Priceline Issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2020
On March 1, 2020 I purchased a ticket to the UK through Priceline (shortly before the world fell apart). This trip was planned for 6/22/20 - 7/5/20. As an American the UK does not open for us until July 1, 2020. I called Priceline to cancel/get my refund and was told I can only get a voucher good for two years. Now the EU has banned Americans indefinitely. All I want is a refund as this is well beyond my control. Priceline is blaming this on Air Canada (the return leg of the trip) and said they will not allow a refund. I was flying United going to the UK. I need help!

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
1) I don't believe the EU ban is official yet
2) With Brexit I believe that means UK operates separately from the EU now
3) It sounds like you might have purchased two separate tickets. If it's multiple PNRs then the cancellation of one does not cancel the other flights. Do you have only one PNR or multiple?
4) If the flights aren't canceled the airlines don't owe you a refund
5) Air Canada has been flouting DOT laws and not refunding flights they canceled even if their flight ends/starts in the US

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Justlisa is correct. You needed to wait for the flights to be canceled by the airline to be eligible for a refund. If the flights weren't cancelled, you aren't due a refund. AND - the DOT refund rules only apply if you booked directly, not through an OTA. Most OTA's will refund you if the flight was canceled or they receive a full refund from the airline, but they don't have to.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What is your itinerary? If you canceled before UA canceled the outbound flights, you are due at most a voucher, but Priceline is in control of your voucher. On your return on AC you will have further problems as AC has not been following DOT regs and has been refusing refunds even when they cancel the flights.
Do you have a single RT ticket or do you have two one way tickets?

Had you booked directly though the airline on the UA website this issue would not have happened at least as far as the UA part goes.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jun 25, 2020
Out
What is your itinerary? If you canceled before UA canceled the outbound flights, you are due at most a voucher, but Priceline is in control of your voucher. On your return on AC you will have further problems as AC has not been following DOT regs and has been refusing refunds even when they cancel the flights.

Had you booked directly though the airline on the UA website this issue would not have happened at least as far as the UA part goes.
Outbound on United 4/22/20; returning on AC 7/5/20. They were booked at the same time and through Priceline.

Jun 25, 2020
Justlisa is correct. You needed to wait for the flights to be canceled by the airline to be eligible for a refund. If the flights weren't cancelled, you aren't due a refund. AND - the DOT refund rules only apply if you booked directly, not through an OTA. Most OTA's will refund you if the flight was canceled or they receive a full refund from the airline, but they don't have to.
Thank you for the information. The fact that the UK (prior the the recent change) was letting in Americans after July 1st and my flight was in June surprised me.

Jun 25, 2020

I have two one way tickets and the flight out actually went on Monday. I knew I would not be allowed in the UK so had no plans on going.

Jun 25, 2020
1) I don't believe the EU ban is official yet
2) With Brexit I believe that means UK operates separately from the EU now
3) It sounds like you might have purchased two separate tickets. If it's multiple PNRs then the cancellation of one does not cancel the other flights. Do you have only one PNR or multiple?
4) If the flights aren't canceled the airlines don't owe you a refund
5) Air Canada has been flouting DOT laws and not refunding flights they canceled even if their flight ends/starts in the US
Thank you for the information. There was a ban that was expiring July 1st (then recently extended) so I would not have been allowed in the country.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Did you cancel the outbound flight on United or did United cancel the flight? If United cancelled the flight then you may be due a refund but you need to work directly with Priceline. Since your return flight was on a separate ticket, you can either cancel that flight and receive a credit for future use or wait until AC cancels the flight. But, know that AC is not following the DOT's requirement that airlines must refund passengers if the airline cancels the flight. You can read a number of threads on this site about just that exactly.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I have two one way tickets and the flight out actually went on Monday. I knew I would not be allowed in the UK so had no plans on going.
Did you cancel the outbound flight on United or did United cancel the flight? If United cancelled the flight then you may be due a refund but you need to work directly with Priceline. Since your return flight was on a separate ticket, you can either cancel that flight and receive a credit for future use or wait until AC cancels the flight. But, know that AC is not following the DOT's requirement that airlines must refund passengers if the airline cancels the flight. You can read a number of threads on this site about just that exactly.
@Patina op mentioned that the flight went out as scheduled. Thought you might have missed it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On March 1, 2020 I purchased a ticket to the UK through Priceline (shortly before the world fell apart). This trip was planned for 6/22/20 - 7/5/20. As an American the UK does not open for us until July 1, 2020. I called Priceline to cancel/get my refund and was told I can only get a voucher good for two years. Now the EU has banned Americans indefinitely. All I want is a refund as this is well beyond my control. Priceline is blaming this on Air Canada (the return leg of the trip) and said they will not allow a refund. I was flying United going to the UK. I need help!
I thought anything booked through Priceline was prepaid, not cancellable ... use it or lose it. Did you book something that's refundable? I'm amazed they're extending a credit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, because the flight went out, you aren’t due a refund. And because you didn’t have a round trip ticket, the same thing will happen with the July flight if it’s not cancelled by the airline. Make sure you cancel it a couple of days before so you aren’t marked as a no show.