SIXT GERMANY DAMAGE CLAIM

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 25, 2017
I'm having issues with SIXT in Germany.

I rented a truck on 07.31 at 4:51 PM and returned it on 07.31 at 10:33 pm.

Before I took the car, a company representative walked me over the car, took pictures of any damages and I signed the electronic take over protocol.

When I returned the car, the office was already close. Earlier that day, they instructed me to park the car in the street and leave the keys at a safebox. There was no company representative at the time of the return and I did not sing any documents.

On August 3rd I received a email from them telling there was a damage on the door and I should click a link to fill out some information and explain what happened. I filled all the information and explained that nothing have happened to the car. The link also provided some pictures of a damage but now the link is expired and I can't see the pictures anymore.

On August 18th they send me a bill of $1500 asking me to authorize the payment of the repair.

I emailed them back on the same day asking for more information, as instructed here on the website.

They came back to me today (Aug 24th) saying they can't provide any pictures.

From the return protocol they sent me, it is stated that the car was checked only at 6:30 am on the next day. The damage they're claiming could have occurred between the time i returned the car (at 10:30pm) and when the car was checked (6:30 am).

Furthermore, I cannot trust them to just check the car, claim a damage, and me not being there while they check the car.

Aug 25, 2017
Hi Neil, thanks for reaching out. I replied to them asking exaclty what the post said but they came back a week after with the same reply, saying they suffer a damage and they have to be compensated for that. I honestly don't know what to do next.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To write to OUR company contacts as the paid states and keep going up the chain one by one.

Do not allow them to intimidate you. Request the documents and surveillance video of the property .

And tell them this:

Dear Sixt

I deny I damaged your property.

I request copies of the following from you:

- Surveillance tapes of the area from when I returned the car. Without this you have no proof that the car might have been damaged after I returned it before your employees arrived.

- pictures of the claimed damage showing the license plate number so I know it is the same car.

- a photo of the current mileage on the car so I can compare to drop off.

(And then add whatever else is in that post we have) Please note that if you insist on pursuing this claim
further and on going to court you will need to provide this as evidence of your claim anyway.

These items are required to evaluate and respond to your damage claim. Until such time as all requested documents and proof is provided, your claim shall remain denied on the basis of insufficient evidence to pay, process or determine the validity of the claim and the elements thereof.

. Be advised that your contract has an arbitration clause and we shall insist on that as the basis of dispute resolution. As you are no doubt aware, all of these provisions, along with the attorneys fee clause, are mutual by operation of consumer protection statute.

If you do not provide the requested information by Sept. 15, 2017 I shall assume you are abandoning your claim.

Very truly yours ..."

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Nicolas One thing to keep in mind as you write them. With an out of hours drop off, you own any damage that occurs until they check the vehicle in. So if someone pulled up next to you in the middle of the night and put a huge dent in the side of the vehicle, you are still responsible for it even if you followed their instructions to the letter.

Having said that, at a minimum, they owe you pictures and confirmation of the damage.

Aug 25, 2017
@johnbaker I cannot agree with you on this because in the rental agreement nothing is written in this regard. Do you know where this comes from?

Aug 25, 2017
@Neil thank you very much for the text. I fully agree with you and will write them an email. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@johnbaker I cannot agree with you on this because in the rental agreement nothing is written in this regard. Do you know where this comes from?
John is right- it is in Sixt's Terms and conditions in their website;

If the Vehicle is returned after closing hours, you remain responsible for the safety of and damage to or loss of the Vehicle until we inspect it upon our next opening for business. Service to the Vehicle or replacement of parts or accessories during the rental must have our prior written approval.You must check and maintain all uid levels, check that the Vehicle is in a roadworthy condition, lock the Vehicle at all times when you are not operating it, and return the Vehicle with at least the same amount of fuel as when rented. No refund or credit shall be issued if you return the Vehicle with a greater amount of fuel than when you re

Aug 25, 2017
Hey @Neil thank you for that. I've gone through the booking steps again and there's nowhere to agree with those terms and conditions.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hey @Neil thank you for that. I've gone through the booking steps again and there's nowhere to agree with those terms and conditions.
Because you can't opt out of them. By booking with them you agree to their terms whether you like them or not. Every car rental company has this same wording in their terms for after hour drop off. If you don't agree with the terms you simply can't rent from them.

