Oceania cruise full refund not given

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 29, 2020
I am writing in reference to getting a full refund for our cancelled cruise from Barcelona to London, booking #2xxxxxx, due to the Coronavirus global pandemic, in the amount of $850.00.

Our last date to cancel for a refund of most of our money was 3/24/20. I called several times in the weeks prior and was told, every time, that Oceania was revising their refund policy, due to this global pandemic. So I waited. Finally on 3/23/20, I called and was told the same thing, but decided it was in our best interests to cancel anyway, receiving a refund of everything except $500 (which could be applied to a future cruise), and $350 for custom airfare. I did understand the cancellation policy at that time, however, I was told that because of this pandemic, the policy would be changing.

Oceania has now cancelled this cruise, due to this situation, and I feel like we should get a refund of our $850.00. It is not as if it was our choice to cancel- we had no choice-and now the cruise is cancelled.

I called yesterday and talked to Steven, and was told I could not get that money back, because I cancelled, prior to the cruise cancelling. I asked to speak with a supervisor, but he told me that under these circumstances, they could not let me speak to anyone else.

I believe I am entitled to a refund of the $500 (for my husband and myself), due to the fact that Oceania cancelled the cruise. I should in no way be penalized for that! We will most likely NOT be going on a future cruise because of this global scare!

I also feel that I am due a refund of $350 for the custom airfare, which was only a service. The tickets were never purchased! And even if they were, the airlines are refunding money, once again because of this situation.

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove booking number
Last edited by a moderator:


Feb 12, 2019
When you cancelled you accepted the terms under which you canceled. This question has been asked here and on cruise critic several times across many cruise lines and unfortunately the answer is always the same - the cruise lines are sticking to whatever policy was in place when you cancelled. This is why the advise here has been to wait for the companies to cancel.
Dec 27, 2014
You are always going to be in a better negotiating position if you wait for the company to cancel rather than jumping the gun. By canceling early, when the cruise was still considered "sailing," you were subject to the cancellation policy as if it were any other day.

I hate seeing these stories. I hope you are able to reschedule the cruise and have a wonderful time.


Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful experience, Cheryl. Am I to understand that the "last day to cancel 3/23" means that you could cancel without penalty before 3/24? When did Oceania cancel the cruise? What was their policy at that time?

I think you got stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think that there's a possibility that Oceania will refund you. I would compose a concise, polite email telling them that you were told that their refund policy was changing, but you felt that you needed to cancel before that policy formally took effect. Tell them you were worried and upset and felt that cancelling was the best choice. You are asking them for an "exception to their rules". This is a truly awful time for everyone, and I don't think anyone can blame you for cancelling the cruise before Oceania did. Start with Customer Service, wait a couple of weeks, then use our Company Contacts to escalate your request, waiting a week between each submission. Be polite, patient and persistent. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.