Princess/Carnival Cruise Line Questionable Unethical and Business Compliance Practice

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 5, 2020
I wanted to share the letter I sent to Princess regarding a family/friend cruise we had planned for May 27, 2020 on the Pacific Princess. Their lack of transparency has led me to question their Ethics and Business Compliance Practice.

Reactions: DLS

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Reactions: Skippy
May 5, 2020
My apology for the incomplete post yesterday re: Princess/Carnival lack of transparency re: our family/friend cruise planned on the Pacific Princess on May 27, 2020, I had technical difficulty (operator error :))
Attached is the letter I sent on April 9, 2020 to Carnival/Princess. I received a call back from the Carnival/Princess rep nearly one month later without resolution. The rep said that the reason Carnival/Princess did not waited to update their cancellation is because they needed time to plan. I disagree the Prime Minister of Canada sent a directive on March 13, 2020 yet Carnival/Princess waited until April 1, 2020 to cancel the Alaska cruise. This was ONE DAY after the March 31, 2020 deadline passengers were given to cancel and receive 90% refund. This is unethical and against their own code of business conduct."....according to the Carnival Corporation & PLC “Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, letter from the CEO), “…building and maintaining trust is more difficult than ever before due to increasing government regulations and increased public skepticism regarding the conduct of international business. This difficulty reinforces the importance of demonstrating in our everyday actions that we deserve the trust that is placed in us. For our own personal standing and for the reputation of our Company, it is more important than ever to go about our business the right way, each and every time. The Code is the most important resource for us to rely on when evaluating how to act in a given situation.”
To date none of use have received a credit on our credit card for the cruise or the excursions.

Attachments

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Future cruise credits are likely to hit your account quicker, but refunds are taking 90 days with them going in order by sail date. I'm assuming you elected to take the 90% refund? 90 days would be the end of June so there's still quite some time left on that.

At the end of March everything was still very chaotic and most were just looking at cruises outside of the initial cancellation window (which your cruise was). As Canada is usually only one port on Alaska cruises it's not surprising that the cruise lines didn't cancel all Alaska cruises on word from the Canadian prime minister.

May 5, 2020
Thank you - appreciate the response. it might not be surprising they did not cancel. However, still does not answer the unethical business practice as they were aware when the PM of a country issues a verdict. That is (our) my issue.The cruise line waited until the next day to cancel so that they could keep revenue. That is unethical.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, you jumped the gun instead of waiting for them to cancel a cruise you were sure was going to be canceled. Most lines didn’t cancel Alaska right away because they were hoping for a waiver of the requirement to stop at a foreign port. When that didn’t happen- that’s when they canceled. It wasn’t just Princess- every cruise line didn’t the same thing.

We posted several stories about not canceling in a panic as far back as March 23.

It would be a goodwill gesture on the part of Carnival so give it a try using our company contacts. Good luck.

Reactions: Patina and Skippy
May 5, 2020
Thank you Neil. How can I go about getting your company contacts? I wish I (we) had known about you advocacy group prior to now. Appreciate your response and look forward to your contacts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here you go:

May 5, 2020
Thank you - I have already written Ms. Marichal and Ms. Duffy as well as [email protected]
Their resolution was to call me with no resolution except to say we canceled...I reiterated what I said on this forum that Princess/Carnival knew the PM closed sailing and they were not transparent and honest and the reply was "it takes time to plan......" Again, unethical business and compliance practice.
Sounds as if I have exhausted my resources, and no one- even your advocacy group cannot help. Banking on a goodwill gesture is highly unlikely, as they have already proven to be untrustworthy.

Jun 27, 2017
Little Lizzy - we are dealing with Princess Cruises re: two canceled cruises. The first cruise Princess canceled and we took the offer of a full refund. Initially, we were told it would take 60 days to receive our refund. That has now been extended to 90 days, which would be early July. The other cruise we canceled (we should have waited as it was a cruise to Alaska). We are now seeking a $200 refundable deposit, which hopefully will arrive in early November. Princess - and every other cruise line - has hundreds of thousands of refunds/future cruise credits to process.

Did you book directly with Princess and not a Travel Agent? Did you purchase any type of travel insurance - perhaps Cancel For Any Reason?

