Refund denied after United cancelled flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 21, 2020
Hello, looking for any opinions on my attempt to get a refund from United.

The details are as follows: on 3/26, I received a text message from United stating my flight on 3/31 was cancelled. This was a significant issue for me as my family was flying to move to a new city on 3/31 (hence the one-way flight) and a flight later in the week would simply not work for us. Our movers were packing up our home belongings on 3/30 and we had nowhere to stay after that day. As a result, we were forced to book a flight with another company to ensure we could fly out on 3/31, but this was AFTER United cancelled our flight and did not put us on a new flight. Also, we were on a non-stop flight and United only has one of these non-stop flights for this route a week. The non-stop piece is important since I have two children under five who I was going to fly with.

I called United customer service within minutes of receiving the 3/26 text message cancellation, and was assured by the representative I would receive a full refund due to my circumstances. After a week or two I called customer service back because I never received the payment back on my credit card. This routine has gone on for two months now - I call customer service, they see the note that was left on my account, they forward it back to the refund department and assure me I will get a refund in a matter of days, and it never comes.

I finally sent an email to two United company executives today but have not heard a response yet.

Would love to hear opinions on my situation and any recommended next steps to get the full refund I believe I deserve.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they canceled the flight you are due a refund. You should write one at a time to the executives on our company contacts list leaving at least two weeks in between emails due to the current situation.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
First off, it doesn't sound like they have denied a refund. They just haven't processed it yet. Try writing to the execs as @Neil Maley has suggested. You may also want to file a dispute with your credit card. It appears you have been patient enough and should have received your refund by now. United will need to respond to your credit card company's inquiry which may be just the thing to get the refund owed.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There's a glitch somewhere, so I'm glad you contacted the executives. Someone needs to step up, go investigate, and straighten this out. At a time like this, things could be slow, but you have the right to be informed, not ignored. We generally advise travellers to contact one executive at a time, waiting a week (today we advise two weeks with all the chaos out there) between each submission. Be concise, polite, patient and persistent. Good luck and please let us know how things go.

May 30, 2019
I suggest that when you contact customer service or executives, you should focus only on the trip that was cancelled, not the unfortunate-but-peripheral impacts to your moving to a new city. What is relevant to getting your refund is only that the flight was cancelled, airline and US DOT policy calls for a full refund to be paid to you, and that you have not received the refund on a timely basis. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
May 21, 2020
UPDATE - I received a response from my email to United executives and my refund has been granted.

To clear up a few questions - my refund request was completely denied. Refunds department had reviewed and made their decision. I did purchase directly through United, no third-party or travel agency. I'm guessing the confusion was related to me calling to cancel after United cancelled first but had not yet rebooked me on another flight. It must have been internally coded as a customer cancel?

Thanks for everyone's help. I am certain I would never have received a refund without this site and the email addresses of the executives.

Mar 25, 2020
Which executive did you contact at United who issued you a refund? I contacted Mandile (first on the list) and she keeps resubmitting my refund request and it keeps getting denied. She says her office at Customer Care cannot issue refunds.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Which executive did you contact at United who issued you a refund? I contacted Mandile (first on the list) and she keeps resubmitting my refund request and it keeps getting denied. She says her office at Customer Care cannot issue refunds.
Escalate your request using our Company Contacts for United. There's a glitch somewhere and someone needs to go untangle the situation.

Reactions: Marjorie Pinard