Purchased CDW/LDW from AVIS.. Collision occured..Segdwick claiming reckless driving to charge me money

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 24, 2019
See my comment above in Post #8. Write to Avis and simply say that Sedgwick is asking that you pay the cost of repairs for a rental on which you had CDW. Don't get into a debate about traffic laws. Don't offer to compromise, at least at this point. Either Avis will help or it won't. An email to the Avis contacts on this site is a very low cost way to try to deal with this situation.

If you have personal insurance or credit card insurance you can notify them as well. Whether the claim is timely or not is beyond the scope of this forum. But notifying them is also a low cost way to deal with this problem. Let your insurer and your credit card company say no, don't just assume that they will.

Dec 23, 2018
I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of insurance.

You were frustrated with a slow-moving vehicle and steered your own, rented vehicle onto the wrong side of the road to overtake it. It is just unrealistic to expect insurance to pay for that. Insurance does not cover people making consciously informed decisions that are both illegal and contrary to all reason. There is no insurance that covers people making a "lapse of judgement" so severe that it rises to the level of reckless, and I cannot sugarcoat this: There is no argument that pulling your car into the oncoming traffic lane because you are frustrated by a slow vehicle is not absolutely reckless. Insurance does not exist so that people can make reckless decisions without penalty... it exists so that when people make ordinary decisions in the course of their ordinary lives, their lives are not ruined by the consequences.

This is true for all insurance. Don't believe me? Go commit a deliberate crime and see if your homeowner's insurance covers the damages.
Disagree. I am absolutely sure my insurance would cover me under the circumstances, although nonrenewal or a rate increase might be likely.

Also agree the OP might need a lawyer. Doesn't seem right that Sedgwick get to be judge and jury as to a finding of recklessness, in the absence of a ticket for reckless driving. Another avenue might be the state insurance commission.

Reactions: mmb
Apr 10, 2017
See my comment above in Post #8. Write to Avis and simply say that Sedgwick is asking that you pay the cost of repairs for a rental on which you had CDW. Don't get into a debate about traffic laws. Don't offer to compromise, at least at this point. Either Avis will help or it won't. An email to the Avis contacts on this site is a very low cost way to try to deal with this situation.

If you have personal insurance or credit card insurance you can notify them as well. Whether the claim is timely or not is beyond the scope of this forum. But notifying them is also a low cost way to deal with this problem. Let your insurer and your credit card company say no, don't just assume that they will.
This looks to be the best course of action.

Reactions: Teri Bergin