Need help with the next steps

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2019
Hi,
Recently we got a letter from Alamo Damage Recovery Unit saying there was damage to our rental vehicle. There was absolutely no damage to the car while in our use. We were even checked out by their agent when turning the car in and nothing was noted. Unfortunately we did not take pictures of the vehicle. I only took a picture of the odometer and gas reading when we picked it up. Luckily, I found this site and followed the advice on how to reply to the letter to dispute the claim. I disputed the claim, I asked for time and date stamped photos of the vehicle immediately prior to and after use including the license plate, a record of the rentals from the time we returned to when we receive letter of the damage, photo of the mileage indicator showing when the alleged damage was reported, and a copy of the damage / incident report. I emailed this to the email address on the initial letter. I only got an automatic reply. Then yesterday (8 days after my email) we got another letter with invoice for the charges for all the "alleged" damage, a request for our auto insurance information, and supposed photos of the damage (no time stamps, no license plate). In my opinion, these photos prove nothing. It might not even be the same vehicle and who know when this damage happened.

We called our insurance company (USAA), not to submit a claim, but just to have on record that this scam is happening and we are trying to dispute it. We asked for advice. Basically we were told, just keep trying to dispute it. If we do need to make a claim, they will try to investigate it and shut it down, but they may end up just paying it and we would be stuck with the $500 deductible. I was disappointed by that, but they said their job is to protect us from wrongful lawsuits, etc.

Anyway, I don't know what is the next step in this process. Do I send the Damage Recovery Unit another email again disputing these charges and claim? Do I contact the executives at Alamo? Is there someone else I should contact or something else I should do to try to shut this down? Please advise. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Our advice in that thread is to contact Alamo Corporate, not the damage recovery unit. The Executives at Alamo are the ones who get these dropped.

If you haven’t used our company contacts please start over.

Reactions: VoR61