID19

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 24, 2020
I had the value of an unused ticket of almost $900 that was set to expire in early May, 2020. I called at the beginning of this back in January or February when airlines started to amend their change and cancellation policies in response to travel disruptions caused by the pandemic. I had planned to use the voucer to travel in summer 2020 to go to China, SEAsia, or west africa). As time progressed travel to anywhere in the world became basically improbable, if not impossible and certainly not able to be done with reasonable risk to health. I was told the voucher would not come under the new cancel/change policies and to wait and see if the policies changed or travel became possible. I called every two weeks and received the same reponse regarding change/cancel but different information about when and how I had to use the voucher. What is in dispute was not the use by date, but when travel had to to started/completed. Different calls yielded different answers. I called yesterday and facing a 4.5 hour wait time I had could not wait. Called again 7 hours later - same 4.5 hour wait time. Tried chat online ... was told 5-10 min. for a response... 45 min. later someone responded saying - wait for it... call an agent. But.. it was a new number tha promised a hold time of 4-5 minutes. 35 minutes later I got an agent who understood my predicament. Was told that the travel had to commence by May 8th. Where could I go? She spoke to someone and told me they were going to refund the voucher. I think Delta recognized that there are going to be unique situations and that the generally they are encouraging people to travel in the future and to reduce risk of losing value of money spent. She said it wold be too complicated to extend the voucher and risky that something would go wrong so a refund was issued. Wondering what others are experiencing with expiring vouchers and how airlines are treating them.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Your's is the first post regarding expiring vouchers. I have to commend Delta for handling it the way they are by offering to refund you. Kudos to them for doing something they really aren't required to do.

Reactions: AJBraxton and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Three cheers for Delta! Now I wonder which airline you will chose the next time you're ready to plan a trip? Makes me happy to read your story, very happy.

Reactions: AJBraxton
Apr 24, 2020
Well.. after telling me my refund would come in one or two billing cycles... just one business day later the money has been refunded to my account. Whereas I am not a frequent flyer of Delta I do have their AMEX Credit Card so I wonder if that had any impact on the speed of completing this matter...

Reactions: Patina and Warren

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Delta has been the best of the large airlines in their response to this crisis. No offense, but I doubt it had anything to do with having their credit card!