Trip to Maui

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 3, 2020
We have flights booked for June,10th to June 21st with Delta, and there is a mandatory 14 day quarenteen when you land they are only offering e-credit how can I get a refund

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Wait to see if they cancel the flight, that is the only way you are due a refund.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 3, 2020
Yes I did not buy the insurance. Main question is if Maui has 14 day quarenteen thru June how can Delta not cancel my flight?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Travel to Hawaii is not prohibited. People just need to quarantine and they must be selling enough tickets for them to keep flying. Sit tight and see if they cancel. If not, the credit is good for two years from the date you booked. You have nothing to lose by waiting until the last minute. If they don’t cancel by the day before, then cancel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Just adding my sympathy, Rick. But the good news is the extension of time on the credit. The other way to cancel and get a refund is if Delta changes your itinerary ... if you don't like the change, under certain circumstances you can cancel for a full refund. Have a look at their website to find out the details.

Reactions: Patina and Rickhrh
Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for all the responses They did change my itinerary coming home instead of flying from Maui to Seattle to Vegas I now have to fly from Maui to LA to Seattle then home to Vegas adding 4 hrs to my traveling time. I will wait a little longer before doing anything. Again Thank you all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for all the responses They did change my itinerary coming home instead of flying from Maui to Seattle to Vegas I now have to fly from Maui to LA to Seattle then home to Vegas adding 4 hrs to my traveling time. I will wait a little longer before doing anything. Again Thank you all.
Did you bring that up? I would call and say they change isn’t acceptable- they added an extra connection. Sometimes you get a sympathetic employee on the phone who might cancel it for you and refund.

May 30, 2019
Did you bring that up? I would call and say they change isn’t acceptable- they added an extra connection. Sometimes you get a sympathetic employee on the phone who might cancel it for you and refund.
+1 on that. Technically, they did cancel the flight by adding a stop. If the flight numbers change and the departure or arrival times changed more than 60 minutes, there is a case here. DL is more generous compared to the other airlines.

Be polite and be persistent. If you don't get the outcome you want, it is worth your time to politely leave the call, wait a few minutes, then call again starting from scratch. As Neil alludes, sometimes one rep is more sympathetic.

Please let us know the outcome.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Delta, and all of the other airlines serving Hawaii, have greatly reduced their mainland flights and are serving fewer west coast cities with direct flights. The total air passenger visitor volume has dropped from ~30,000/day to ~300/day. The airlines will continue to fly a reduced number of planes, carrying cargo and passengers who are going to Hawaii for work (medical) and reasons other than vacation. The reduced schedule will continue until the HI Governor lifts the 14-day quarantine for mainland passenger arrivals. The quarantine is currently in effect through June 30 but it is expected to be extended, with the official announcement expected soon.

Hawaii has the best record of all US states in combating Covid-19 and intends to remain isolated. Delta will likely fly the route you are ticketed on. You should wait to cancel in case Delta cancels first, but your flights will probably go as scheduled.

May 21, 2020
near Charlotte, NC
Just yesterday, I cancelled a non refundable Delta ticket for July and am getting a full refund. My itinerary was changed from a 3 hour layover to a 6 hour layover in Detroit. I would arrive at my final destination past midnight. I called Delta, was on hold for 2 hrs and told the agent the schedule change was unacceptable. I’ll get my refund back to the original credit card in 4-6 weeks. Agent told me that they’re just now processing March refund requests. So your itinerary change might be enough to get a full refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have great admiration for Delta ... I cancelled two first class non-ref tix last November and called about extending the credit. The rep put me on hold, then quickly came back to tell me she was issuing a full refund. I was stunned*, and will now always chose Delta first when booking travel.

*I was so stunned that she kinda had to explain it to me, that yes, Delta was giving me my money back and the refund was already in process. We both got a big laugh at my initial shock.

Reactions: ADM and Patina