USPS help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 18, 2020
On April 22nd, I mailed a package via Global Express International to Israel. Guaranteed arrival date was May 3rd. The tracking showed the package going from the Skokie post office to the International Distribution Center in Chicago that same day. That was the last update I had as I was tracking it. On May 3rd it had not arrived and I had heard from someone else that packages were not being sent to Israel as of April 29th. On May 4th, I called the USPS and was told that indeed packages were not getting sent and that it would be returned to me in one week. That did not happen.It had gotten as far as the Elk Grove Village distribution center on May 7th. On May 13th, I called the USPS. While on hold for 1hour and 20 minutes, I filed an inquiry online with the USPS customer service. Finally, Donna Taylor from Portland Oregon USPS came on the phone and told me that packages were still not going to Israel though the website stated otherwise. She additionally responded to the online inquiry. Shortly thereafter, she sent me another email letting me know that there was a change in status of service to Israel and as of May 8th, packages were being sent there. On May 14th, the tracking status showed "
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER on May 14, 2020 at 8:10 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination". There have been no further updates nor update for expected delivery date.
Being that this package was sent Priority Express Mail International for quicker delivery(3-5 business days) and at a higher price than Priority Mail International (6-10 business days), , do I have any recourse to ask USPS to refund the difference between the two costs for mailing of the package. I realize that circumstances are unusual with the COVID-19 but there was time from April 22 until April 29 when service was disrupted to get the package to Israel.
Your help id greatly appreciated.

May 18, 2020
I think that is only for a total refund of postage if the item doesn't arrive. I am hoping it will make it there but I feel that I should get a refund on part of the cost. Do you think that will work here?

Reactions: TiaBessa 63
May 18, 2020
UPDATE: So I followed advice and filed for the international inquiry. USPS wrote back with a case number on mY 18th. I did not hear back from them and called again USPS customer service on May 26th. After holding for 1 hr 43 min someone came on. I got transferred to international. The international case inquiry from May 18th was nowhere to be found so she started a new inquiry. There is no new tracking info on package available since May 14th. I called the international USPS department again who confirmed that the inquiry that I filed online on May 18th cannot be found. No new information on package. I should be patient and give it another week.
Do you have any other suggestions?

May 18, 2020
I am reaching out for further help on this issue. As I wrote , the first inquiry done on line on May 18th cannot be found in the system. The last tracking on this package was May 14th at the Chicago IL Distribution Center. The case was "escalated" on Monday June 8th. I was told I would hear from the International Research Group but that rep was in no mood to help. I called back to Int. Customer Service on Tues June 9th and this rep was pleasanter and said, "they just need to put their hands on the package" and it would go to its destination: Israel. Well Friday things changed! I went to check the tracking again and someone erased the tracking history which unfortunately I did not take a picture of. They also erased the Guaranteed Delivery by May 3 date. The only information was the same as on May 14th however with a new date.So yet again I called customer service. After 1 hour 16 min wait, this rep told me the package was returned to sender on May 8th and that is where it is going. Not sure why it hasn't arrived as the package was in Chicago and needs to go the sender -in Chicago! She wasn't very pleasant either. Now today there is an update. "June 13, 2020 In Transit to Next Facility Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility. " This is very suspicious as there isn't even a time stamp.

At this point I wonder if the package was stolen and that person somehow has hijacked the tracking information. After all, if they have the package, they also have the tracking number. I am attaching the original tracking from day one and the ones from Friday and Saturday.
Any help from you would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Obviously, your package is not where anyone thinks it might be. I have little faith in the post office, so I would go back to the original shipper that you paid to deliver the package.

May 18, 2020
The original shipper was the USPS in Skokie, Illinois. I personally dropped the package there.

There is obviously something illegal about the situation now. What should be my next step legally? To whom can I turn?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The original shipper was the USPS in Skokie, Illinois. I personally dropped the package there.

There is obviously something illegal about the situation now. What should be my next step legally? To whom can I turn?
Why do you think there is something illegal? The post office occasionally loses things; their operations have been disrupted locally, nationally, and internationally in the same way every business has been disrupted. Your package may appear at its destination or be returned to you at some point in the future, or it may never appear. At the present, other than trying to continue to track using the number you have there is nothing else you can do.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Obviously, your package is not where anyone thinks it might be. I have little faith in the post office, so I would go back to the original shipper that you paid to deliver the package.
Global Express International

• Angry
May 18, 2020
The reason I feel something illegal is going on is the change in the tracking site. I have tracked other USPS packages and nothing has happened like thisl Please refer back to the pictures I posted Saturday. The entire tracking history from April 21 thru May 14 was wiped out. The expected delivery date was erased. The entry on June 13 did not have a time stamp nor say what facility it was going to. It is very suspicious.

For argument sake if I am correct please advise me what my next step should be. Where can I go to lodge a complaint that I feel there is something not right going on here?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The reason I feel something illegal is going on is the change in the tracking site. I have tracked other USPS packages and nothing has happened like thisl Please refer back to the pictures I posted Saturday. The entire tracking history from April 21 thru May 14 was wiped out. The expected delivery date was erased. The entry on June 13 did not have a time stamp nor say what facility it was going to. It is very suspicious.

