sas scandinavian airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 7, 2020
Have a non-refundable economy ticket with SAS to Hamburg via CPH on May 17 returning June 11. Have received the following e-mail fr SAS:
Hi

Due to the current situation, we need to adjust and change our flight schedules. We understand that this is not optimal for you and we are aware of the impact this decision has. But your safety and well-being is always our highest priority.

If you’ve booked a flight with us with departure scheduled before 31 May, we have different options.​
The only options they give are rebooking or a voucher. Buried in the email is a link for passenger rights which talks about getting a refund, but states refunds would be for taxes only. Checking the actual booking on their website it says the outbound portion has been cancelled. I understand it may take some time, but would like to apply for a refund. I know that according to DOT regs we are entitled to a refund if the airline cancels the flight no matter the reason. Are we are entitled to get a refund for the entire price we paid for the ticket even if it was a non-refundable ticket? Any concerns that this may be a problem due to the wording of the email, since the email does not specifically say the flight has been cancelled even if the booking states cancelled? The SAS website gives conflicting into regarding the voucher and refund.
:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@justlisa @Neil Maley the OP's name is ORD travlr so it is safe to assume he/she is departing from Chicago to Copenhagen then on to Hamburg.

@ORD TRVLR if this is the case and they cancelled any of your flights, you are due a refund per DOT rules even if your ticket is non-refundable. Your best bet is to call the airline and ask them how your flights were adjusted then request a refund if they were changed to a different day or cancelled all together. Site the DOT ruling that any flight originating in the US that is cancelled but be refunded. They will most likely try to talk you into taking a voucher for future travel but you do not have to accept it.

• Love
Reactions: jsn55
May 7, 2020
@justlisa @Neil Maley the OP's name is ORD travlr so it is safe to assume he/she is departing from Chicago to Copenhagen then on to Hamburg.

@ORD TRVLR if this is the case and they cancelled any of your flights, you are due a refund per DOT rules even if your ticket is non-refundable. Your best bet is to call the airline and ask them how your flights were adjusted then request a refund if they were changed to a different day or cancelled all together. Site the DOT ruling that any flight originating in the US that is cancelled but be refunded. They will most likely try to talk you into taking a voucher for future travel but you do not have to accept it.
Sorry, I left out a bit of important info, but as you suspected I am traveling out of ORD via CPH to HAM. I have called SAS customer service but the agent I spoke with was not terribly helpful. All they could tell me was all flights out of the U.S. have been cancelled until the end of May. I asked about getting a refund & all they could say was that "yes, I could file for a refund" & now the booking on the SAS website does say cancelled as well. I know that for the customer service agents they are having a hard time at this point, because information probably changes by the hour for them. I am going to go ahead and file for a refund & see how they respond. Thank you for the information. Really appreciate all you do for everyone.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Sep 12, 2015
Wouldn't ORD-CPH on SAS be covered by EU 261? The flight is non-EU to EU on an EU-based carrier, so I think it does. I found this nifty language online somewhere:

I understand that my flight [fight number] on [flight date] has been cancelled and I therefore request a full refund pursuant to articles 5(1)(a) and 8(1)(a) of EC Regulation No.261/2004. You are reminded that the refund must be made within seven days. For the avoidance of doubt, I do not accept a travel voucher.

If the OP winds up contacting Customer Service by email, then maybe that language might help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wouldn't ORD-CPH on SAS be covered by EU 261? The flight is non-EU to EU on an EU-based carrier, so I think it does. I found this nifty language online somewhere:

I understand that my flight [fight number] on [flight date] has been cancelled and I therefore request a full refund pursuant to articles 5(1)(a) and 8(1)(a) of EC Regulation No.261/2004. You are reminded that the refund must be made within seven days. For the avoidance of doubt, I do not accept a travel voucher.

If the OP winds up contacting Customer Service by email, then maybe that language might help.
They don’t need EU laws- if the flight takes off or lands in the US and the airline cancels the flight, DOT rules are the airline must provide a refund.

DOT is what you want to use now because IATA and some EU areas are trying to get out of offering refunds and only offering credits.

Reactions: Skippy
May 7, 2020
Shout out to SAS Scandinavian AIrlines

Called the SAS customer service 800 # on May 11 to request a credit for the above flight. The agent I spoke with advised that would not be a problem but due to the circumstances it may take some time to receive the credit, which I figured would be the case. The agent never tried to get me to accept a voucher or rebook. On May 27 I received an e-mail that the refund was being processed & the credit was applied to my credit card on May 28. I was very very surprised. Assumed it would take at least several months before it would come through. Impressed with SAS!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: jsn55 and Yul Ullu