Voucher or Refund Eligible?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 24, 2020
In January, I booked round trip non-refundable tickets to NYC thru Expedia for a wedding this weekend. The wedding got canceled due to the Coronvirus. American's website says they will give a voucher for travel valid through the end of 2020. Last week, I got an email that the return leg of my trip was canceled by American and they were unable to rebook a flight.

I am wondering if that changes my options in terms of getting a refund instead of a voucher, as I don't know if/when the wedding is being rescheduled, (they're still getting married this weekend, but just immediate family will be there) and I don't have any other travel plans the remainder of the year.

I did buy the trip cancellation insurance thru Expedia, but would prefer not to go that route since American is offering options. I assume I need to go thru Expedia for the cancellation/refund even though American contacted me to say the return flight was cancelled?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In January, I booked round trip non-refundable tickets to NYC thru Expedia for a wedding this weekend. The wedding got canceled due to the Coronvirus. American's website says they will give a voucher for travel valid through the end of 2020. Last week, I got an email that the return leg of my trip was canceled by American and they were unable to rebook a flight.

I am wondering if that changes my options in terms of getting a refund instead of a voucher, as I don't know if/when the wedding is being rescheduled, (they're still getting married this weekend, but just immediate family will be there) and I don't have any other travel plans the remainder of the year.

I did buy the trip cancellation insurance thru Expedia, but would prefer not to go that route since American is offering options. I assume I need to go thru Expedia for the cancellation/refund even though American contacted me to say the return flight was cancelled?
Most insurance is not covering this outbreak. Is the outbound ticket canceled or just the return? Did Expedia book two one way tickets or a round trip?

Mar 31, 2020
I also booked airline tickets on American and United for a 2 week trip to St. Martin which we cancelled due to this virus. Airlines want to give me a credit for future travel.....my husband is 86 and we just want our money back....not a credit for future travel. We also booked 2 weeks at a resort in St. Martin which we also had to cancel...and they too want to give us a credit for future travel. Why is it the Federal Government is giving trillions in taxpayer money to the travel industries in bailouts due to this virus but we Americans can't get a simple refund for the same? Its unfair to say the least!

Jan 19, 2018
I just received a full refund from AA for cancelled flights US to France March 25. I did book directly with them. Hotel was booked through Orbitz, so I needed to contact them for that refund. So yes, you will have to go through Expedia for the refund. Take screen shots of any cancellations on the AA website just in case. As long as AA cancelled the trip , and not you, DOT regulations allow for a refund from the airline. A bird in hand is better than two in a bush.
On a side note I posted a question a few days ago and have seen no response. United is flouting DOT rules by offering the worst vouchers ever instead of refunds. Their current position is the voucher is refundable after 12 mos. If the flight you book costs more than the voucher you pay the difference, if it cost less they keep the difference! Heads United wins, Tails you loose. I saw yesterday that United just back pedaled charging redeposit fees for cancelled flights purchased with FF miles. Any thoughts on what we, as consumers, can do about our refunds?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just received a full refund from AA for cancelled flights US to France March 25. I did book directly with them. Hotel was booked through Orbitz, so I needed to contact them for that refund. So yes, you will have to go through Expedia for the refund. Take screen shots of any cancellations on the AA website just in case. As long as AA cancelled the trip , and not you, DOT regulations allow for a refund from the airline. A bird in hand is better than two in a bush.
On a side note I posted a question a few days ago and have seen no response. United is flouting DOT rules by offering the worst vouchers ever instead of refunds. Their current position is the voucher is refundable after 12 mos. If the flight you book costs more than the voucher you pay the difference, if it cost less they keep the difference! Heads United wins, Tails you loose. I saw yesterday that United just back pedaled charging redeposit fees for cancelled flights purchased with FF miles. Any thoughts on what we, as consumers, can do about our refunds?
File a DOT complaint.

Mar 24, 2020
Most insurance is not covering this outbreak. Is the outbound ticket canceled or just the return? Did Expedia book two one way tickets or a round trip?
Only the return flight was cancelled by American. It was a round trip ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You’ll have to ask Expedia. Most of the airlines are telling you that you need to go back to the company you booked through. They are all calling force majeure. And they are inconsistent with their policies.

Mar 24, 2020
You’ll have to ask Expedia. Most of the airlines are telling you that you need to go back to the company you booked through. They are all calling force majeure. And they are inconsistent with their policies.
Well, I've been on hold with Expedia for about 3 1/2 hours and think it's futile. Meantime, American sent another email saying I can cancel online and contact Expedia when I am ready to rebook. I'm not comfortable with American telling me how to deal with Expedia.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In the future, book direct. There are countless complaints about people that booked with an OTA and can’t get through.

If you can cancel online, I’m not so sure that you wouldn’t be able to rebook yourself. If should go by your confirmation number and if that’s the case, I don’t see why you would have to go through Expedia.

Reactions: Patina

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Carol, I remember responding to your post about the ridiculous United voucher 12-month plan. It's nuts ... but things are changing so fast you almost need to check every day to get your issues solved. I redeposited an award tix last week with no fee, and I no longer have status with United, so I was quite surprised. The only thing I know for sure right now is that all travel providers will twist themselves inside out to avoid giving refunds. As a business owner, I understand their rationale, but as a human being, I understand that people should be receiving refunds. I'm grateful to know that I can get help from this forum on almost any travel problem that comes up ... especially now.

Reactions: BittyBoo

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, I've been on hold with Expedia for about 3 1/2 hours and think it's futile. Meantime, American sent another email saying I can cancel online and contact Expedia when I am ready to rebook. I'm not comfortable with American telling me how to deal with Expedia.
You really have no choice but to contact Expedia, Marc. Such a shame, but these online services have little customer service. Do hey offer any kind of call-back plan? How about online chat? Calling in the middle of the night? You have my sympathy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BittyBoo