Marriott and Car Rental Offers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 28, 2019
I've been trying to book a car rental for our stay at Marriott's Surfers Paradise in Australia. I used Marriott's link to search a range of cars/providers. For our preferred vehicle type, the answer came up for an Intermediate SUV (Mitsubishi Outlander or similar) at $45.64 USD per day from Enterprise or $46.67 USD per day from Alamo.

I had previously tried my Amex account and found the very same car/provider at $41.20 AUD per day.

At first I wasn’t too troubled but then I realised that the Marriott price was in USD which meant $66.66 AUD per day.
I'm shocked, and indeed horrified, that using my Marriott account would cost me >50% extra for the same service.

It's now several days since I sent a query to Marriott but no response.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
What response are you expecting from Marriott? Why wouldn't you just book the cheaper direct rates?

When I was last in Vegas I wanted to rent a car to sightsee for a day - the hotel advertised rates that were supposedly several % off but were quite a bit more expensive than taking a $5 cab ride to a car rental place and renting from there. It didn't horrify me - I wasn't surprised at all that a captive audience + convenience (pick up rental at hotel) = higher rates.

Apr 28, 2019
What response are you expecting from Marriott? Why wouldn't you just book the cheaper direct rates?

When I was last in Vegas I wanted to rent a car to sightsee for a day - the hotel advertised rates that were supposedly several % off but were quite a bit more expensive than taking a $5 cab ride to a car rental place and renting from there. It didn't horrify me - I wasn't surprised at all that a captive audience + convenience (pick up rental at hotel) = higher rates.
What am I expecting from Marriott? Well given the fees one pays them and long term loyalty, together with their glowing advertising of the benefits of being a Marriott member, it seems reasonable to me that they might provide some benefit to their members. I haven't heard back from them but I am tempted to see this as a rip-off. However, I await a response from Marriott perhaps with them saying this was all an error and that they will of course only charge equivalent rates or better for Members.

Sep 19, 2015
What am I expecting from Marriott? Well given the fees one pays them and long term loyalty, together with their glowing advertising of the benefits of being a Marriott member, it seems reasonable to me that they might provide some benefit to their members. I haven't heard back from them but I am tempted to see this as a rip-off. However, I await a response from Marriott perhaps with them saying this was all an error and that they will of course only charge equivalent rates or better for Members.
The fees you pay Marriott are to stay in a hotel correct?

Do they have a best car rental rate benefit?

Reactions: justlisa and VoR61
Apr 28, 2019
The fees you pay Marriott are to stay in a hotel correct?

Do they have a best car rental rate benefit?
You pay their fees to get a range of benefits, not just hotel stays. In relation to car rentals their website specifically says "Through our partnership with Hertz, Marriott Bonvoy offers discounts on the base rental price". Now the car that popped up via their website link and my preferences was with Alamo but it seems to be a reasonable assumption that their volume purchasing capacity would give them discounts on all major rental car providers. That's the issue for me - a >50% mark-up on regular retail price is unacceptable.

Apr 28, 2019
Thank you. I did ask them re the hire car price discrepency via their web contact form but after nearly a week still no response hence my use of Elliott. I will try the customer.care email before escalating up the tree.

Jan 30, 2018
As they say, it's a free country. Marriott is free to charge whatever they want for their rooms, rental car arrangements, etc. And you are free to give them your business or not. I imagine they have hundreds of thousands of members (if not millions) especially now that they have merged with other major chains. Perhaps enough of those members do not do their homework and book with them for convenience, thus they make money which is what being in business is all about.

Apr 27, 2016
by definition the price may be competitive but not much lower because Marriott gets a cut. I've booked car services (limo) from Marriott for convenience and recourse (someone to look for help if things go wrong) which means a lot for me when I travel in to an unfamiliar place with the wife. i'm a lifetime platinum (don't know new name) and I never book supplemental services from marriott for price. sometimes it's worth paying a higher price. I book directly thru hertz for all my normal car rentals.

Jun 27, 2017
It seems long-term loyalty doesn't count for much any more, regardless if it's tied to certain airlines, hotels or car rental companies. We have found that our annual fees or points or purchases don't return as many perks as they did previously. But we are not heavy-duty travelers or purchasers. Our own reality check on loyalty came when SPG/Starwood merged with Marriott. Our long-term loyalty went out the window, along with the value of our perks, before the ink on the merger contract dried.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 20, 2015
I disagree with the LW that it's a 'captive audience'...it isn't. You are always free to shop around. Marriott is providing convenience I suppose--one stop shopping--but there can be a price paid for convenience. My advice--run, don't walk, to the car rental company website and book there. It's Marriott's loss.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
In my experience, all the the so-called partnerships are just hype. I've never found a single penny in savings by booking anything but a room or a flight through a company where I enjoy loyalty status. I check occasionally, but never fall for the partnership claim ... it's just advertising to the uninitiated.

I think of it as "the brother-in-law" syndrome. Some guy starts up a successful travel company, then his BIL comes along and wants to hitch his wagon on and make money renting cars or whatever. They're hoping you'll not check and fall for whatever price they want to charge you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I find my best car rental rates through AARP or AAA or even Costco. Just because you are paying for the Marriott card doesn’t mean they have cheap car rates. I have an Amex platinum card and find I can get better deals by myself many times.

Look somewhere else for a car rental.

Mar 20, 2019
I find my best car rental rates through AARP or AAA or even Costco. Just because you are paying for the Marriott card doesn’t mean they have cheap car rates. I have an Amex platinum card and find I can get better deals by myself many times.

Look somewhere else for a car rental.
Costco rates are always the lowest I can find and they include an additional driver at no cost.

Reactions: krisseye