Stranded 2 times for a total of 4 days with no compensation and not one (1) returned call by AA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2016
Pepper Pike Ohio
On may 8th 2015 I was traveling from Cleveland to London via Chicago . I was supposed to be in flight 86 to London. After waiting for 3 hours at the gate the allowed us to board the plane then made us wait for 2+ hours on the plane , then asked us to exit the plane and wait at the gate for another 3 hours before canceling the flight. We were then sent to reclaim our bags and sent to a hotel 1 hour away for less than 2 hours before needing to return to the airport. After 3 hours on my phone I was able to leave for London on May 9th on an airplane that was so old that there were no headrests, tv's and noise coming from the mechanical issues for the entire flight. It subsequently cost me $600 and I was never compensated 1 cent and was never even able to get in touch with customer care after many attempts.

On February 15 2016 I was traveling from Key West To Cleveland via Charlotte . As we were boarding our delayed flight from Key West we were informed that our connecting flight 2070 was canceled. When we asked if there were any other flights to Cleveland we were told " get away from the desk and call the 800 number, nobody can help you" After pressing the issue because we realized we were going to arrive in Charlotte at 11:15 pm and be stuck for a day we were told " figure it out yourself and leave the airport" . We had them pull our bags and left. I was on the phone for 3+ hours with reservations only to find out we were stuck in Key West for two ( 2 ) more days! I called AADvantage and asked if they could help and what could be done and I was hung up on by a nasty woman. We Arrived home 2 days later and I filled out a request to speak to customer care. Thus far, I have filled out ten ( 10) requests to speak to somebody and I have never heard back. other than an automated email. I have missed 5 days of work this year and its cost me thousands of dollars and I have not even had 1 phone call from American Airlines. I want compensation. None of theses issues were weather related. It is completely the airlines fault

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wow, you must have caught the entire airline on a bad day ! I have never heard of so many rude employees!

I don't understand why the flights cost an
additional $600. The 800 number should have rebooked you on their next available flight at no cost to you. How did you incur $600 in extra charges?

Here are our contacts to American.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/

Write to our Customer service address and give them a week to reply. Please state in your letter why you paid an additional $600 on the flight.

If you hear nothing after a week or if you don't like the answer, write to the first executive on the list.

Wait a week and if you still aren't satisfied, write to the next, wait a week, etc.

Save all of your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" form you'll find here:

http://elliott.org/help/

Let us know how you make out . Good luck.

Feb 28, 2016
Pepper Pike Ohio
Wow, you must have caught the entire airline on a bad day ! I have never heard of so many rude employees!

I don't understand why the flights cost an
additional $600. The 800 number should have rebooked you on their next available flight at no cost to you. How did you incur $600 in extra charges?

Here are our contacts to American.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/

Write to our Customer service address and give them a week to reply. Please state in your letter why you paid an additional $600 on the flight.

If you hear nothing after a week or if you don't like the answer, write to the first executive on the list.

Wait a week and if you still aren't satisfied, write to the next, wait a week, etc.

Save all of your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" form you'll find here:

http://elliott.org/help/

Let us know how you make out . Good luck.
I have written to customer service 10 times requesting to be contacted via the web site. Each times I have received an email confirming they will contact me however I have yet to speak to somebody. Everything is documented. The financial burdens are paying for a London hotel for 1 night which I was not able to use , last minute arrangements for 2 extra nights in key west and and extra few days off work while stranded , which subsequently made me lose a client costing me thousands of dollars. It has not been almost 2 weeks with no response about being stuck in Florida and 10 months without a single response about flight 86. I cannot even get a phone call or email. I will start contacting the people on your list Monday. The entire situation is disgraceful.

R

Realitoes

Unfortunately, the airline carriage rules you agreed to when purchasing a ticket limits their liability to getting you from point A to B, or providing a refund. If the delay or cancellation is within their control, they will reschedule you on the next available flight, and normally provide vouchers for meals and a hotel if asked. They usually won't accept any responsibility for any other financial losses due to these delays/cancellation.

Your Cleveland to Charlotte flight unfortunately was cancelled due to weather. There was significant weather events going on in the eastern US that day, including freezing precipitation at both Cleveland and Charlotte, resulting in major delays and cancellations of flights. Since the cancellation was a result of weather, their obligation is to get you out on the very next available flight (or refund any residue amount, if requested). It would be very unusual for them to reimburse expenses related to a weather delay, that are outside their control.

