News article: Delta cracking down on ESAs

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Finally! This is music to my ears that an airline is addressing the fake ESA phenomena:

http://www.businessinsider.com/delta-new-emotional-support-animal-rule-service-animal-2018-1

Synopsis:

Delta is creating its own regulations for emotional support animals: Starting March 1st, the owner needs to provide Delta proof of health or vaccinations for the animal 48 hours before flying. They also require a signed letter by a doctor or mental health professional as well as a document stating the animal can behave during the flight. They also list a bunch of animals that cannot be deemed an ESA such as snakes, rodents or those with hooves, horns or tusks.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
That's a lawsuit waiting to happen... Guess DL is willing to take the risk
My guess is the lawsuit regarding the dog mauling a seat mate is probably what prompted this. I would imagine the attorneys are saying: did you do everything in your power to make sure the dog was safe to fly with other passengers? If not, they could be held liable. If they require all this documentation, real or fake, they are covering themselves from future lawsuits as they wouldn't be deemed negligent in their duties to protect all passengers.

Reactions: jsn55 and krisseye
Sep 19, 2015
Look at the list at what people have tried to bring on the plane:

According to Delta, passengers have attempted to claim turkeys, gliding possums, snakes, and even spiders as comfort animals.

Animals not permitted to serve in a service or emotional support role by the airline includes hedgehogs, ferrets, insects, rodents, snakes, spiders, gliding possums, reptiles, amphibians, goats, non-household fowl (farm poultry, game birds, birds of prey, waterfowls), animals with horns, tusks, or hooves, and animals that are improperly cleaned or emit an odor.

There was the person with the ESA turkey; the pig did not get to fly several years ago because it made a mess even before departure.

Now how am I going to travel without Fuzzy, my ESA goliath birdeater tarantula?

Mar 17, 2015
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...hts-rules-lack-federal-regulation/1046380001/

This article goes a bit further and speaks to how negotiations to define what a service animal is fell apart and then another deadline was missed. I do not think that the parameters set by Delta require so much extra effort on the part of anyone wanting to fly with their service animal. It may cause a problem for those taking advantage of the situation or not keeping up proper training of their animals.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Look at the list at what people have tried to bring on the plane:

According to Delta, passengers have attempted to claim turkeys, gliding possums, snakes, and even spiders as comfort animals.

Animals not permitted to serve in a service or emotional support role by the airline includes hedgehogs, ferrets, insects, rodents, snakes, spiders, gliding possums, reptiles, amphibians, goats, non-household fowl (farm poultry, game birds, birds of prey, waterfowls), animals with horns, tusks, or hooves, and animals that are improperly cleaned or emit an odor.

There was the person with the ESA turkey; the pig did not get to fly several years ago because it made a mess even before departure.

Now how am I going to travel without Fuzzy, my ESA goliath birdeater tarantula?
HAH! Just leave him at home with your cat - that will solve several dilemmas.

Dan was in the drug store yesterday, walking in right in front of him was a woman with a snake wrapped around her neck. A BIG snake. The cashiers at this store are really nice, so all the customers "know them". The lady on the register closest to the door, one of Dan's favorites, didn't notice the snake until it moved, then she pitched such a fit they had to call 911. How I wish I had been there. Too bad it's California, otherwise they would have issued a citation for disturbing the peace.