If you didn't use a travel agent, you will have to continue advocating for yourself. Try rewriting your letter using a bulleted format: booking #, voyage #, dates of cruise, date and amount of initial deposit, date and amount full payment was made, date of cancelation. Include last 4 digits of credit card you used and state if the card is still valid. Then, politely ask what you would like - $$$, FCC. Short, sweet, simple.

I also strongly suggest you omit any verbiage about "the ethical and business practices of Carnival and Princess," "lack of communication and inability of Princess Cruise Lines Ltd. to be forthright and truthful," "the thought of having a 10% FCC instead of receiving a 100% refund" "I, therefore, demand ..."

I truly understand your anger and dismay, but that language will not help you obtain a refund or FCC.

Use the Princess contacts Neil has directed you to on post #9. Even though you have already contacted Collin Steinke, you might try again. And only one contact at a time, wait 1-2 weeks, and if no response, try the next contact. I also used Private Message on the official Princess Cruises Facebook page.

Good luck and I hope we both get what we requested from Princess.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The cruise line did nothing wrong- you jumped the gun and canceled too early. All the cruise lines tried to see if they could get a waiver of the law that a ship must stop at a foreign port so they could go ahead with cruises in spite of Canada. They did nothing illicit or underhanded and as Sierra Rose posted, your letter accusing them of that will not get you a good will gesture on the part of the cruise line.

Please read the story in post 7 that advises people to not cancel.

DLS

May 6, 2020
I am in the same situation as Little Lizzy. I spoke with a Princess rep after the March 13 Canadian government dictate and before they canceled the cruise in April and there was NO mention by the rep of them attempting to get a waiver. All the rep could quote was a statement Princess allegedly released that stated "we are assessing the situation", however the rep could not provide me the statement nor direct me to where I could get the statement. So there was no way at that time to know they were trying to get a waiver; if there is a public statement somewhere to that effect, please let us know where it is.

Even given that, I agree these cruises were effectively canceled March 13 and Princess should treat them as such.

DLS

May 6, 2020
I did read the story and although it discusses waiting to cancel, it does not mention anything about cruise lines waiting on waivers from the Canadian government. Can you direct me to anything that specifically mentions that?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What it comes down to is you canceled before the cruise line did for whatever reason the cruise lines waited to cancel. The article tells you if you canceled before the cruise line actually canceled, you aren’t due a refund.

Look at the situation now- some cruise lines have already canceled June - summer cruises, some have not. Who knows why they all haven’t done the same. We have told every client to sit back and in every case they were either offered a full refund or a 125% credit for another cruise.

I don’t quite understand why you rushed to cancel instead of sitting back and waiting. You weren’t going anyway so why not just wait?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
This site is about consumer advocacy, dealing with issues regarding a company not meeting the terms of an agreement. You haven't been wronged based on the terms of your agreement. You may have been wronged from an ethical standpoint but that is not for us to argue about. I suspect, more than anything, you wish you did not cancel before the cruise line did and want some redemption for that mistake. The only avenue you have at your disposal is to request an exception to the terms of the agreement.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Dealing with the US government on a normal day takes a lot of time, during this pandemic has to have been crazy. At the time you were wanting specific answers for cruises more than two months away cruise lines were still trying to get passengers off their ships and sometimes having to coordinate emergency exceptions to the law.

So to expect the cruise lines to have an answer from the US government regarding waivers for cruises that weren't going to happen until two months in the future is unrealistic. Especially since the CDC had only talked about cruises through April. It's also unrealistic to expect customer service personnel to know all the options decision makers were looking at.

M42

Jul 2, 2018
I think that the issue that the OP is trying to raise here is that Carnival waited to cancel until after their PIF date. Even though they knew that they couldn't carry out the cruise because of the Canadian government decree, they waited until after the PIF date, hoping that people would cancel early and then lose the 10%. You had to PIF in order to allow them to cancel the cruise, which they did the day after. The question is whether the contract allows them to require payment if they know they can't carry on the cruise. In other words, with the CDC and the Canadian governments decree on the cruises, could they have waited until the day before the cruise to cancel or were they under an obligation to cancel when the contract was frustrated?