The only way to protect yourself is to take photos or video the car when your return it and never return to a closed office- rent from a place that is open when you plan on returning

I still say you should fight this because they are too flaky in their whole story. I just wanted to point out that John was correct.

Aug 25, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm still having trouble with Sixt in Germany. I've done everything you guys recommended and got the following response from them:

Dear Mr. xxx

SX-9054202254 -1-681-85 M -UH 9346

xxxxx
(please mention always)

we have received your email dated 4th of September 2017. Therefore we would like to explain you the basis of our damage claim nearer.

You have confirmed the condition of the rental car described on the rental agreement before take over. The tenant is obliged to check the vehicle before departure. If you notice a new damage you have the obligation to inform us before take over according to our contractual agreement. We have checked our papers once again and can unfortunately find no evidence for such an information.

By checking the car after your vehicle return we have noticed a new damage to the passengerside. The damage number was entered into our system, pictures were taken and the rental contract was closed.

After revision of all given information and your objection we have to inform you that the damage must have occurred during your rental period. Therefore we kindly ask for your understanding that we have to insist on our claim.

Please find enclosed all damage documents.
We have extended your payment deadline until 19th of September 2017.

Yours sincerely,

Sixt GmbH & Co. Autovermietung KG Schadencenter

Mr. Zeller

Can you guys please advise me?

Thank you very much again

Feb 9, 2016
did you see the pictures of the alleged damage? do they SHOW the license plate in them?

if you haven't received pictures that show conclusively that there was damage ON THE CAR YOU RENTED I would reply and politely let them know that they haven't even substantiated to you that they have a claim. I mean, come on, first things first.... let's get it straight that they are even talking about the vehicle that YOU rented... right?

Me? I would reply to customer service, or the person in charge of the claim, and reiterate that I did not cause any damage to the vehicle and then plainly say that they have failed to provide visual documentation that there was even damage and that, you feel, before both parties can move on, the accusations should be substantiated. Request the pictures of the damage that were taken when the damage was discovered. Mention that you hope that these pictures will contain the vehicle license plate IN the picture and the date/time stamp from the day you returned the vehicle.

Be polite and helpful. let them know that there was no damage caused during your rental period but, in order to move this claim forward you will need visual proof because, without visual proof, you cant be certain that I anything occured

As well (don't tell them this but), in order to claim you damaged the vehicle, they need to prove there is actual damage to the vehicle that they discovered immediately after you returned said vehicle. Consider if you ended up in court with them. They couldn't prove that there was even damage to the vehicle!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017
@sas80 they sent pictures of the allegedly damage bu with no time stamp on it. As @Neil said, I think I should escalate this to the executive level. I've been talking to the same customer service representative for more than 3 weekes with no sucess.

@Neil, one question though. I've been talking to customer representatives In Germany. The executives contact are in the US. Do you think that will be a problem? Also, is there any template to be used when referring to the issue to the executives of the company?

Thank you very much for your help guys.
Nicolas

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since we don't have any other executive contacts you might want to add to your letter that if you need to direct the problem to someone in Europe to please let you know the executive contacts there.

Aug 25, 2017
Thanks @Neil. What's even crazier. The pictures of the damage attached to the repair estimate from TUV are dated August 11. Just to remind you the car was returned on July 31st. Furthermore, the pictures attached shows that it was raining and on the morning of July 31st (when the car was returned) it was sunny. This is a total scam!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That's exactly what you need to question. Tell them their time stamped pictures were almost 2 weeks after you returned the car and tell them you want to see the rental firms for every one who rented that car up to Aug.11.

Reactions: sas80