I do feel you have cause to ask for compensation based on the lack of customer service you received. Keep in mind, they rarely provide compensation in cash, the best you may get is a small voucher good towards another flight or some miles. Your best course is to follow Neil's advise and email the airline with the contacts provided by this site. Keep your email simple (without emotion) and concise, remembering that the person reading it did not cause the problem, but will be in a position to help you.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have already written to customer service, the process we advise you to do is write to the first executive on the list, advise him if the situation and tell him what you want. You should break out the dollar amount and what each expense was for.
Give the executive a week to get back to you, then move to the next executive. Repeat weekly until you have gone all the way up the chain.

Most likely you aren't going to be compensated for anything because as Realitoes said, when flights are canceled due to weather, the only obligation the airline has is to get you on the next available flight(which may not be the same day) or give you a refund.

Did you have travel insurance? Some policies have coverage for flight delays and might have covered your hotel.

Reactions: jsn55
Oct 5, 2015
If the airline runs a "shitty" flight like flight 86 (look at historical performance data)

upload_2016-2-28_16-11-10.png

It probably means they don't give a damn about everything else.

Reactions: AAGK
Aug 28, 2015
New York
Just to manage expectations, you definitely deserve something, but it may be helpful to request just what you are entitled to encourage AA to want to engage. I would
1. Draft a note to the Elliott AA contacts as advised above. Someone will reply eventually.
2. Not sure if the others would advise this but I would call AA advantage again and explain your main issue is receiving a call/email back. Try to politely escalate the call to someone who is in a position to ensure your issue is heard and responded to. Let them know the online submissions failed and you have lost days, etc.
3. I would request a refund of the $600, as you should have been accommodated on the next flight as well as the hotel for the 2 days in Key West, if they didn't pay.
4. File a trip delay claim with your credit card travel insurance company and try to recoup the London night you had to miss. I would probably throw that in as well if the delay was not weather related. Add the key west hotels and any other back and forth transportation to the airport. If the airline reimburses, then you can remove it from that claim.
5. Forget about the missed work days. That wouldn't be compensable under any condition. If you lost a deal then you planned your trip too close to your commitment.
6. Next time check historical on time performance in selecting a flight. I always check whenever a connection is involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flywisely

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have written to customer service 10 times requesting to be contacted via the web site. Each times I have received an email confirming they will contact me however I have yet to speak to somebody. Everything is documented. The financial burdens are paying for a London hotel for 1 night which I was not able to use , last minute arrangements for 2 extra nights in key west and and extra few days off work while stranded , which subsequently made me lose a client costing me thousands of dollars. It has not been almost 2 weeks with no response about being stuck in Florida and 10 months without a single response about flight 86. I cannot even get a phone call or email. I will start contacting the people on your list Monday. The entire situation is disgraceful.
Nobody is going to call you, it's all done via email. If you could boil down your story to the facts so it's easily understandable, that would probably help to get AA to respond. The complaint department reads letters all day long and yours needs to be easily understandable with one readthrough. You want that person to route your complaint to the proper department so you can be compensated. I read your post here and it appears you are talking about two different trips at different times, that's the kind of thing that gets your complaint buried on someone's desk. Your communication needs to be crystal clear, especially the reason you're writing more than a year later. We would be happy to review your letter if you wish before you submit it. Just let us know.

Mar 4, 2015
Your Cleveland to Charlotte flight unfortunately was cancelled due to weather.
FYI, FlightStats shows that AA86 (ORD->LHR) was what got cancelled. All the CLE-ORD flights he could have been on arrived with enough time to spare.

Feb 28, 2016
Pepper Pike Ohio
FYI, FlightStats shows that AA86 (ORD->LHR) was what got cancelled. All the CLE-ORD flights he could have been on arrived with enough time to spare.
That is correct. We had plenty of time. First the said AA86 was delayed ( but gave no reason) so we waited at the gate for 2 hours. Then they boarded the plane and made us wait another 2.5 hours, then they made us get off the plane and wait at the gate to another 2 hours or so before canceling and sending us to baggage claim then to a hotel an hour away...

Mar 4, 2015
@David J Reimer , AA's contract does provide that:

If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customerSer...Location=DirectURL&title=conditionsofcarriage

In the case of flight 86, the Montreal Convention also applies and , per Article 19:

The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures.

So if these were not weather cancellations you should be able to cite these obligations in your correspondence to get reimbursed for your overnight accomodations at ORD and EYW respectively. They generally do not reimburse unused non-refundable reservations at your destination (or other consequential damages) however.

