Upgraded? New Data plan put in place and now I have a $700 phone bill.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2019
I will give you guys the cliff notes, since everyone hates reading novels

ATT Plan with two lines $130 a month:
  • Line 1. Phone line with iPhone
  • Line 2. Wifi Hotspot
  1. Phone dies due to an update (that I had no control over) on Xmas
  2. Wait a few days till store opens to have phone examined (forced to buy new phone)
  3. 1st phone bill with new phone goes over data amount
  4. Contact ATT via chat about the issue and they claim error on their end and waive the overages
  5. Next month I get overage warnings halfway through my billing cycle I contact them again and they set up a new plan for me after being in a chat room for over 14 hours!!; Two ATT plans, 1; with the Hotspot with 10GB unlimited that will use data from plan 2 when its over 10GB.Plan 2; Phone line with iPhone with 30GB unlimited all for $130+ tax a month. (crazy deal?)
  6. I am told to ignore overage charges as they will be waived next billing cycle
  7. Next bill arrives and its way over. Contact ATT again, and I have been kicked out of chats, they have expired, Blah blah. Over 20+ some hours of being in chat rooms, on hold, and now and I am told the plan doesn't exist although I have saved all of the chat data and can prove what i was told.
So what's my next move? My bill has now reached $6XX.XX and it closer to $700. I was in a chat with someone since 12 noon today and it's now 5pm and they stopped responding as they were checking on "notes" to deal with my bill. Im afraid they timed out.

**I also have Chat transcripts of all this back and forth for the past three months**

PLEASE HELP.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Reactions: Jdesign

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ATT, oh dear. A singularly-difficult company to work with. I know little about phones, so hopefully my more learned colleagues will appear shortly. I'll read your post carefully, but I really just wanted you to know that it's here and help is on the way ... I hope. In the meantime, read past threads about ATT.

Reactions: Jdesign
Sep 4, 2019
I know this goes against our usual advice here, but have you spoken to anyone over the phone about this? I’ve had a few issues with them over the years, but when I’ve been able to speak to a representative I’ve usually gotten them to correct my account immediately, where I can log in while I’m on the phone and see the promised credits and changes.

(the most fun issue was when someone else called to have their account changed to no data, plan based in Canada, with roadside assistance added - and AT&T made the changes to my account instead. Once they understood what happened they untangled the worst of that one immediately and I had my old rollover minutes added back within a few days.)

Reactions: Mel65 and Jdesign
Feb 28, 2019
I know this goes against our usual advice here, but have you spoken to anyone over the phone about this? I’ve had a few issues with them over the years, but when I’ve been able to speak to a representative I’ve usually gotten them to correct my account immediately, where I can log in while I’m on the phone and see the promised credits and changes.
Do you have a number which is the best? I called once but after being on hold for over an hour I hung up.

Nov 22, 2019
I got some similar issues with AT&T and dishonnest sale persons. I would advice to post a message to the AT&T forum, then AT&T care will ask you to send a private message. They were able to solve many issues in the past. Then the company contacts should work as well.

But how can you get a bill of $600 with a plan at $130? Is there some other charges? How many $15 data package did they add? or did you refuse to pay the older ones as there were some extra charges? I am confused on this part.

Also when you said that first phone died, was it on contract? When one of my phone died by 2nd year in US, I ended up with family plan with 2 lines, me and my broken phone after visiting AT&T store for help.

Reactions: jsn55 and Jdesign
Feb 28, 2019
I got some similar issues with AT&T and dishonnest sale persons. I would advice to post a message to the AT&T forum, then AT&T care will ask you to send a private message. They were able to solve many issues in the past. Then the company contacts should work as well.

But how can you get a bill of $600 with a plan at $130? Is there some other charges? How many $15 data package did they add? or did you refuse to pay the older ones as there were some extra charges? I am confused on this part.

Also when you said that first phone died, was it on contract? When one of my phone died by 2nd year in US, I ended up with family plan with 2 lines, me and my broken phone after visiting AT&T store for help.
they charged me $10 overages per GB and when I tried to resolve my first bill it never was fixed although they said it was and I would be emailed a confirmation...I never got the confirmation and it wasn't resolved so I never paid it. the $600 is two months worth.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

(the most fun issue was when someone else called to have their account changed to no data, plan based in Canada, with roadside assistance added - and AT&T made the changes to my account instead. Once they understood what happened they untangled the worst of that one immediately and I had my old rollover minutes added back within a few days.)
Jessamyn, you could make a fortune communicating with ATT on others' behalf! They were my phone system at the office and at home for YEARS. Dealt with them only by phone ... couldn't get them to do much ... or if they did, the fix only lasted a short amount of time. That is a funny story about changing your account so radically at someone else's instructions. Glad to see that someone can get along with ATT; thanks for posting this.

