Living Spaces sofa had an issue after a year and a half, store would not honor warranty

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 18, 2020
I purchased a Deegan Power Reclining Sofa ($779.03) and Deegan Power Recliner ($440.97) from Living Spaces on 9/23/18 from the store in Fremont, CA. At the time of the purchase, I also bought the Care Free Warranty in the amount of $186.75. The total purchase price including tax, delivery, and warranty was $1,618.61. On approximately 4/30/20, I noticed that the leather on the front left side of the sofa where one would rest one's head, has bubbled, in other words, the leather has come unglued from its backing. The bubbling is about 13 inches long from side to side and 9 inches long from top to bottom, so quite large. I filed a claim assuming that the warranty would cover the damage, but they denied it stating that it was a manufacturer's defect, and the warranty doesn't cover manufacturers's defects.

When I looked up the product, I did find another buyer that had the same issue after two years. Also when I looked up complaints of Living Spaces filed with the Better Business Bureau, there were very very many and they were all basically the same. People had purchased an item of furniture, bought the warranty, something went wrong with the furniture (usually after a short period of time or even during delivery) and Living Spaces refused to honor the warranty.

As yet, I have not emailed any customer service managers (I have found their email addresses). I am trying to determine the best course of action. Ideally I would like a refund for the couch and really the recliner as well as I will have to buy a whole new set that matches, but looking at all the complaints, they never offer to refund anyone monetarily. In maybe two cases, they offered to replace the furniture.

My ultimate goal is a refund and I will return the furniture. At the very least, I want them to honor the warranty and replace the sofa, although I feel that this damage will probably just happen again after a year due to the sofa being of poor craftsmanship.

Attachments

Feb 3, 2017
Does the warranty you bought say that it does not cover such defects? Most warranties specifically detail what they will not cover.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
So I found the warranty page online. I would think this would fall under the "A structural or component failure due to a defect in materials or workmanship" coverage as the leather is a component of the couch. Have you pointed out this coverage in their policy and if so what was their response? https://www.livingspaces.com/help/care-free-plan (To be fair I haven't the more in depth T&Cs which is here https://www.livingspaces.com/globalassets/uniters/LS_CareFree_Furn5YR_Under1000_v20190308.pdf if someone wants to dive into it)

Feb 21, 2018
I'm going to say that based on the highlighted areas, the OP is not going to get satisfaction:
1590076033563.png

I suspect the 'warranty' is more for the actual construction of the frame and mechanics, not what is covering the furniture.

May 18, 2020
Thank you justlisa, you are correct, I will point this out to them, it absolutely falls within that category. Will report the outcome.

Jun 24, 2019
Not to quibble, but you did not buy a warranty. Rather, you have a service plan. To a consumer, the two should look the same. Uniters, the provider of your service plan (through Tarmo, LLC), is a Florida corporation, but has a license from the California Department of Consumer Affairs, and is registered in California. The DCA provides regulatory oversight for some service plans; your may not be covered, but you can follow this link and inquire:

In reading the service plan, it excludes manufacturer's defects in leather. The agreement also has a rather tough arbitration provision. However, you may still have claims against Living Spaces, depending upon any separate warranty you have with Living Spaces. The current Living Spaces page reports that Livining Spaces provides a 1 year warranty.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Not to quibble, but you did not buy a warranty. Rather, you have a service plan. To a consumer, the two should look the same. Uniters, the provider of your service plan (through Tarmo, LLC), is a Florida corporation, but has a license from the California Department of Consumer Affairs, and is registered in California. The DCA provides regulatory oversight for some service plans; your may not be covered, but you can follow this link and inquire:

In reading the service plan, it excludes manufacturer's defects in leather. The agreement also has a rather tough arbitration provision. However, you may still have claims against Living Spaces, depending upon any separate warranty you have with Living Spaces. The current Living Spaces page reports that Livining Spaces provides a 1 year warranty.
The sofa is not leather. It is
Base Cloth TypeHigh Performance Fabric

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The OP said “ I noticed that the leather on the front left side of the sofa where one would rest one's head, has bubbled, in other words, the leather has come unglued from its backing.”

But I agree with you- you don’t get leather at that price. If it was real leather it most likely wouldn’t have seen wear like this.

But msmayor pointed out the “warranty” doesn’t cover wear and tear on fabric.

May 18, 2020
The OP said “ I noticed that the leather on the front left side of the sofa where one would rest one's head, has bubbled, in other words, the leather has come unglued from its backing.”

But I agree with you- you don’t get leather at that price. If it was real leather it most likely wouldn’t have seen wear like this.

But msmayor pointed out the “warranty” doesn’t cover wear and tear on fabric.
Whether or not it is leather is not the issue, and I resent the implication "had I paid for leather, no wear like this would not have occurred." If you look at the photos, there is no wear and tear on the "fabric," it is pristine! The fact is the fabric has come unglued from its backing, which should not have occurred after a year and a half on a fabric or leather piece of furniture!!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It doesn’t matter what kind of material it is- it doesn’t seem to be covered by the “warranty”. I’m willing to bet that their claim is going to be its wear and tear.

I would be angry as well if it were me but those warranties are really almost worthless because if you read what it covers. And it’s not just this manufacturer- they all do the same thing.

If the warranty is what justlisa posted it clearly states it doesn’t cover inherent design defects- and that’s what this is.