TURNKEY PROPERTY RENTAL

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 27, 2020
TURNKEY PROPERTY RENTAL WON'T REFUND ONLY CREDIT, PRICE GOUGING
My reservation was cancelled (by them) due to COVID19. Turnkey refuses refund offers credit good for next 18 months. The same property reservation for next year same dates is twice the price rental. I disputed amount to my credit card, was temporarily credited but did not stay. I am so frustrated that this company has no conscience to return our money as ethical business practice . There are property owners managed by Turn key company that are not agreeable to what Turnkey is doing to their renters and would rather return the money to us.

May 27, 2020
Yes...The contract is non refundable.. one client/ customer put up an FB page "Turnkey do the right thing", now 670 members fighting for their refund...some of them had been successful in their credit card disputes and got their money back..rest of us are all on the same boat...what's saddening is hearing the heart aches of these people who lost their jobs and needed the money...and how Turnkey doubled up the price of rental properties for next year..

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Did you try to file a credit card dispute? That’s really your only option because you contracted and booked a nonrefundable rate.
"I disputed amount to my credit card, was temporarily credited but did not stay."

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Here is the thing......this pandemic is hitting everyone financially hard. While there are many sad stories about customers losing their jobs, etc. there are the same stories regarding property owners, businesses, etc. What is the right thing to do?? That depends on if you are a customer or business owner. If a business does not have the cash to refund customers, then what? If the property owner is willing to refund you, there is nothing stopping them from doing so. They can refund you outside of Turnkey's operations. Turnkey still gets their commission or fee and the owner refunds you the rest. I am assuming Turnkey is similar to airbnb?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, Turnkey isn’t providung refunds, only credits for a future stay.

If your credit card dispute was lost, it is most likely because you booked a nonrefundable rate in the first place and they are going by your original contract.

These type of rentals are totally unregulated, so there is really no place to go to other then Turnkey.

I don’t think there is anything else you can do except protest the way others are.

Sep 9, 2018
But if the reservation was cancelled by Turnkey, and not the OP, I think that Turnkey should refund SOMETHING. Maybe they would agree to a 50% refund? If they cancelled it, they are not providing a service and, IMO, don't have the right to keep all the money. And it's wrong to assume that the OP will be able to travel next year (or even wants to). It's not the OP's fault if they don't have the funds. I know it's not Turnkey's either, which is why maybe a 50% refund would be agreeable.

I would be curious to see the contract. I get that it's non-refundable, but does that include if the HOST cancels? If the OP cancelled, completely different story. But I would hope that the OP didn't sign a contract that makes the $ non-refundable if the host cancels.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Our hotel is Spain was non-refundable. I did not cancel but they ostensibly did because of the country's lockdown. They were only offering to extend the credit. This is very typical for non-refundable reservations. With regards to the fact that its not the OP's fault the company may not have the funds is really not relevant......if there aren't funds, there aren't funds! But, the reality is just as Neil stated: its an unregulated business so there is no recourse for the OP.

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is most likely that the owners have the money and aren’t refunding anything. Same thing with VRBO and Airbnb.

Turnkey is located in Texas. You might want to file a complaint with the Attorney General in Texas. Not sure they can do anything but it’s worth a try.

I hope that folks will see the drawbacks of using these type of sites. These are among the complaints we are seeing the most of at this time.

Not so much with hotels. Think about that next time you decide to travel.

Jun 24, 2019
See this link from the FTC explaining the resolution of billing errors. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges

The credit card company does not simply fulfill the role of the BBB, that is, forwarding the inquiry and reporting back to the customer what the business said. Rather, the credit card company must investigate. In our OP's situation, if Turnkey agrees that it cancelled, the credit card company should ether permanently credit OP, or it should write back to OP and explain why Turnkey's cancellation does not merit a refund. Our OP can complain about the failure of the credit card company to whichever agency regulates it, which is likely to be the CFPB. Of course, it may turn out that Turnkey alleges something else.

If the contract does not specify what happens in this situation, it does not matter than the reservation was "non-refundable" if the merchant is unwilling to provide the services.

• Love
Reactions: Pixie Pie

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
See this link from the FTC explaining the resolution of billing errors. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges

The credit card company does not simply fulfill the role of the BBB, that is, forwarding the inquiry and reporting back to the customer what the business said. Rather, the credit card company must investigate. In our OP's situation, if Turnkey agrees that it cancelled, the credit card company should ether permanently credit OP, or it should write back to OP and explain why Turnkey's cancellation does not merit a refund. Our OP can complain about the failure of the credit card company to whichever agency regulates it, which is likely to be the CFPB. Of course, it may turn out that Turnkey alleges something else.

If the contract does not specify what happens in this situation, it does not matter than the reservation was "non-refundable" if the merchant is unwilling to provide the services.
That is an interesting perspective on this....never thought of it that way. I mean, I did think about the services not rendered part but not the part about the lack of wording in the contract.

Sep 9, 2018

GREAT detective work!!!!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Everybody's in pain. Everybody's hiding. Everybody's sad. Just keep asking, be polite and be persistent. Don't give up, just keep asking.

Sep 9, 2018
Our hotel is Spain was non-refundable. I did not cancel but they ostensibly did because of the country's lockdown. They were only offering to extend the credit. This is very typical for non-refundable reservations. With regards to the fact that its not the OP's fault the company may not have the funds is really not relevant......if there aren't funds, there aren't funds! But, the reality is just as Neil stated: its an unregulated business so there is no recourse for the OP.

Agree to disagree! ;) I think it's definitely relevant and the OP clearly has other options than to just roll over. I hope they give it a try and let us know how they make out! :)

May 27, 2020
Here is the thing......this pandemic is hitting everyone financially hard. While there are many sad stories about customers losing their jobs, etc. there are the same stories regarding property owners, businesses, etc. What is the right thing to do?? That depends on if you are a customer or business owner. If a business does not have the cash to refund customers, then what? If the property owner is willing to refund you, there is nothing stopping them from doing so. They can refund you outside of Turnkey's operations. Turnkey still gets their commission or fee and the owner refunds you the rest. I am assuming Turnkey is similar to airbnb?
The fact is Turnkey is keeping our money.Our group found out that owners have NOT received the reservations payments we paid.Owners were also willing to return the money but they "DON'T " have the money its with Turnkey. Another thing is, its pure luck if we are able to find out who the vacation property owner is ...some were able to do thorough research their property owners are and include that in their dispute that the property owner is agreeable for a refund..otherwise, you are stuck with Turnkey's non refundable..Yes Turnkey has also some partnership with airbnb.

May 27, 2020
Everybody's in pain. Everybody's hiding. Everybody's sad. Just keep asking, be polite and be persistent. Don't give up, just keep asking.
thank you for your encouraging words...I am being persistent...7 members in our group gut their refund under the same contract and circumstance.

Reactions: jsn55
May 27, 2020

so true...credit card need to investigate and speak up for their client..This is what I was pointing out to them...CC merely accepted what Turnkey responded to the disputed amount ..