Over 70 doctors note

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 24, 2020
We have a cruise on Nov 30 2020 on Celebrity......we are both over 70......I received a form my doctor needs to fill out saying we have no chronic conditions.....we both have 2 of the chronic conditions listed....they are mild and controlled....I immediately called Celebrity resolutions dept and was told I would be denied boarding...ok....then please refund my 8,000 cruise fare...I was told no refund just future cruise credit because we booked with FCC.,because of a cancelled cruise March 13. The doctors note was not required at that time.....FCC will not do us any good at 70......our conditions will not change, so it will never be able to be used. We want to cruise and our fit to cruise but my doctor cannot sign the note because of the wording.

Apr 24, 2020
It asks your doctor if you have one of CDC’s listed conditions....your doctor has to certify that you do not have a chronic condition.......our doctor says he is prohibited from signing a blanket note.....liability is an issue.
this did not exist when we used the FCC to book the cruise

Feb 3, 2017
They changed the conditions of your booking after you booked by now requiring this note from your physician? That note was not required at the time you booked and paid?

Did they send you something in writing - via email perhaps - that you cannot cruise if you have any of the conditions listed on the form? Or was that only on the phone that you were told?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Well, that doesn't make any sense.....you are not allowed to take this cruise with chronic conditions but you are allowed to take one in the future while having chronic conditions!?!? They are getting themselves in a pickle....of course they don't want the liability or complications if their passengers get sick while at sea but they should then refund you.

I would take this up the chain of executives. Please follow the advice on how to advocate for yourself (posted link below), starting with the first name on the exec list. If/when you reach the CEO and do not have any resolution, please come back to the forum and submit your case to be reviewed. Hopefully, they can help you if you do not receive a refund.

Reactions: jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I believe this is the origin of the new "requirement". These are proposed, but as written the proposal would virtually eliminate many, if not most, of the older cruise ship passengers (including myself).

"Proposed to deny boarding to any person over the age of 70 unless they present a note from a doctor stating that they are fit to travel on board a cruise ship. Those with an underlying chronic medical condition that would make them more vulnerable to the illness would also be prohibited from embarking. "

Reactions: FrankL183
Apr 24, 2020
I was notified by email that a note would be required.......two of the conditions stated affect my husband and myself.....called Celebrity Resolutions ( step up from a cruise rep) was told by Carin that those conditions would prohibited me from boarding....asked for a refund ...it was denied ..told I could get FCC to use on a future cruise....Emailed Celebrity asking for an explanation and resolution.....they have not responded.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That makes no sense on Celebrity's part - they owe you a refund. If you have one of these conditions, it isn't going away so you can go on another cruise some other time. This is ridiculous. And possibly age discrimination as well.

We have company contacts for Celebrity -

This is how to write - they need to refund you if they have changed their terms and now you can't sail:

Reactions: jsn55

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
My guess is that currently Celebrity's thought process is that these conditions for those over 70 are temporary. They don't plan to keep them in force indefinitely, just until I don't know vaccine, greatly lowered incidence, rapid testing for each passenger before boarding. So because they view it as temporary they're saying we'll give you FCC to sail when we remove the conditions.

This is not me agreeing with it, just offering what I think is their likely thought process.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
My guess is that currently Celebrity's thought process is that these conditions for those over 70 are temporary. They don't plan to keep them in force indefinitely, just until I don't know vaccine, greatly lowered incidence, rapid testing for each passenger before boarding. So because they view it as temporary they're saying we'll give you FCC to sail when we remove the conditions.

This is not me agreeing with it, just offering what I think is their likely thought process.
I thought that as well, but they really can't have it both ways, in my opinion. I would fight to get a refund if it were me.

Reactions: Jo Peck
Jun 24, 2019
What doctor wants to risk a lawsuit by saying it is safe for a patient to travel on a cruise ship. That’s not a normal doctor’s note.

And look at the shape of the problem. About 50% of all adults in this country have a pre-existing condition. That number balloons to 85% for people over 65. Those pre-existing conditions including asthma, diabetes, COPD, etc. And for those of us who have cruised, we’ve certainly noticed a higher number of folks with mobility problems. What doctor wants to say (for free, apparently) that it’s OK to be in the middle of the ocean without extensive medical resources and thereby expose him/herself to liability?

Reactions: FrankL183 and ADM
Apr 24, 2020
Then Celebrity needs to tell us just that.. I just talked to a supervisor from Celebrity...same response...just FCC. No refund....does not matter if the fit to travel was not in place when you took the FCC. You still will be denied boarding and given more FCC.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I thought that as well, but they really can't have it both ways, in my opinion. I would fight to get a refund if it were me.
I probably would too. Though booking it with a FCC complicates things as even before this mess cruise lines didn't refund you cash for a FCC they just gave you another FCC.

Apr 24, 2020
Many of the email sites for celebrity are kicking back emails......I will get a letter posted this evening......anyone I should address it to?

Apr 24, 2020
I was told by Melania from Celebrity to hold on to the booking and hope it gets cancelled...if it doesn’t i Need to send the doctors notes.....get refused boarding for my FCC. If it does the prevailing compensation at the time will be applied...maybe,,,,,,

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Its too early to worry about a November cruise right now so sit back and wait. I would be posting complaints on their Social Media platforms. If you want to complain, you can write a letter to your State's Attorney General. They cannot tell you they won't give you your money back on a cruise that they canceled when you did not need a doctors note. They changed the terms and I don't believe they can legally hold your money hostage.