• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2020
In February my Facebook account of more than 11 years was permanently banned due to "violation of terms". I am confident I did not violate any terms. At the time my account was blocked I was scrolling (but not posting) Facebook. My last known post was approximately two days prior, when I changed my profile and cover page in support of a particular political candidate. I cannot be sure what occurred but there are indications my account was hacked. When I was initially logged out I went to my email to see three emails from FB, all within the previous 30 minutes, stating that “I” had requested a code to access my account. At least one of these was in a language I do not recognize.. More than two weeks later when I attempted to login to my account (I attempt periodically to see if anything changes) I received a notice that my account may have been accessed by someone else and I should reset my password. I did this but then got the same alert that my account was permanently banned. At that time I had not been able to access my account for more than 15 days, and this was the first and only acknowledgement that someone else had accessed my account.

I have record of all emails from FB showing attempts to gain access to my account, and I have filed a police report In my town re: identity theft. I have attempted to email and call all known contact information for Facebook and receive no responses except for the automated from the online help center.

I am VERY confident that I have not violated any terms. I have no record of any violations, temporary bans or any content removed prior to this. I believe that if I could appeal or have my case reviewed by a person at FB that would be clear (for example, IP addresses would show two separate locations, even countries, accessing my account at nearly the exact same time).

Does anyone have additional information for contacting FB, or suggestions for help? It’s incredibly frustrating that I was not only not protected from having my information compromised but am also suffering because of it. It’s a very stressful time to be isolated from friends and family on social media, when social media is the only safe way to stay in contact. I also had have photos and videos that don’t exist anywhere else, as well as conversations with now deceased family members.

Jul 13, 2016
I wish you luck with getting this sorted out. You have fallen into a common trap of losing precious photos and information when you lose your FB account. It happens to a lot of people, and many don't realize that FB has the right to take your photos and publish them. I am very careful what photos I post on FB. I hope you can access your account again, so you can move those precious memories off Facebook.

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 10, 2017
In February my Facebook account of more than 11 years was permanently banned due to "violation of terms". I am confident I did not violate any terms. At the time my account was blocked I was scrolling (but not posting) Facebook. My last known post was approximately two days prior, when I changed my profile and cover page in support of a particular political candidate. I cannot be sure what occurred but there are indications my account was hacked. When I was initially logged out I went to my email to see three emails from FB, all within the previous 30 minutes, stating that “I” had requested a code to access my account. At least one of these was in a language I do not recognize.. More than two weeks later when I attempted to login to my account (I attempt periodically to see if anything changes) I received a notice that my account may have been accessed by someone else and I should reset my password. I did this but then got the same alert that my account was permanently banned. At that time I had not been able to access my account for more than 15 days, and this was the first and only acknowledgement that someone else had accessed my account.

I have record of all emails from FB showing attempts to gain access to my account, and I have filed a police report In my town re: identity theft. I have attempted to email and call all known contact information for Facebook and receive no responses except for the automated from the online help center.

I am VERY confident that I have not violated any terms. I have no record of any violations, temporary bans or any content removed prior to this. I believe that if I could appeal or have my case reviewed by a person at FB that would be clear (for example, IP addresses would show two separate locations, even countries, accessing my account at nearly the exact same time).

Does anyone have additional information for contacting FB, or suggestions for help? It’s incredibly frustrating that I was not only not protected from having my information compromised but am also suffering because of it. It’s a very stressful time to be isolated from friends and family on social media, when social media is the only safe way to stay in contact. I also had have photos and videos that don’t exist anywhere else, as well as conversations with now deceased family members.
What is 'scrolling'?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
TO ALL FACEBOOK USERS FB is a social media site. Your account at FB belongs to FB. Everything in your account belongs to FB. You use FB for free and have no rights at FB. Do not post precious items on your FB account without backing them up. Do not try to run a business using FB. Use FB for what it is, a convenient fun social media site to allow members to keep up with their friends and other people of interest.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Not necessarily "lurking," which suggests scrolling through other people's profiles and messages.

Reading the posts that appear in one's own feed (or the profiles of one's own friends) without commenting or posting new content is in no way "lurking."
Is there a point in here somewhere?

Apr 27, 2020
I wish you luck with getting this sorted out. You have fallen into a common trap of losing precious photos and information when you lose your FB account. It happens to a lot of people, and many don't realize that FB has the right to take your photos and publish them. I am very careful what photos I post on FB. I hope you can access your account again, so you can move those precious memories off Facebook.
Thank you. I am very careful with what I post and who it is visible too. Thankfully most of my photos and videos are backed up, but technology has changed a lot in 11 years and unfortunately some things are lost through the transition from blackberry to digital camera to bloggie to iPhone. And conversations with now deceased relatives that happened on FB never existed anywhere else .
If I can recover my information I definitely won’t let anything important exist there again. If this can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I'm far from a FB techie, but is it possible the first 3 emails (one of them in an unrecognizable language) were illicit phishing attempts, and you clicked on some link in one or more of them, and that the hacker disabled your account? Carefully check the addresses they were sent from, including the country extensions (example - .ru=Russia) and document the actions you took when you read the emails. Then send your information to FB's security department (if you can find contact info for them) and ask them if they can determine if the deactivation was legitimate.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and jsn55