Stranded in Lake Tahoe Blizzard

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It doesn't hurt to write to Marriott and see if they can credit you back something. The worst they can say is no.

#AAGK, am I wrong thinking you are an attorney? What does the law say in incidents like this? (If I am mistaken I apologize if I mixed you up with someone else)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm getting mixed info here ... power was out for 24 hours, but power was restored a couple of hours after the last generator failed. You had no food, but they served comp breakfast and lunch? Running out of toothpaste is of no importance. If the pass was open, I don't think the hotel is responsible if you decide to stay; a good GM would have given you a big discount on the room, not asked you to move to a smaller one. If you want to ask for compensation (and I think Marriott points is a great idea), probably a good idea to make a list of the facts. List the days and the status of your room so they can easily see the reason for your request.

Did you use the Chase Reserve at this hotel? Their travel insurance benefits are many.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I am wondering. The forecast of this blizzard was all over on Californian media last week - with travel warnings. How did you plan to drive back on Monday? With no adecvate car/snow chain? Have you tried to cancel/change your reservation before Saturday?
Maybe bc I live in New York, grandma, and it wasn't covered here. Also, I booked the trip on Thursday and also assumed my partner, who was in Cali, would take his SUV. I'm not sure why he didn't. After the fact that I did learn that his dad expressed concern about the storm and the vehicle to him but he disregarded the info.

Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
Maybe bc I live in New York, grandma, and it wasn't covered here. Also, I booked the trip on Thursday and also assumed my partner, who was in Cali, would take his SUV. I'm not sure why he didn't. After the fact that I did learn that his dad expressed concern about the storm and the vehicle to him but he disregarded the info.
sure your partner is not a native Nyer and clueless about these things?

One of you has to pay attention to this stuff! Doesn't matter who any longer! Equality and all that. . . . :D

Reactions: jsn55 and AAGK
Aug 28, 2015
New York

One of you has to pay attention to this stuff! Doesn't matter who any longer! Equality and all that. . . . :D
You are right, Joe and everyone reminded us of this and was angry. My mom had my dog for 2 wks, etc. At this point, I may have suffered enough:) But back to the money, I spoke with A guy in Ritz Carlton customer care. If he works out, then he may be a good addition for the company contacts here. For now, he's investigating.

I thought a refund of resort fees for a few days, half off the in room dining for 4 days and a couple of other items would feel fair. I asked for about 2-3k back out of the 12. I created a framework for him in terms of room service, etc but that may have been a strategic mistake as I don't really care what they adjust. I made a rough calculation only looking at 4 days where there was no way to leave the property, including taxi, gondola, SUV, etc. the staff slept on site so if you wanted 2 coke, 2 salads and 2 glasses of wine, it is easily over $200. I did not look at any expenses at the actual hotel restaurants. Please let me know what you guys think and it's ok if you think I expect too much or too little, etc.

Also, i tore my ACL skiing and have knee surgery next week. I have never had any kind of surgery in my life so this shall be unpleasant.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are right, Joe and everyone reminded us of this and was angry. My mom had my dog for 2 wks, etc. At this point, I may have suffered enough:) But back to the money, I spoke with A guy in Ritz Carlton customer care. If he works out, then he may be a good addition for the company contacts here. For now, he's investigating.

I thought a refund of resort fees for a few days, half off the in room dining for 4 days and a couple of other items would feel fair. I asked for about 2-3k back out of the 12. I created a framework for him in terms of room service, etc but that may have been a strategic mistake as I don't really care what they adjust. I made a rough calculation only looking at 4 days where there was no way to leave the property, including taxi, gondola, SUV, etc. the staff slept on site so if you wanted 2 coke, 2 salads and 2 glasses of wine, it is easily over $200. I did not look at any expenses at the actual hotel restaurants. Please let me know what you guys think and it's ok if you think I expect too much or too little, etc.

Also, i tore my ACL skiing and have knee surgery next week. I have never had any kind of surgery in my life so this shall be unpleasant.
I thought a refund of resort fees for a few days, half off the in room dining for 4 days and a couple of other items would feel fair.
Am I to understand that they charged you RESORT FEES when you were snowed in? That's ridiculous. Off, take them off! And they were surely gouging you on the price of food ... unless this hotel habitually charges those kind of prices. Had I been checking out after the GM asked me if I wanted to move to a smaller room rather than discount the one I was already occupying, with full resort fees on top of that ... I'm afraid I would not have been as polite as you probably were. But I'm sure you were desperate to get out of there and back home, so it's understandable. But now's the time for a well-written email, right?

SO SORRY to hear about your ACL, that's awful and the ride home must have been very uncomfortable. While it won't be pleasant, this kind of surgery is much easier to recover from now, so keep a good thought!

Reactions: AMA and Neil Maley
Aug 28, 2015
New York

Joe, my partner is from Santa Cruz, Ca. So while he may not know things in New York, isn't he supposed to know things in Cali? I can't know everything everywhere! Though I admit, I could've handled checking the weather report.:)