Feb 28, 2016
Pepper Pike Ohio
@David J Reimer , AA's contract does provide that:

If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customerSer...Location=DirectURL&title=conditionsofcarriage

In the case of flight 86, the Montreal Convention also applies and , per Article 19:

The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures.

So if these were not weather cancellations you should be able to cite these obligations in your correspondence to get reimbursed for your overnight accomodations at ORD and EYW respectively. They generally do not reimburse unused non-refundable reservations at your destination (or other consequential damages) however.
What about the over 24 hours of living hell with no communication. I had to make a 3 hour call begging for a seat on a flight the next day. And what about 2 days stranded in Key West ? That was a mechanical problem. We were told. There was no adverse weather that evening on the east coast.. And why after 10 attempts to contact AA via the customer care website haven't I received a call?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What about the over 24 hours of living hell with no communication. I had to make a 3 hour call begging for a seat on a flight the next day. And what about 2 days stranded in Key West ? That was a mechanical problem. We were told. There was no adverse weather that evening on the east coast.. And why after 10 attempts to contact AA via the customer care website haven't I received a call?
Because they don't respond to phone calls, but they do usually response to emails if you find the right email account to use.

Mar 4, 2015
I sympathize. There's a reason why complaints in our American Airlines forum vastly outnumber those in any of our other airline forums.

The following is included in AA's contract by law: "The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days."

So if you wrote to them, they must respond (in writing) within that timeframe. They won't necessarily call, and we generally recommend corresponding in writing anyway, because it's difficult to hold them to anything promised over the phone.

If you've written repeatedly using the generic customer service email / web form without success, have you tried the first Executive Contact on our AA Company Contacts page which @Neil referred you to in post #2?

If AA completely failed to respond to either of your complaints within 60 days, then you do have grounds for a complaint to the U.S. Dept of Transportation. However we generally recommend that as a last resort, for 2 reasons:
1) The DOT can't seek compensation on your behalf. They monitor the carriers for patterns of unfair and deceptive practices and can levy fines payable to the US government (which doesn't necessarily help you)
and
2) Contacts at the carrier who may otherwise be able to help you might not communicate with you directly once you have opened a DOT complaint.

So please use our Executive Contacts to escalate your complaints and keep @Realitoes' excellent advice in mind:

Keep your email simple (without emotion) and concise, remembering that the person reading it did not cause the problem, but will be in a position to help you.

R

Realitoes

On February 15 2016 I was traveling from Key West To Cleveland via Charlotte . As we were boarding our delayed flight from Key West we were informed that our connecting flight 2070 was canceled. When we asked if there were any other flights to Cleveland we were told " get away from the desk and call the 800 number, nobody can help you" ... None of theses issues were weather related. It is completely the airlines fault
Capture.PNG

@Michael K , might I recommend you re-read the postings again to see why your post makes no sense to what you quoted from my post.

R

Realitoes

There was quite a bit of adverse weather on February 15 2016

Winter storm wallops East Coast with snow, ice

including:

Cities such as Charlotte,Asheville, N.C.,Roanoke, Va., and Albany, N.Y., could all see significant icing. Enough ice could build up to cause widespread power outages in some communities, AccuWeather said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/02/15/winter-storm-snow-ice-east-coast/80396858/

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I sympathize. There's a reason why complaints in our American Airlines forum vastly outnumber those in any of our other airline forums.

The following is included in AA's contract by law: "The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days."

So if you wrote to them, they must respond (in writing) within that timeframe. They won't necessarily call, and we generally recommend corresponding in writing anyway, because it's difficult to hold them to anything promised over the phone.

If you've written repeatedly using the generic customer service email / web form without success, have you tried the first Executive Contact on our AA Company Contacts page which @Neil referred you to in post #2?

If AA completely failed to respond to either of your complaints within 60 days, then you do have grounds for a complaint to the U.S. Dept of Transportation. However we generally recommend that as a last resort, for 2 reasons:
1) The DOT can't seek compensation on your behalf. They monitor the carriers for patterns of unfair and deceptive practices and can levy fines payable to the US government (which doesn't necessarily help you)
and
2) Contacts at the carrier who may otherwise be able to help you might not communicate with you directly once you have opened a DOT complaint.

So please use our Executive Contacts to escalate your complaints and keep @Realitoes' excellent advice in mind:

Keep your email simple (without emotion) and concise, remembering that the person reading it did not cause the problem, but will be in a position to help you.
Wow! 60 days! That is an unacceptably long time. I can't imagine any other business that would get away with telling customers that and still keep them. AA needs to hire more staff or create less customer service issues.