Refunds by by-passing third-party reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2020
I have requested a B&B refund through the third-party company that booked it for me. Nothing's happening. Can I call the B&B directly and suggest that instead of the full refund I'm entitled to, they refund me half directly and keep the other half, and then tell the third-party company not to bother?

Apr 23, 2020
I have requested a refund/credit from VRBO and the property manager/owner for a trip that was booked forMarch 9, 2020.
I canceled the trip due to the Coronavirus and the property manager has refused to reimburse or credit me. VRBO has agreed to reimburse me their service fee. I do have a list of correspondences from both the property manager and VRBO. I am wondering what my next step should be.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have requested a refund/credit from VRBO and the property manager/owner for a trip that was booked forMarch 9, 2020.
I canceled the trip due to the Coronavirus and the property manager has refused to reimburse or credit me. VRBO has agreed to reimburse me their service fee. I do have a list of correspondences from both the property manager and VRBO. I am wondering what my next step should be.
They’re isn’t much you can do. Please read this article and #7- it tells you what you can and can’t do, VRBO is mentioned. I think thousands of people who used VRBO are going to feel the impact of owners who don’t care about you, only their pocketbooks. VRBO is basically an ad site and don’t provide much help in this situation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can try to contact the owner - it won't hurt. But I am willing to bet they have not been paid by the tour operator for a stay in June. Where is the renatl and where are you located? What were the cancellation terms of the booking - was it non-refundable or refundable?

Apr 23, 2020
You can try to contact the owner - it won't hurt. But I am willing to bet they have not been paid by the tour operator for a stay in June. Where is the renatl and where are you located? What were the cancellation terms of the booking - was it non-refundable or refundable?
Refundable if cancelled a day or two beforehand (i.e. in June). The rental is in Ashland, OR, and I am in Seattle. Does that make a difference?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is Oregon closed to travel? If your contract says you can cancel due a refund up until three days before, I’m not sure I understand what the problem is or why you would even be agreeing to accept a refund of half the money.

Have you contacted the owner? Who is the third party you booked through?