Sep 4, 2019
Jessamyn, you could make a fortune communicating with ATT on others' behalf! They were my phone system at the office and at home for YEARS. Dealt with them only by phone ... couldn't get them to do much ... or if they did, the fix only lasted a short amount of time. That is a funny story about changing your account so radically at someone else's instructions. Glad to see that someone can get along with ATT; thanks for posting this.
To be fair, the universe has balanced itself with my Comcast/Xfinity experience.

Being patient and persistent - and always beginning conversations as if it’s CLEARLY an accident that they would naturally want to fix - has usually gotten my issues corrected with AT&T. I had the Canada issue, a sudden increase in texts where they backdated a plan change to avoid the charges, and a random overcharge when I was out of the country all fixed by being apologetic over the phone. I wish I knew the magic phrase to help out here.

But on those lines, I can definitely see a business account with them being exactly what you experienced. Way too easy to pass blame around and pretend they don’t know what you’re talking about.

Jan 11, 2019
So you have 10GB with plan one and 30GB with plan 2? Or is it unlimited? Are you going over? It's not hard to do, especially if you're watching videos or streaming movies. I have had AT&T over 20 years and any issues I've had were resolved immediately. I have 3 lines with 20GB.and my 14 yr. old thinks it's his life's goal to watch every YouTube video in existence. We never get charged an overage, they just slow your wifi down if you go over your allowance. I always call because I can explain better that way, but they send an email afterwards asking if my problem was resolved. I would definitely call. I'm also confused as to why you'd have 2 lines and use one as a wifi hotspot. I've never heard of that. My daughter uses her own phone as a hotspot. No need for a 2nd line. She just gets a larger data package. This all can be so confusing at times, so my apologies if I am misunderstanding.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
The narrative is confusing. What is a 10gb unlimited plan? 10gb is not unlimited and one phone cannot have two plans and “switch over” between them. Our phone stores are still open here. Can you go into an ATT store and sort thru all this??

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The narrative is confusing. What is a 10gb unlimited plan? 10gb is not unlimited and one phone cannot have two plans and “switch over” between them. Our phone stores are still open here. Can you go into an ATT store and sort thru all this??
Going to an ATT store to argue about a bill would be ill-advised at this point in time. This can wait for weeks or months.

Jun 22, 2019
I "fixed" my AT&T excessively high bill problems. I switched to Consumer Cellular and now have a bill for two phones of about $75 a month, unlimited talk and text, 15 Gb data. I am saving about $150 per month. I have not had problems with signal strength--Consumer Cellular uses AT&T and T-Mobile.

Sep 18, 2018
I "fixed" my AT&T excessively high bill problems. I switched to Consumer Cellular and now have a bill for two phones of about $75 a month, unlimited talk and text, 15 Gb data. I am saving about $150 per month. I have not had problems with signal strength--Consumer Cellular uses AT&T and T-Mobile.
Yep. Same here. I still have AT&T service, because Consumer Cellular uses its towers where I live, but not the high bill. Better yet, when my daughter who lives overseas visits for a few months, I add a line for her for just $15 a month -- she just slips the free SIM card in her phone -- and then remove the line when she leaves.

Consumer Cellular aggressively markets to the AARP crowd, so it has a rep as the "old people" network. But there really is no drop in service, and users of all ages should have no issue. The customer service is fantastic. The only downside is that you can't do international calling or roaming.

Jun 22, 2019
I know yoou can do international calling from Mexico to the US and from the US to a lot of countries. All you have to do is change the SIM card--which they will send you for free.

