Marriott Vacations

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 4, 2020
I purchased a Marriott Vacations package for 6 nights at the Cancun JW Marriott for dates 1/10-1/16/20. I booked business class air and a club level room. I had just returned from my mother's death and funeral, and in my confusion it did not occur to me that we could actually travel January 11-19, and have a longer stay. I would like to be able to change my dates, adding 2 nights at the hotel, without paying high penalties. We have caled the Marriott Vacations number several times, and received a different answer each time.

What's your desired resolution? I would like for Marriott Vacations to consider the human factor in this situation. Let a loyal Bonvoy member change the dates, adding 2 extra hotel nights, and different flights, without high penalties which make the trip unaffordable.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)3022

Date of transaction/travel date: 2020-01-02

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What were the terms of the booking? Were the rates you had nonrefundable? If they are, you probably can my change them but you might be able to do a separate two night booking. Did you try that?

As far as the air, you won’t have an option of doing tust for low cost- Marriott can’t control that. You’ll be charged a per person change fee plus any difference in the current cost of the air.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It all depends on what you actually booked. Study those confirmations to see if there's some wiggle room. There's not enough detail here to be sure, but I'm sure that the air is non-refundable. If it's a basic fare, you can't change it at all. The airline might give you a credit less change fees and the cost of new tix. The hotel part might be changeable, but I don't think you have enough negotiation time before your scheduled departure. The vacations entity is not Marriott, it's a different company. They probably have little interest in the loyalty status of Bonvoy members. Unless they want to sell you a time share ... then they might be amazingly flexible.

I would contact Bonvoy and throw yourself on their mercy ... but it's a very, very long shot. You're probably much better off sticking with the original plan. I think that I would get on the plane 1/10 and negotiate with the hotel in person for the extra 2 nights. If that works, visit the airport and see if you can get your return tix changed without a penalty ... or toss your return if you can buy new one-way tix for less than the change fees. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
Thanks for the responses. I'm always willing to try to change things that are supposedly unchangeable, and I've had success sometimes. I think it's nice when companies pay attention to the human element. So no, I didn't purchase the insurance. And adding two nights at an outrageous price wouldn't help the airfare.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
BTW, a representative at Marriott Vacations tonight told me the airfare was refundable. o_O
Really? What does your written confirmation day about cancels time or changes? I would call the airline first and ask.

We need to know what your confirmation says. That should have the cancelation or change information in it.

If it were me- I’d just go on the original dates.

Reactions: ibawaya
Jan 4, 2020
Thank you all for the responses. I don't need help interpreting written policies. If that's the purpose of this forum, I just posted in the wrong place. I was looking for creative solutions. Thanks again.

Reactions: James AZ
Dec 19, 2014
Let a loyal Bonvoy member change the dates, adding 2 extra hotel nights, and different flights, without high penalties which make the trip unaffordable.
The problem is....

Vacations by Marriott is NOT the same as Marriott. It is a separate company that has a licensing agreement with Marriott. Thus, your Marriott status is essentially meaningless with Vacations by Marriott. A common complaint is that this is not properly disclosed. There is even a forum post on this subject (https://forum.elliott.org/threads/vacations-by-marriott-are-not-vacations-by-marriott.7633/ ) as well as numerous Google results.

Unfortunately, your solution will have to go through Vacations by Marriott, and not Bonvoy.

Couple of other additional comments:
- Refundable does not necessarily translate to changeable. So, the fact that the business class tickets are refundable does not mean they can simply change the dates. The fare class has to be available on the new itinerary and you still have to meet all ticket booking requirements (ie advance purchase requirement)
- Since the hotel was booked as part of a bulk rate versus a public rate, the hotel dates are likely unchangeable unless authorized by the tour company (in this case it may be Expedia). A solution would be to purchase, use points or a combination of both for the final 2 nights. The rate may not at a low rate, but I don't think Marriott owes you to extend a discounted rate.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Yes, I imagine most people would assume all the rules are set in stone.
Thank you all for the responses. I don't need help interpreting written policies. If that's the purpose of this forum, I just posted in the wrong place. I was looking for creative solutions. Thanks again.
Rules are not set in stone, but you are asking for an exception, not an expectation. As a neutral 3rd party observer, your posts sound like you have expectations. We (at least I), an not trying to give you a hard time, but there your original post does not have the complete information to even allow us (at least me) to fully understand your position, much less even being able to offer a solution.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Please don't get offended. This forum has posters from all walks of life, each with it's own life experience; no two are alike. In order for us to provide a poster with the best course of action, we need all the facts, even the tiniest detail.

