Refund from Airbnb

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 7, 2020
My family traveled to Spain for the month of March, and I made reservations for 4 Airbnb's, one from March 13 to March 25, 2020. Spain declared a State of Emergency on March 13, announcing that all public buildings, churches, monuments, parks, restaurants and stores, etc. would be closed. In addition, airlines had to limit flights and passengers. We changed our return flight to March 16. Since we were already in Spain, we checked into the Airbnb on March 13, and told the Host we would be leaving on March 16. She said "no problem, everyone is cancelling and Airbnb is refunding fees for reservations". I could not reach Airbnb and left a message on their help line requesting a refund for the 9 days we did not stay. Airbnb eventually responded that we did not satisfy requirements of the Covid 19 Extenuating Circumstances Refund Policy, and therefore, the host had to approve refund, which they did not. I would like help getting a refund.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If you cannot reach an agreement with the owner of the rental then you are out of luck. Maybe offer to split the cost of the rental with the owner so that you both lose out by 50%. But, it will take some sweet talking to get that to happen as you have no leverage in the scenario. Other than that, there is nothing this forum can assist you with. This pandemic is showing the cracks in business models such as airbnb and VRBO.

Reactions: justlisa and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry this happened and that you had to cut your trip short. I'm afraid there is little to do. Thousands of travellers, vacation rentals, hotels ... among many others ... are suffering greatly from this awful virus. I'm glad your family got home safe and sound.

Reactions: ADM and Neil Maley