Le Meridien Frankfurt Service Failure

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2019
Here is a message I sent the primary Marriott contact after I was disappointed with their response to date. If you like, I can keep the forum updated with the response and you can suggest edits if I have to escalate. I tried to keep it short, but wanted to point out all the service failures. Thanks.

Renee,

I would like to relay a disappointing stay I had at the Le Meridien, Frankfurt Germany from June 25 through June 30. It seemed very unbecoming of a luxury hotel like Le Meridien and the initial follow up from Marriott has been equally disappointing.

• June 25th at 10pm overflow condensate from the A/C unit began to stream down from the ceiling light fixture into my room 864.
  • Spoke with the front desk, gave me a free drink ticket and told me maintenance would take care of the issue.
  • 11pm returned to front desk, new person hadn’t heard of the situation and said maintenance was too busy to get to it but promised it would be soon.
  • Asked for the manager and was told she was not on site.
  • Waited in my room for maintenance.
  • 12am returned the front desk, new person hadn’t heard of the issue.
  • Demanded to see the manager. Manager hadn’t heard of the issue. Manager told me there isn’t anyone from maintenance in the building anymore. Was told hotel was full and nothing they could do to accommodate me. Promised to send someone to help resolve the issue.
  • 12:45am one of the front desk workers arrives in the room to drain some of the water from the A/C unit. They came alone and I had to assist them in the operation.
  • I slept in the unit and the problem returned during the night.
  • June 26th at 8am returned to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager.
  • Manager had not heard of the issue even though I asked the night crew to leave her a message.
  • Promised to change my room while I was out for breakfast.
  • 11am returned to the front desk, could not give me a new room yet, but had already removed my luggage from the old room while maintenance worked on the ceiling.
  • Changed into my business suit in the small fitness room bathroom.
  • 2pm new room was finally available
  • Manager offered me 3000 Bonvoy points for my trouble.

I have a video of the incident if you would like to better understand the situation. Do you feel this was an appropriate response from Le Meridien? Is there something else they could have done within the first 3 hours of this ordeal? Why didn’t anybody own the resolution, rather than forgetting about it as soon as I walked away? I’m confused as to why I had to hunt them down when there was a maintenance issue damaging their hotel. I think it was unreasonable to have me stay in a room for 16 hours that had a risk of electrocution, slipping and damage to my property. In retrospect, I should have moved out myself in the middle of the night and found alternate accommodations, but I kept hoping the hotel would do the right thing look into nearby Marriott hotels. I don’t think that 3000 Bonvoy points (1/20th of a night stay) is an acceptable resolution. I would like to stay at one of your hotels in the future. I am requesting a voucher for a night or two at a similar quality hotel as Le Meridien.

Thank you,

Person, Membership Number

May 1, 2018
Is there something specific you want Marriott to do for you? What outcome do you expect as a result of sending this message?

Jan 3, 2019
I'm asking for a voucher for a future night stay in a similar quality hotel. I'm also hoping this helps them empathize with the customer a bit more and put ownership into solving their problems. The apathy there was jarring.

Dec 19, 2014
Have you communicated with the general manager of the hotel?
Who have you communicated with at Marriott corporate?

Based on your experiences, 3000 Bonvoy points is not adequate compensation for the issue you described. In my opinion, asking for 35,000 points which represents 1 night at Category 5 level hotel is reasonable.

My only suggestion is to take out "risk of electrocution, slipping and damage to property." How much water are we talking about? Was it dripping or was it gushing like a waterfall? You had an maintenance issue that resulted in your stay not meeting the level of quality and standard you expect at a business hotel. The hotel failed to address it despite repeated assurances. It took 24 hours before you were moved to a different issue.

Jan 3, 2019
I spoke with the night manager that evening and the day manager the next day. Their response was maintenance was unavailable and they were full, so there was nothing that could be done. I assumed at a higher end chain they would have been trained to deal with difficult situations. I was trying not to be an ugly customer by posting my video of the leak on their twitter feed and publicly shaming them. The thing that kept setting me off during the ordeal is every time I would speak to someone, they would ask for my room number. It's the one that's leaking water. Nobody communicated with anybody. I really wanted to come to an amicable solution, but got nothing but shrugs and excuses.
It was a significant amount of water coming out of the lighting fixture for hours. I added that part about electrocution (since the water was in contact with electrical wires) and slipping to let them know that there were risks with keeping a customer in there. If I had been injured during my stay, that would have been more costly than moving me to a better location. If it's acceptable to add the video here, I will do so.

The 3000 points were offered by the day manager as an apology. Both my colleague and I were confused, thinking she meant 30,000. But only 3000 were added to my account. Considering she didn't know what was going on the next day, and that she thought 3000 points were acceptable, I didn't feel it was worthwhile dealing with them any more. I was very calm and patient the entire time. I never yelled, never called names and hoped that kindness would yield better results.

Jan 3, 2019
Marriott responded today by crediting me 47,000 additional points, which I feel is very generous. I appreciate that they took the time to understand my experience.

Dec 19, 2014
Marriott responded today by crediting me 47,000 additional points, which I feel is very generous. I appreciate that they took the time to understand my experience.
Glad corporate went above and beyond, giving you a total of 50000 points for a category 6 stay.

Please don't misinterpret my previous post. What you experienced was completely unacceptable. Hopefully corporate will address these issues with the general manager of the property for employee retraining.