United Travel Switcheroo........

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 12, 2017

> Hello Chris,
> My partner and I have enjoyed your column for some time.
>
> I would like to share a booking experience with UAL to
> Hawaii that was an
> extreme aggravation with a negative outcome. On Jan 23
> we contacted United
> via phone as their website was malfunctioning. We
> wanted to book round
> trip, first class passage to HNL over Thanksgiving. We
> were connected to an
> off shore call center and there seemed to be some level of
> communication
> difficulty. Being aware of the potential
> problems, I made sure I was very
> explicit about my desire for first class and all other
> pertinent details. I
> was quoted about $923.40 per person, round trip and was
> given first class
> seat assignments at that time, seats 1L and 1K. The
> printed itinerary is
> attached. I asked the CSR three times t to confirm
> that these were round
> trip first class tickets. The answer was always
> "yes." Shortly after
> hanging up with UAL, additional charges beyond the
> $1846.80 combined charge
> for two tickets began showing up on our credit card.
> We immediately called
> back and inquired about these charges. We were told
> that they were the
> first class upgrade charges. Well, you can imagine how
> the conversation
> went from there! We spent all afternoon on
> the phone trying to explain to
> all levels of supervisory personnel that we agreed to
> certain terms of
> travel and that I was in possession of an invoice from
> United describing
> those terms and showing our first class seating
> assignment. Not one single
> person could offer any explanation why this was happening to
> us and acted as
> though we had no such documentation. I felt extremely
> frustrated and
> powerless. This is not the first time
> United has fleeced me on a travel
> charges (double charged me for bag check for which I have
> never been
> reimbursed). I don't travel much for pleasure but when I go long
> distances I prefer the
> comfort of first class. I am not the kind of person
> who wants something for
> nothing but I was very careful conveying my desires while
> booking. I feel
> all the blame here lies with United and they should honor
> their booking with
> us. Thanks for listening.
>
> Regards, Icky.....
>
>
>

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Advocate
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
No the link when opens is just Code. Do a screen shot and post that.

PS $900 and change could not possibly be 2 RT tickets to Hawaii in FC. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!
Hi - To be fair George does say it was "$923.40 per person" rather that in total but still your point about too good to be true is spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVillegirl541

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
So what are the Additional charges? Remember we can't see the link. BTW United will never stand behind a pricing error. As you called right back (I'm assuming in 24 hrs or less) you had the opportunity to cancel and get your money back. The UA overseas service center is notorious for Agents whose language skills are horrible. Personally I will walk before booking UA and they used to be my airline of choice. Why? Exactly for what you are experiencing right now! :(

Mar 12, 2017
I can't help beyond asking the same questions my colleagues are ... but I HAD to tell you that I love your screen name, @ickyoldman :)
Thanks folks.....Remember I am not George......but I am ICKY.......We are currently trying to post the attachment so everyone can see. I asked them 3x that this was for 1st class and they said yes......

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks folks.....Remember I am not George......but I am ICKY.......We are currently trying to post the attachment so everyone can see. I asked them 3x that this was for 1st class and they said yes......
Oh we believe you it's just that UA doesn't care! ;) and won't give you FC at the price you feel was quoted.

Mar 12, 2017
So what are the Additional charges? Remember we can't see the link. BTW United will never stand behind a pricing error. As you called right back (I'm assuming in 24 hrs or less) you had the opportunity to cancel and get your money back. The UA overseas service center is notorious for Agents whose language skills are horrible. Personally I will walk before booking UA and they used to be my airline of choice. Why? Exactly for what you are experiencing right now! :(
Additional charges were 1000 per person......

Mar 12, 2017
Well that little jewel should have been BOLDED in your First post! And for FC on UA to Hawaii that's about right. So did you cancel in the first 24 hrs. And get you $ back?
No.......we really had no other choice as there were no real other options to get there at that time......

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
No.......we really had no other choice as there were no real other options to get there at that time......
Actually for FC tickets over a holiday it does not seem out of line either. To get real English speakers when calling UA customer service I choose the Spanish option and usually end up speaking with someone based in the US :)

Note: this does not always work, but usually it does.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hate to say it but I would have hung up
Immediately and waited until the website was working and booked those tickets online. Once there was a language barrier, never trust what they say. I wish they could pull the tape of your conversation because I am sure you are telling it like it is. That price is unrealistic and even you knew to question it.

If you have your original confirmation showing the price and then you had emails with additional charges, you should go up the executive chain we have listed and start writing.

Mar 12, 2017
Being that I am not only icky but computer illiterate my partner is having trouble doing a screen shot but she will ask someone at work on Tuesday......I have tried to upload on my Mac from different sources to no avail.......stay tuned. This is not the first time that UAL has screwed me over.......Previously they double charged me for luggage fees and I did all the required procedures for a refund which never happened. I have had it with that organization enough to start fighting back. I have copies of the actual itinerary showing FC seat assignments......just have to get them uploaded! Thanks for your input so far......Icky

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm sorry Icky I'm sure you do have FC seat assignments and a charge on your account to pay for them!

Because I'm so computer stupid I sometime just take a picture with my iPhone of what's on the other computer in front of me. Point and shoot and then post that! Or print it out, use a black marker to remove your names, locator code and anything else that identifies you. And then take a picture and upload that.

As to the double charge of bags, after following all the rules for a correction of an error at that point you "dispute" the extra charge with your credit card provider. You just need to supply the proof of the double charge and your attempts to follow the required course to refund. This is often where the screen shots or cell phone pictures are necessary to document your correspondence with a company thru online portals.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Icky, where are you flying from? United first class tickets during Thanksgiving week are $2500 max from Newark, and about $1500 from LAX. You were definitely overcharged. Do you have an email confirmation with first class seat assignments at the $900 price?

I assume you do not want a refund but you want United to honor the price you were quoted.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Icky, where are you flying from? United first class tickets during Thanksgiving week are $2500 max from Newark, and about $1500 from LAX. You were definitely overcharged. Do you have an email confirmation with first class seat assignments at the $900 price?

I assume you do not want a refund but you want United to honor the price you were quoted.
I'm think he paid about $1950 per person RT and that is a good price.