• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Overpaying for 4th person

Oct 20, 2019
I will make my story brief. Earlier this year we booked 4 carnival cruises. They were on 10/2019, 12/2019, 2/2020 and 12/2020. We are currently gold members with carnival, but will be platinum next year. We booked each cabin for 3 people, my husband, son and myself. Last month our life took a crazy turn and we welcomed into our home our sons' friend who had nowhere else to go. As soon as we did, we added him to all of our bookings. The cost to add him to the cruise we just took earlier this month was $300. The cost to add him to our dec cruise was $209. We don't mind paying these amounts, adding him on last minute. However, on the upcoming feb cruise carnival is asking $443 and for the dec 2020 cruise they are asking $486. This seems excessive considering he is the fourth person in the cabin and is sleeping on the top bunk. We have already paid a $125 Deposit for him for each cruise. Lower level employees at carnival can't help cause we have a TA. Our TA said that the deals we booked the cruises on expired so carnival pretty much picked a price.
Can anyone help me streamline my story when asking Carnival for consideration for the last two cruises?

Dec 19, 2014
Just curious... but why is your TA not advocating for you in this situation? If you used a qualified travel agent (ie, not someone who does it as a side job), and they have enough volume with CCL, they are going to be your best advocate.

I'm not sure why $300 is reasonable but $443 is "excessive." There could be many factors in play that are not immediately obvious. Port taxes vary by ports (ie the port itself and the number of stops), and there may be a component of "dynamic pricing" involved.

What do you think is "reasonable" to add the 4th person to the Feb cruise and Dec 2020 cruise?

Oct 20, 2019
I would be happy paying the regular fourth person rate which is usually between $200 -$300 (that's what 3rd person usually costs us) including port fees and taxes.
In fact, for the Feb trip I was quoted $300.09, I told the TA we'll go ahead and book it but he did not get it done that day by the next day the price had changed to $443. Again, it was blamed on carnival.
In regards to your question about the TA . I was told there is nothing they can, do carnival sets the price. They are a large well known travel agency. I don't usually prefer to use a travel agency but we booked these cruises with my in-laws and they swear by this travel agency

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Pricing is never guaranteed until you add the person and pay the deposit. If you wait too long you may not be able to add a fourth. Every cruise ship has a certain total number of passengers they can sail with. Once that limit has been met, the cruise lines cannot add a third or fourth to a cabin.

When the price is getting higher on the 4th person that means the ship is nearing capacity.

Your agent can’t do a thing about the prices. The ship is nearing total capacity. I’m sure that very soon they will stop booking triple and quad cabins and people will have to book a double cabin instead- and pay even more as a first and second passenger.

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for the response. We have booked him for all the cruises and paid the deposits. It just seemed like we were over paying. We figured the 3rd and 4th person rates would be similar.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for the response. We have booked him for all the cruises and paid the deposits. It just seemed like we were over paying. We figured the 3rd and 4th person rates would be similar.
Not when the ship is selling out. I hope that I’ve explained it better than the travel agent you used. But it’s like any other pricing- I’m sure the price for the first and second have gone up since you booked- am I correct?

Reactions: VoR61

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
It does seem odd to me since you’re adding him to a cabin that is already booked so it isn’t like it is affected by “the ship filling up” but I don’t pretend to understand how cruise lines take your money! But may I just say, Wow! Such warmth and generosity you’ve displayed in taking this young person into your home and including him on your family cruises when you didn’t have to! As a fellow human, Thank You.

Oct 20, 2019
Yes Neil. I never thought about the rate for the 3rd/4th person rising. I thought only the first and second person rates raise as the cabin is already filled and booked.

Once we book, we usually leave it as is so we don't deal with rising rates. Always learning something new...

Oct 20, 2019
It does seem odd to me since you’re adding him to a cabin that is already booked so it isn’t like it is affected by “the ship filling up” but I don’t pretend to understand how cruise lines take your money! But may I just say, Wow! Such warmth and generosity you’ve displayed in taking this young person into your home and including him on your family cruises when you didn’t have to! As a fellow human, Thank You.
I appreciate your kind words Mel! I have given up on cruise line logic myself. That's why I thought I'd throw my question out there, and dip into others expertise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I also commend you- my wife has a friend who has become the legal guardian of a young man who’s Mom couldn’t take care of him anymore. She also took him on a cruise with the rest of the family - she said he IS family- and had a very difficult time getting the certified birth certificate from the parent so he could travel. Make sure you have the proper i.d. and know that you will forever make a difference in his life.

Oct 20, 2019
I also commend you- my wife has a friend who has become the legal guardian of a young man who’s Mom couldn’t take care of him anymore. She also took him on a cruise with the rest of the family - she said he IS family- and had a very difficult time getting the certified birth certificate from the parent so he could travel. Make sure you have the proper i.d. and know that you will forever make a difference in his life.
Absolutely Neil! I made sure I had his birth certificate in hand before we added him to any of the trips. Will probably get him a passport eventually

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My wife’s friend said she she took the boy in their cruise he missed a football practice anc was suspended for a game. She went and spoke to the coach, gave him the boys history and that he was now a member of her family and explained why he missed the practice and asked him to reconsider and the coach did. He had no idea what had been going on in the boys life and was grateful she spoke to him.

These are the hero’s we don’t hear about - you are wonderful.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@love2cruise not wanting to pry but do you have legal guardianship of this person or is the person over legal age? If not, make sure you have something in writing stating you can take this person on these trips and make medical decisions, if necessary. I wouldn't want you to go through all this and then not be able to travel.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Ships have way more berths than they can legally fill. So just because your cabin has unfilled beds doesn't mean you can be guaranteed to fill them - if the lifeboat station that cabin is in is filled to capacity they can only book 2 guests in any unbooked cabin in the area and any booked cabin is locked in at their current numbers.

Beyond the capacity issue Neil mentioned, I have a hunch that they also increase the price of 3/4 in rooms once they reach a certain level of guests under 21. They usually have a lower per person on board spend so I wouldn't be surprised if cruises wanted to limit that, but it's just a hunch I have.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You are indeed a saint. As Carrie stated, make sure you have a legal medical power of attorney for the boy. Unfortunately, even if he got sick on the cruise the ship's medical staff could probably not treat him without such documentation.
And if you are not Legal Guardians make sure you have the Legal Guardians notarized written permission and a copy of Moms Valid ID matching birth certificate allowing you to take him out of the US and into a Foreign country. There are specific rules but other countries for traveling with a minor who is not your child. Don’t be left at the dock because this boy was denied boarding. Please research this issue!

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
You mention that the travel agent quoted you a lower price but didn't book it right away; he waited until the next day, when the price had gone up. You might want to consider asking the travel agent (a big reputable agency) if they can ante up the difference or provide some other freebies that might compensate you for their delay.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You mention that the travel agent quoted you a lower price but didn't book it right away; he waited until the next day, when the price had gone up. You might want to consider asking the travel agent (a big reputable agency) if they can ante up the difference or provide some other freebies that might compensate you for their delay.
Did the travel agent have a credit card to charge the deposit to?

Reactions: jsn55