Travel refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 4, 2019
My seventeen-year-old daughter has extreme depression and anxiety. Her condition became so severe that she was actually committed for about a week. We had hoped that a trip to a very elite college program would be good for her. However her psychiatrist and Doctor have concluded it would actually make her medical condition worse. We are able to get a refund from her program but American Airlines will not refund the money due to an error on my part. I'm hoping that we can somehow get this resolved and ideally refunded.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Msdodd I hope your daughter can work through her struggles...

I'm assuming you purchased a non-refundable ticket and did not pay for insurance. In which case, your best bet is to forward your request to the next person in line using our company contacts in the menu above.

Good luck

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I wish your daughter well.

Hard as it may seem, travel insurance is there for this very reason. Sometimes executives will listen and have sympathy. The whole reason airlines can offer cheap deals is because they are relying on the customer making the trip and not having the seat empty at the last minute while still giving a refund. Even if you end up out of pocket over an occasional cancelled cheap ticket, over time you will save more than you lose by buying non refundable tickets. Do what @johnbaker suggests above.

Sep 19, 2015
I too am sorry about your daughter.

If there is any chance that she may be able to travel in the near future? The airline may waive a change fee and give a credit for future travel.

You need to be prepared to hear no as a response but it is worth the time to write to the executives.

Jul 13, 2016
FYI, trip cancellation insurance typically does not cover mental illness, suicide, or psychiatric commitment.

Sep 19, 2015

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This must be heart breaking, I'm so sorry. By all means, follow our guidance on how to request a future credit. You'll need to provide a full description of the situation so the reader can understand it immediately. Your job is make that person want to help you. We see miracles here, so it's definitely worth the effort. Prepare a concise list of the facts, ask for an exception to their rules, and request a credit. They're more likely to look on that positively than a request for a refund.