NOVASOL. Danish company with property rentals in France, EU.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 25, 2020
Does French law over ride their rental contracts? The property I booked is in France. If so, what if they refuse to follow it? Their contracts, which don't consider pandemics, (https://www.novasol.com/faq/general-terms-and-terms-of-rental) state they do not give refunds ( no credits) without penalties. The law of March 20, 2020, in response to Covid-19, states that property rental operators may keep any deposits on existing bookings for up to 18 months to accommodate renters who cannot keep reservations, allowing time to reschedule in this period, and to protect rental operators from losing their cash flow. It states that after the 18 months, if rescheduling cannot occur, the deposit is to be returned.

I contacted Novasol about present options and received an email referring me to their contract. Before I contact them again, I want to know what leverage I have and what a good strategy might be. I can mention the Ordonnance in hopes they'll follow it, but I anticipate resistance.

I would l like to keep the booking for 8/15/20, but with the pandemic, cannot know now what the situation will be then. Having them hold my 337 euro deposit for 18 months would be fine--if they stay in business--and follow the law. By their contract, If I cancel before 6/6/20 it costs me 10% of the total booking or 137 euro. After that, more. I can live with this unfair loss but prefer not to if there is a way to avoid it. Many thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

smd

Mar 14, 2018
From my reading, I don't believe this law gives you any additional cancellation rights. If Novasol must cancel, the law allows them to provide you with a credit rather than a refund. However if you cancel, the contractual terms still apply.

Reactions: TazLee

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don’t cancel now. It’s too early. Please read this story about canceling too early. If the cancellation penalty is the same- you will only receive a credit if you cancel- you have nothing to lose by waiting.

Reactions: TazLee
May 25, 2020
From my reading, I don't believe this law gives you any additional cancellation rights. If Novasol must cancel, the law allows them to provide you with a credit rather than a refund. However if you cancel, the contractual terms still apply.
Thank you, I hadn't read it that way and appreciate your help!