Feb 28, 2019
So you have 10GB with plan one and 30GB with plan 2? Or is it unlimited? Are you going over? It's not hard to do, especially if you're watching videos or streaming movies. I have had AT&T over 20 years and any issues I've had were resolved immediately. I have 3 lines with 20GB.and my 14 yr. old thinks it's his life's goal to watch every YouTube video in existence. We never get charged an overage, they just slow your wifi down if you go over your allowance. I always call because I can explain better that way, but they send an email afterwards asking if my problem was resolved. I would definitely call. I'm also confused as to why you'd have 2 lines and use one as a wifi hotspot. I've never heard of that. My daughter uses her own phone as a hotspot. No need for a 2nd line. She just gets a larger data package. This all can be so confusing at times, so my apologies if I am misunderstanding.
plan 1: 10gb
plan 2: 30gb unlimited

This is what I was switched to when I contact ATT via chat. the 10gb plan was a hotspot, and I was told it would pull from the unlimited plan when 10gb was used up. This was a lie I later found out as 10gb is a very small amount for a hotspot.

It is confusing and I agree with all of that. I asked even when it was offered and they confirmed it would work. They were wrong (ATT rep). I went to the ATT store after being offered a new plan and potential "Wireless WIFI" plan. The ATT store that the ATT rep told me to go to over the phone said they were unable to help at all and everything would need to be handled over the phone.

I will look into them if this isn't resolved. Im not sure if thats an option where I am located.

Feb 28, 2019
So here's an update.

I called ATT and waited on hold for about 2 hours. I got through and spoke with two seperate people. Rep1 understood the issue, saw my account and bill and agreed it was a mess and a nightmare, but did not have the power to offer me anything besides a small discount which we both agreed wasn't a good solution. After being on the phone for 3 hours, he apologized and said to contact the loyalty team. I hung up, problem still there.

I called ATT the following day and requested the loyalty department as Rep1 suggested. This time only on hold for about 1 hour, I got in contact with Rep2 who I spent a good 3 hours on the phone with. He was a little more difficult to work with as he seemed to be more confused by the situation and also harder to understand with his accent and bad microphone . Ultimately he offered me a plan that he told me I would need to go to the store to purchase a wireless wifi system before he could activate my new plan. (I will explain more shortly)

With a new plan, "plan" I still explained that my current bill needed to be fixed as I have overage charges that should not be there due to this error. This in itself was a battle and he finally agreed that the overage charges were a mistake and he was able to remove them but it would take 48 hours. But here is where is gets annoying. The overages were not the only problem, previously my bill is on average $160 a month. With his adjustments, he still claimed my bill was going to be $230 a month before taxes. He said that there is a change nationwide that all plans have increased the access charges from $15 to $50 a month.
IS THAT TRUE?

With that, I also have an additional installment charge for my new phone now, with the monthly payment of $35 to pay off my phone (makes sense). This would make my bill closer to $200 a month. After trying to get him to explain the $50 access fee increase he frustratedly backdated my plan to the original plan I had before all of this; 1plan, 2 lines, but said it was going to be the same price, $230 a month.(Mind you he did this all while putting me on hold and didn't explain that's what he was doing) Unhappy and frustrated, he said I should go to the store and they could possibly explain in better detail than he could.

After I am off the phone with him, I went directly to the store (I made him confirm they were open and available to set this up). They store said he called, but did not explain anything to them. After looking at what they could see of my bill and plan, they said it would not work and they didn't have any of the wireless wifi devices, and actually didn't even know what I was referring to. Basically the new plan would not work. After talking to the store employee and telling him the entire nightmare, he said for documentation sake, I should wait till the changes he made on my plan take effect, and then contact ATT again via chat so that I can keep record of everything.

So here I am today, still stuck and unable to figure this mess out. I checked my bill again and the overage charges are now gone, but I still have an extra $50 a month I am being charged. I went to open a new chat the last three days and it says "chat busy" which Im sure is because of the COVID 19.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
If you previously had one line and now you have two plus a new phone, an increase of $50 a month over your previous bill seems legit; or is this $50 MORE than you were told it would be?

Nov 22, 2019
The access fee is $50 for all plans. If you have your own phone or AT&T Next, it is discounted to $15 for plans with limited data, $25 for plans wil unlimitted data. If you have a device (iPad, wifi hotspot) with a two years contract, you pay the $50.
Note that AT&T salesmen are themseleves confused (or using the confusion) on this: AT&T Next 24 months is a 2 years loan at 0% interests (30-months actually), access line is $15 or $25. AT&T 2 years contract is a discounted phone with 2 years contract, so $50 access fee.