Its important to point out that you are asking to be afforded an exception to change the terms of the vacation package you purchased. Emotion or "the human element " usually holds no sway because these customer service folks have heard it all. In our experience politely asking for an exception is the best way.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@BittyBoo well said. Its best to approach situations like this as.....expect the worst, hope for the best.

I recently had a situation where I wanted to cancel a non-refundable hotel. I wrote to them asking for an exception to their terms but they declined. I have CFAR insurance so will use it but thought I would try getting a refund first. It was well within their right to deny me a refund based on what I agreed to. And I accept that.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I purchased a Marriott Vacations package for 6 nights at the Cancun JW Marriott for dates 1/10-1/16/20. I booked business class air and a club level room. I had just returned from my mother's death and funeral, and in my confusion it did not occur to me that we could actually travel January 11-19, and have a longer stay. I would like to be able to change my dates, adding 2 nights at the hotel, without paying high penalties. We have caled the Marriott Vacations number several times, and received a different answer each time.

What's your desired resolution? I would like for Marriott Vacations to consider the human factor in this situation. Let a loyal Bonvoy member change the dates, adding 2 extra hotel nights, and different flights, without high penalties which make the trip unaffordable.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)3022

Date of transaction/travel date: 2020-01-02
Which airline are you traveling? When I decided to change my dates of travel to Hawaii from 1/8-1/15 to 1/4-1/15 instead and asked United if they'd waive the $400 in change fees, to my surprise, they did! It never hurts to ask. We're flying first class, but it's discounted FC so they weren't fully refundable fares and I had no real confidence they'd do it but voila sooo... Good Luck!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Which airline are you traveling? When I decided to change my dates of travel to Hawaii from 1/8-1/15 to 1/4-1/15 instead and asked United if they'd waive the $400 in change fees, to my surprise, they did! It never hurts to ask. We're flying first class, but it's discounted FC so they weren't fully refundable fares and I had no real confidence they'd do it but voila sooo... Good Luck!
I am very happy to read this. It's always been my opinion that a first/biz res will find the airline a teensy bit more willing to help with a change, at least that's been my experience 3 or 4 times over the last few years. Always, always ASK!

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I am very happy to read this. It's always been my opinion that a first/biz res will find the airline a teensy bit more willing to help with a change, at least that's been my experience 3 or 4 times over the last few years. Always, always ASK!
Yeah, it was only $140 or so fare differential, which was quite reasonable so I thought "why not ask?" Worst case, I was in no worse position. Best case, $400 ahead! I guess I should have used the phrasing "flexible" fare rather than "refundable"in the previous post, also. I tend to use the terms interchangeably, incorrectly. I have found lately that United seems to be trying to step up their customer service game though. When my seat wouldn't recline on a recent flight I got a free drink and a refund of my upgrade with no fuss, as well. They're still not my favorite but they've moved up the list, at least in my estimation! AA is still the Devil though!

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yeah, it was only $140 or so fare differential, which was quite reasonable so I thought "why not ask?" Worst case, I was in no worse position. Best case, $400 ahead! I guess I should have used the phrasing "flexible" fare rather than "refundable"in the previous post, also. I tend to use the terms interchangeably, incorrectly. I have found lately that United seems to be trying to step up their customer service game though. When my seat wouldn't recline on a recent flight I got a free drink and a refund of my upgrade with no fuss, as well. They're still not my favorite but they've moved up the list, at least in my estimation! AA is still the Devil though!
I watched United start to really try when I still had status with them. I saw lots of positive changes and your story is a good one. When a customer has to beg for justice, the company is doing something wrong. When a customer is treated well, everyone benefits. After the years on this forum, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming onto an AA airplane. as far as I can see, American just seems to enjoy torturing everyone, all the time.

Reactions: Mel65

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I watched United start to really try when I still had status with them. I saw lots of positive changes and your story is a good one. When a customer has to beg for justice, the company is doing something wrong. When a customer is treated well, everyone benefits. After the years on this forum, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming onto an AA airplane. as far as I can see, American just seems to enjoy torturing everyone, all the time.
United is best in class on one thing - their television commercials. The strain from Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue is really evocative with the video images. But that's still not enough to convince me to fly with them. :)