For argument sake if I am correct please advise me what my next step should be. Where can I go to lodge a complaint that I feel there is something not right going on here?
Other than the USPS contact forms, there is nothing else to do.
As you may be aware the current administration is trying to stop funding the USPS.

Sep 18, 2018
So you think that someone has stolen your package and is changing the tracking information, not that a USPS customer rep has changed the data in response to your calls and the constantly changing shipping info for this package? Doesn't the latter seem much more likely?

The reality is that the USPS gets millions of packages and other mail where they need to go reliably most of the time. When it doesn't, as in this case, it rarely can be resolved and you're out of luck unless you bought insurance and can file a claim (and even that is a pain).

I once sent a box of DVDs by USPS that never reached its destination; it also disappeared from tracking once it hit Chicago. Two months later, in response to an "investigation," I received a torn piece of cardboard in an envelope with a piece of the mailing label on it. That was all that was left. "Case closed." No recourse or refund, unless insurance was bought.

Your best tack is to return to the post office where you sent it from, explain the situation to the postmaster there and see if they will advocate on your behalf. Calling national customer reps doesn't appear to be getting you anywhere. Nor will claiming that a thief is changing tracking info.

Oct 10, 2018
My daughter was in the Peace Corps in Cameroon for a couple of years, and it was always a crap shoot how long packages would take to reach her. USPS would accept the package, then it would be in transit anywhere from a week to two months, because it wouldn't leave NYC until the air freight container it was traveling in was filled up, and the whole time it would show as "in transit". If package volume is down, your shipment may just be waiting for enough others to fill the next Israel-bound container.

May 18, 2020
So you think that someone has stolen your package and is changing the tracking information, not that a USPS customer rep has changed the data in response to your calls and the constantly changing shipping info for this package? Doesn't the latter seem much more likely?

The reality is that the USPS gets millions of packages and other mail where they need to go reliably most of the time. When it doesn't, as in this case, it rarely can be resolved and you're out of luck unless you bought insurance and can file a claim (and even that is a pain).

I once sent a box of DVDs by USPS that never reached its destination; it also disappeared from tracking once it hit Chicago. Two months later, in response to an "investigation," I received a torn piece of cardboard in an envelope with a piece of the mailing label on it. That was all that was left. "Case closed." No recourse or refund, unless insurance was bought.

Your best tack is to return to the post office where you sent it from, explain the situation to the postmaster there and see if they will advocate on your behalf. Calling national customer reps doesn't appear to be getting you anywhere. Nor will claiming that a thief is changing tracking info.
I took your advice and went to the post office from where I mailed it. Postmaster was supposed to be in but switched day off. I talked to a supervisor there. She could not tell me anything other than the fact that the package appeared to be in Chicago. She did give me the number of a USPS consumer affairs in Milwaukee who has the capability of contacting someone in the Chicago IL International Distribution Center. The goal is to find out if package is being returned to me or being sent on to Israel. I reached out to them and they were able to see all of the tracking and will try to find the package and where it is headed. Here's praying this works!!!

Jun 14, 2016
What about going to the USPS Inspector General to file a complaint?
I work for USPS and the Inspector General is NOT for missing packages, especially International Packages. It will get referred to the local Post Office or the International folks for resolution. The Inspector General is for major financial wrongdoings, like stealing money out of the till.

As others have said above, this whole COVID-19 situation has thrown all transportation out of whack. USPS has had to do six shipments by ship to handle parcels to Europe because there are no flights to put anything on. Most countries are not even accepting mail from other places, including the US. Just in case the parcel was damaged in handling, file a missing mail search at the link I'm going to give you, it's the one at the bottom. https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

As for no time stamp on the "in transit" scan, there never is one. I work with this all day every day. Continue working with the folks in Consumer Affairs in Milwaukee. Nothing is the norm right now. Have patience, I know it's hard but due to the sheer amount of parcels in the system right now, things are just bananas.

Apr 10, 2017
I work for USPS and the Inspector General is NOT for missing packages, especially International Packages. It will get referred to the local Post Office or the International folks for resolution. The Inspector General is for major financial wrongdoings, like stealing money out of the till.

As others have said above, this whole COVID-19 situation has thrown all transportation out of whack. USPS has had to do six shipments by ship to handle parcels to Europe because there are no flights to put anything on. Most countries are not even accepting mail from other places, including the US. Just in case the parcel was damaged in handling, file a missing mail search at the link I'm going to give you, it's the one at the bottom. https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

As for no time stamp on the "in transit" scan, there never is one. I work with this all day every day. Continue working with the folks in Consumer Affairs in Milwaukee. Nothing is the norm right now. Have patience, I know it's hard but due to the sheer amount of parcels in the system right now, things are just bananas.
The usual practices of patience (lots of it), persistence and politeness are the way to go. I found with a few issues at my small local PO that getting the postmaster on my side helped to fix things.