Over 70 doctors note

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I believe it does but I’m not an attorney which is why I suggested filing a complaint with the AG.

This hasn’t been a real issue because no cruises have sailed since they put it in place. Wait until they start sailing again. Then this is going to get widespread complaints and they’ll have to do something.

Sep 27, 2018
I’ve never seen an insurance form that required a doctor to say that taking a flight would result in the death of the patient if they became ill and we have helped many clients with claims.

The only claim forms I’ve seen asked what the condition was, what the treatment has been (and doctors records might be needed) and why they can’t fly. It’s to differentiate the client has a serious enough condition that they can’t travel and not something like allergies or a cold.

If the insurance companies form said otherwise, I’d like to see it.
I wish I would have kept it, this was one of those insurance options when buying a ticket. That has made me reluctant until recently to buy any travel insurance, you can read all the fine print you want and then put some impossible hurdle in the claim forms. Very similar to what the cruise lines are doing today. The usual standard for pre-existing conditions is that they are controlled by medications for conditions such HBP or diabetes. Wonder why this rule is so different?

Apr 24, 2020
When you use the FCC you are under your same booking number and contract...that never changes....you are never given a new contract...just an updated booking.

Oct 17, 2018
We booked a Royal Caribbean cruise in October. The ship sails on my husband's 70th birthday! If we had booked the week before this letter would not be an issue. Needless to say we will probably cancel this cruise prior to full payment being due.

Reactions: FrankL183

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We booked a Royal Caribbean cruise in October. The ship sails on my husband's 70th birthday! If we had booked the week before this letter would not be an issue. Needless to say we will probably cancel this cruise prior to full payment being due.
We have one in November with a non refundable deposit that I’m sure will be canceled because it’s in November and leaving from Barcelona and stories point to Spain not allowing tourists until Christmas time. But I am in the same boat if they don’t with the letter. I’m waiting to see what happens with this when the first cruises start up and people find out about that letter.

Reactions: FrankL183 and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We have one in November with a non refundable deposit that I’m sure will be canceled because it’s in November and leaving from Barcelona and stories point to Spain not allowing tourists until Christmas time. But I am in the same boat if they don’t with the letter. I’m waiting to see what happens with this when the first cruises start up and people find out about that letter.
I predict a brisk business in online "doctor's notes" for older cruisers. I would think that the association of cruise lines (CLIA?) would be all over this one. We can't have pax denied boarding and left on the pier, the lawsuits would be horrendous.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I predict a brisk business in online "doctor's notes" for older cruisers. I would think that the association of cruise lines (CLIA?) would be all over this one. We can't have pax denied boarding and left on the pier, the lawsuits would be horrendous.
CLIA made this proposal in March

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
NCL also now requires the note but the wording is vastly from Celebrity’s/Royal Caribbean. Royals states this and what doctor is going to certify a patient with diabetes van cruise? From Royals:
“I hereby certify that this patient does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)/COVID-19.
I attest that this person is fit to travel on a cruise vacation.”

I’m showing two different letters and you can see the difference in the wording.

Attachments

smd

Mar 14, 2018
One of my questions was does the doctors note requirement constitute a change to our original booking agreement....if it does is the original booking contract void.
I assume Celebrity will say it falls under their existing health terms ie:

"You must ensure that you are medically and physically fit for travel, and that such travelling will not endanger yourself or anyone else. At the time of booking (or as soon as possible if the condition arises after booking) you must tell us or your travel agent in writing about any medical or physical condition which will or may require medical treatment or attention during your holiday or which may or will affect your holiday in any way (including your use of any services or facilities)... We regret we must reserve the right to refuse to allow anyone to travel who, in our reasonable opinion, is physically or mentally unfit to travel or will or may require care beyond that which any travelling companion or we ourselves can reasonably provide."​

I'd guess they (and/or their insurers) believe that certain conditions which may have been low risk before are now much higher risk due to the prevalence of COVID, and therefore are subject to notification and travel restrictions.

Apr 24, 2020
We have traveled with this conditions for 20 plus years.....we do not endanger anyone else...the conditions do not make us anymore likely to contract covid then a 20 year old...what may happen is the results may be worse.....but not always. The Cruise lines have never felt like these conditions were important before (40 plus cruises). we are not physically or mentally unfit to travel....our doctors will say that.....but they can’t sign the form as presented because we do have a
chronic condition well controlled with medications....if you met us, you would never know we are diabetic....we hike,swim, exercise, eat what we want, are not overweight, travel,etc. I Have not seen any reports On the number of people over 70 that have recovered but I am sure they are out there. I am still waiting for the attorney general to review our case....the resolve would be if they don’t let us cruise refund our money ....do not give me usless future cruise credit.

Apr 24, 2020
I am not debating the right of the cruise line to have this policy....but the fact that they can deny you boarding and not refund your money...that is the position today.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
With these guidelines I can’t cruise anymore on Royal but I can on NCL. The cruise lines our these in place to try and have the government leave cruising open. And that didn’t work.

Just give it until they re-open cruising. Most people don’t even know about this - wait and see the outrage when they find out.

You can be pro-active and write to the AG and file a complaint about the no refund policy. I don’t believe the cruise lines will be able to get away with this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is an update today. My wife was on a call with Royal Caribbean and they removed the requirement of the doctors letter. They claimed they were following CLIAS’s guidelines and CLIA removed the letter requirement. That could change since CLIA is drafting a response for cruising going forward.

This is what Royal said:

Future health requirements and safety protocols are still being defined for the cruise industry; however, at this time, a health form is no longer required for those travelers age 70+, nor are there restrictions for those guests with underlying health conditions. As you know, our current environment remains very fluid, thus, changes to these guidelines may occur down-the-line. Our return-to-service protocols may look very different in coming days/weeks so, as more is finalized, updates will be shared accordingly.