United Airlines changes its mind again. A 2-hour significant schedule change means passengers will be refunded their airfare and any paid fees.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This may allow those who were previously refused refunds by UA to get them.
This change is retroactive, so if you previously were left with no choice but to accept an ETC, you can now request a refund to your original form of payment, assuming your itinerary had been impacted by a change of two hours or more, and you haven’t already redeemed your voucher.

Jul 8, 2020
With my United round trip flights that were cancelled, the new outbound flight is 2 hours and 5 minutes later and the new return flight is less than 2 hours different. Does this mean I am not entitled to a refund? If so, is there a way that I can get a voucher good for more than 1 year? If I am still entitled to a refund because one of the flights is over 2 hours different, what is the best way to obtain the refund? I looked at United's refund page and it didn't seem to cover the flight cancelled and re-booked situation. The Corporate contacts page for United says to use the airline’s help form before contacting executives. Should I do that and maybe also email the customer care email?

Thanks for any help.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
With my United round trip flights that were cancelled, the new outbound flight is 2 hours and 5 minutes later and the new return flight is less than 2 hours different. Does this mean I am not entitled to a refund? If so, is there a way that I can get a voucher good for more than 1 year? If I am still entitled to a refund because one of the flights is over 2 hours different, what is the best way to obtain the refund? I looked at United's refund page and it didn't seem to cover the flight cancelled and re-booked situation. The Corporate contacts page for United says to use the airline’s help form before contacting executives. Should I do that and maybe also email the customer care email?

Thanks for any help.
United vouchers are good for 24 months (even if they say otherwise on the voucher), and can be used for flights up to 35 months in the future. If that works for you it may be much easier to get a voucher than a refund. I have 4 vouchers from April/May/June from flights that I canceled in April. These are good for booking out to April 2022, for flights through all of 2022.
If you wish to pursue the refund start with the help form, and then move to the UA Contacts: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jul 8, 2020
United vouchers are good for 24 months (even if they say otherwise on the voucher), and can be used for flights up to 35 months in the future. If that works for you it may be much easier to get a voucher than a refund. I have 4 vouchers from April/May/June from flights that I canceled in April. These are good for booking out to April 2022, for flights through all of 2022.
If you wish to pursue the refund start with the help form, and then move to the UA Contacts: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/
Neil - I just read on the United site that I have until July 31, 2020 to change or cancel travel booked through the end of the year without a fee. I can choose an Electronic Travel Certificate which are valid for 24 months from the date they are issued. Are these certificates for the full value of my flight which can be applied to a future flight booked within 24 months? Does my change fee waiver still apply? It also says I can get a future flight credit for the value of my flight if I travel within 12 months of the date the ticket was issued but tickets issued between May 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020, are valid for 24 months after the original issue date. My original flight was booked March 14, 2020 for travel in Aug. So does this mean the future flight credit is good for 24 months from March 14? Here is a link to what I am referencing https://hub.united.com/united-how-change-your-flight-2645469782.html.

I really need a 24 month credit as I may not travel again until August of 2021 so the 12 month flight credit would not help because I would have to travel by March of 2021. If I am eligible for the 24 month future flight credit, that may be the way to go. I will probably try to call United to confirm all of this.

Thanks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should call United and ask. We know nothing about your flights- when, where, did you cancel them, did United cancel, were they refundable or non refundable?

Your best bet is to call United.

Reactions: Skippy
Jul 8, 2020
I did supply some of this information. On March 14, I booked 2 round trips on United for myself and my husband from Newark to Detroit, leaving Aug. 7 and returning Aug. 10. Then on July 7 United emailed me a schedule change where the new departure was 2 hours and 5 minutes later and the return was 1 hour and 37 minutes later. My original flights are no longer on United's schedule. This is what prompted my original question about being eligible for a refund based on DOT's rules. The flight was nonrefundable.

I plan to call United to ask about the difference in the 2 cancel options since it appears that since I booked in March, the future flight credit should be good for 24 months for that date. Because I was attending a family event that was cancelled due to the virus, I need more than 12 months to rebook to accommodate my family's rescheduling of the event.

Thanks Neil.

May 30, 2019
From what you provided, it sounds like you may be eligible for re refund. The details drive the determination, which is why you should call United and ask if the tickets are eligible for a refund based on DOT rules and current policy.

Other factors include:
  • How you booked the flight. If you booked directly and paid on a credit card, the DOT policy applies. If you booked through an Online Travel Agency, you have to work with them.
  • If you used miles. That's a different policy.

When you call:
  • Be patient and polite with the United rep.
  • Stick to the facts of the flight, not your personal situation. (In other words, the fact that your family rescheduled the event is not relevant to the refund policy.)
  • If you don't like the answer you get, politely request that no action be taken at this time and courteously end the call.