Ovago Travel - airline administration penalty

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2020
Booked a trip to Florence, Italy for four. UA canceled flights. UA will refund tickets to Ovago. Ovago wants $250 per ticket as airline administration penalty. This seems excessive. Should I just file claim on trip travel insurance - had recent TIA and have medical letter from Dr saying under his continuing care and his advice is do not travel. Trip insurance cost $425. Ovago fees = $1200. Ovago needs my consent to pursue refund from UA. Very disappointed in Ovago agent’s response and assistance. Any suggestions?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Was your credit card charged by Ovago or the airline? I would revisit the terms of condition you have with Ovago to see if that was part of your agreement when purchasing the flights through them. I doubt your trip insurance policy will cover this situation, you will need to review that contract as well.

Reactions: jsn55 and justlisa
Apr 25, 2020
Credit card was used by Ovago. Ovago’s terms say everything controlled by airline rules but they may assess a “fee”. No other definition or additional information. I reviewed my trip insurance and this is for a new medical condition which occured on 2/1/20 and I have hospital records and doctor’s letter.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is tricky as to filing a claim. A medical claim is needed if you had to cancel going on your trip because of the illness. Your trip was canceled so there is no need to cancel anything- it’s been canceled for you. And if the airline canceled, I don’t think you will be covered for Ovago’s fee because it was listed in the terms and conditions when you booked and by booking, you agree to them.

You can try filing a claim but it’s doubtful you would win.

Reactions: justlisa and Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Please book directly with the airline going forward. This forum is full of cases where the OTAs are making things more difficult than they need to be. If you had booked directly with the airline, then you would receive the full price of the tickets.

Sep 19, 2015
Ovago is yet another shoddy online booking engine which charges high fees for the “services”. There are many similar complaints against them.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I may be over-simplifying here, but if United is refunding your air, you should make an insurance claim for the (outrageous) fees your online booking service is charging. I've had no personal experience with travel insurance claims or online booking services who charge fees. Perhaps my colleagues will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 13, 2016
I don't think you have a claim. Ovago's vague terms allow them to charge an admin fee, and goodwill gestures are much more rare now with all businesses experiencing severe losses.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I may be over-simplifying here, but if United is refunding your air, you should make an insurance claim for the (outrageous) fees your online booking service is charging. I've had no personal experience with travel insurance claims or online booking services who charge fees. Perhaps my colleagues will correct me if I'm wrong.
Most policies do not cover fees like this. These are called processing fees by this company, not cancellation fees. They were part of the t and c- the time to ask how much the fees will be is before you book.

If you do a search for complaints about Ovago, there are many many complaints about them charging these fees.

This is what the website says:

In case that you request any changes and/or modifications caused by force majeure circumstances are needed in your original booking (cancellation or modification), in addition to the terms and conditions of the airline company, our processing fees will apply.