Price Raised After Booking, Contract/Terms Not Honoured

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Royal Caribbean has two different rates for their cruises - one that offers a non-refundable deposit and one that is higher with a refundable deposit. If you booked the non-refundable rate and want to cancel the cruise, insist on them refunding your deposit since you would not have booked the cruise if it were not for their pricing error.

Oct 10, 2015
I would not think of it as a mistake fare if the same voyage or itinerary had been advertised, offered, and/or sold at or below that fare to other passengers at various times within several months before and/or several months after you booked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would not think of it as a mistake fare if the same voyage or itinerary had been advertised, offered, and/or sold at or below that fare to other passengers at various times within several months before and/or several months after you booked.
We don’t know that they didn’t do this to others with the mistaken fare.

Mar 18, 2019
I am wondering if the Elliot team could shed some light on what constitutes delivery? Is it online check in, or receipt if cruise documents, etc? Am I right in thinking that they gave him two days only to make up his mind?

Mar 18, 2019
Also wondering how long is reasonable for a cruise line to come back at you for more money? What if you booked four months out, relied on it by booking ancillary travel, only to be notified two months out that they felt there was an error? At what point does it become unreasonable for a cruise line to decide they made a mistake, especially if the fare has been paid in full?

Mar 18, 2019
It’s interesting to see the difference between royals actions compared to her sister line, azamara. I wonder if that is due to the number of people who booked at the error fare or if it could be proximity to cruise date if the booking.

May 1, 2018
That’s a bit heavy handed. Don’t most jurisdictions have legislation against enforcement of patently unbalanced terms where the consumer really has no power in the contract negotiation?
There is a general concept in contract law about unconscionable clauses which deals with one-sided adhesion contracts. As such, the enforcement is through the courts. The UCC deals with this in this section: https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-302

I don't think other jurisdictions (such as states) introduce legislation or perform independent enforcement action.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s a bit heavy handed. Don’t most jurisdictions have legislation against enforcement of patently unbalanced terms where the consumer really has no power in the contract negotiation?
We aren’t lawyers- I can only tell you what the cruise lines contract say about pricing errors. And the previous case we had where the cruise line stuck to their guns.