Stuck in BKK for 40+ hrs, Air China not offering re-route of return trip scheduled in 2 days

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 13, 2020
My sister and her friend are currently in BKK on holidays. Several days after flying the outbound CDG > CTU > BKK, Air China cancelled the first leg of her return BKK > PEK > CDG, moving it several hours laters, without moving the PEK > CDG (which wouldn't be possible as the new BKK > PEK landed 4 hours after the PEK > CDG flight was scheduled to leave). This was scheduled for 2020-02-15 (which is in 2 days now).

Tried for days to call several phone numbers (Air China USA, Air China Vietnam, Air China Europe), asking in the BKK airport counter (which couldn't deal with flights outside of the current day) and an email to customer service (which just got an answer 4 days after redirecting to the non-staffed phones numbers) to get no answer.

Three days before the flight, call finally came through and we got a hold of someone. Only option given was another Air China flight that would get to CDG nearly 40 hours after initial flight. Or a refund of the non-flown portions.

Air China didn't propose re-routes on partner airlines that could get my sister and her friend at CDG at the original time, even when asked explicitly.

Asking for a refund would get them 200€ each, while flight prices booked two days in advance are 600-800€+ each.

We "understand" Air China's policy to only offer re-schedules or refunds for non-started trips, but isn't this different as the trip as already started and my sister needs to get back to France to work?

Currently I have a cancellable award booked (value: 1100$ each, used 50 000 SkyMiles) for both of them as a backup, as we can't shell out those 1000€ difference (cheapest tickets) to book two new tickets.

What's the best way to:
* Get Air China to re-route so my sister can get home?
* Get Air China to compensate the value spent in getting home if we end up using the award ticket?

And should I try to get the re-route, or just take the alternate and then seek for compensation?

All phone numbers, offices and emails have been un-helpful so far.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then Air China is responsible for re-routing them. They do not have to put them on partner airlines but it doesn't hurt to ask. Are you located in the US? Perhaps you should consult a travel country you are located in for assistance.

Reactions: Patina and VoR61
Feb 13, 2020
They are proposing a re-routing nearly 2 days later, which is not something acceptable in my opinion and makes them miss 2 days of work, and no other options but a refund (which covers 20% of the price of a new ticket).

I am in the US, my sister is in BKK. We tried all the phone numbers (US, Europe, Vietnam) and emails. The only one where we got someone was the one in Bangkok, that gave us that 40 hours later alternative.

Sep 19, 2015
Unfortunately Air China has not been putting people on partners. The schedule is a mess with coronavirus. The options may be limited.

I doubt Air China will compensate anything on additional cost to get home. The coronavirus issue has caused extreme measures. Air China’s policy has been refund or reschedule original and not reroute on partner.

The traveler is fortunate to have a back up FF ticket from the OP.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately Air China has not been putting people on partners. The schedule is a mess with coronavirus. The options may be limited.

I doubt Air China will compensate anything on additional cost to get home. The coronavirus issue has caused extreme measures. Air China’s policy has been refund or reschedule original and not reroute on partner.

The traveler is fortunate to have a back up FF ticket from the OP.
Christina is absolutely right. The coronavirus problem is huge; this is not a media splash, it's a serious global health issue. They should take whatever they can get, at whatever price, to leave Asia ASAP. I don't think that Air China will be able to do much. I'm sure their people are stretched beyond their limits already. Get them to Paris however they can get there. If they can use an airline not based in Asia, so much the better. Deal with refunds and compensation at some time in the future.