Purchased Travel Protection - AA is only offering credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2020
I purchased our tickets beginning of this year with Travel Protection. I purchased the tickets through Expedia but I have to handle cancelling, refunds or anything else through American. I received an email a few weeks after I purchased the tickets regarding our flight change, they changed the departure/arrival times. A second email regarding our trip was about the Airline Change, it would still be handled through American but it was a different Airline company and they added a stop to our trip - we had purchased direct flights. The third email about our flight was another flight time change and this time it would be a whole day spent on a layover. So far I've received two emails about canceling my flight with American and that I have a very limited time to accept their offer or I am agreeing to the flight change. I don't know what to do, Ive called and they are not offering me a refund without filing a claim. I tried filing the claim and they said it would take 6-8 weeks before I get to speak with someone about my claim. We paid $500 for the trip (with travel protection). I can understand the Airline is losing money but we didn't pay for that trip and I just want our refund - not credit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If AA changed your flights you do not have to accept a change this drastic. You need to call Expedia and tell them the new flights aren’t acceptable and you want them canceled and refunded.

You bought through Expedia and need to deal directly with them.

Reactions: Patina

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't believe that this is correct "I purchased the tickets through Expedia but I have to handle cancelling, refunds or anything else through American." And this is confusing, "but we didn't pay for that trip and I just want our refund". What do you mean by this?

Expedia owns your tix, you need to contact them. Start with customer service, then use our Company Contacts to escalate. Wait two weeks between each submission. Be clear, concise and patient.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I don't believe that this is correct "I purchased the tickets through Expedia but I have to handle cancelling, refunds or anything else through American." And this is confusing, "but we didn't pay for that trip and I just want our refund". What do you mean by this?

Expedia owns your tix, you need to contact them. Start with customer service, then use our Company Contacts to escalate. Wait two weeks between each submission. Be clear, concise and patient.
I think the OP meant that they didn't pay for the flights their original ones were changed to. For example, we bought non-stop flights and now we have layovers.

Reactions: jsn55