KTN on boarding pass

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 9, 2020
I have gone through the TSA precheck application process and was assigned my KTN. I add the number when making reservations online, but the KTN is not on my boarding pass. When I receive my 'time to check-in email', the number shows up on the email, but not on my boarding pass. Delta customer service told me the TSA randomly pulls the number off of passes, the TSA told me it was the airlines mistake. I don't know how to get this corrected.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are never guaranteed TSA pre-check when you buy a ticket. Delta is 100% correct- TSA randomly does do this and Delta can’t do a think about it.

When you arrive at the airport and check in, ask the agent to input it again and see if it will print on your boarding pass.

This information is on the TSA website:

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I was assigned pre-check on my Delta flight last week, and I have never applied for any of the Trusted Traveler/TSA programs ever. It's definitely random. There were a lot of empty lines called "Clear", whatever that is.

Reactions: jsn55
Nov 27, 2019
I have gone through the TSA precheck application process and was assigned my KTN. I add the number when making reservations online, but the KTN is not on my boarding pass. When I receive my 'time to check-in email', the number shows up on the email, but not on my boarding pass. Delta customer service told me the TSA randomly pulls the number off of passes, the TSA told me it was the airlines mistake. I don't know how to get this corrected.
So, the issue is that your KTN is in your reservation, but your boarding pass is not showing Pre-Check?

Sounds like it might be a mismatch between the information in your reservation and the information that TSA has in connection to your KTN. If you use Twitter, tweet to @AskTSA, telling them your problem. They'll ask you to send them a DM with your name, DOB, and reservation number, and an actual human will look at it. My spouse had this issue, and the TSA actually fixed the problem. Turns out a travel agent had somehow entered new secure flight data (including a completely wrong birthdate) when making a reservation for them, and it propagated into Delta's system.

Also, check the Delta website to confirm that the Secure Flight Passenger Data in your Skymiles profile is correct. Go to https://www.delta.com/profile/basicInfo.action, and check the section labeled Secure Flight Passenger Data. If that link doesn't work, go to My Delta, then View My Profile, then Open Basic Info.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I've shown my KTN to the agent when I physically checked in at the airport and they've reprinted me a new boarding pass with my TSA precheck on it before, when it hasn't been there. Of course, it sort of negates the point of printing the boarding pass at home, but if it's important to you to get it ... and if you have a bag to check in anyway, it's worth asking ...

Jan 16, 2017
If you have a KTN, and it matches correctly including middle names/initials etc, to your airline FF profile and ticket, you should always get TSA precheck on your boarding pass. However, you may be randomly selected for additional screening at the checkpoint. I know I always hear that it is not guaranteed, but it is not true. i manage travel at a large company and have helped employees with this issue over the past few years. I hardly hear of these issues now...only with a new enrollee. No disrespect intended to Neil or any of the amazing posters on this site. I have learned so much here and don’t usually post. But I wanted to share this.

Reactions: mmb

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you have a KTN, and it matches correctly including middle names/initials etc, to your airline FF profile and ticket, you should always get TSA precheck on your boarding pass. However, you may be randomly selected for additional screening at the checkpoint. I know I always hear that it is not guaranteed, but it is not true. i manage travel at a large company and have helped employees with this issue over the past few years. I hardly hear of these issues now...only with a new enrollee. No disrespect intended to Neil or any of the amazing posters on this site. I have learned so much here and don’t usually post. But I wanted to share this.
Thank you for the information, Kenn, but I find it confusing. I've always had the TSAPre on my BP, so I'm interested in what to do if one day it doesn't appear. I'm reading that you should always get TSA Pre on your BP if all details are correct on your KTN. But occasionally not due to random screening. But then you state that TSA Pre is always guaranteed. So what's the bottom line? How have you helped employees and what issue have they had? I always like to be prepared for these little challenges at 530am.

Jan 16, 2017
Hello @jsn. Expedited screening is not guaranteed. But TSA pre-check should always appear on your boarding pass if it is working properly. I obtained TSA pre early on. From time to time, when i scan by boarding pass, it does something different, and i am told to step aside for additional screening. Or, upon going through the metal detector, something goes off and i get either pat down or they go through my things. These are the random things that they reference above. You should still always get TSA-pre on your boarding pass. But that does not mean expedited screening.

One caveat--i have been SSSS'd on a flight back from Europe. I had to have that cleared, and when I went to connect home, i had to stop at the ticket counter and they removed and re-entered my TSA pre#. Voila--I had TSA pre on my connection back home.

As far as what to do at 530 AM when you are traveling--best thing I can suggest there is to check in online the day before travel as you have time to deal with any issues. I have had great success in asking people to look at their airline FF profiles, their name on the reservation, and their name on their pre-check. You have to make it match. If you call the airline they can help you troubleshoot. Elite status is very helpful in these cases--but i know status is a "4-letter word" 'round these parts.

Hope that helps--just respectfully sharing my experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hello @jsn. Expedited screening is not guaranteed. But TSA pre-check should always appear on your boarding pass if it is working properly. I obtained TSA pre early on. From time to time, when i scan by boarding pass, it does something different, and i am told to step aside for additional screening. Or, upon going through the metal detector, something goes off and i get either pat down or they go through my things. These are the random things that they reference above. You should still always get TSA-pre on your boarding pass. But that does not mean expedited screening.

One caveat--i have been SSSS'd on a flight back from Europe. I had to have that cleared, and when I went to connect home, i had to stop at the ticket counter and they removed and re-entered my TSA pre#. Voila--I had TSA pre on my connection back home.

As far as what to do at 530 AM when you are traveling--best thing I can suggest there is to check in online the day before travel as you have time to deal with any issues. I have had great success in asking people to look at their airline FF profiles, their name on the reservation, and their name on their pre-check. You have to make it match. If you call the airline they can help you troubleshoot. Elite status is very helpful in these cases--but i know status is a "4-letter word" 'round these parts.

Hope that helps--just respectfully sharing my experience.
Kenn - from the TSA website - it is not guaranteed you will receive TSA pre check on every flight.I had a boarding pass that did not have it printed on even though I was eligible. It actually happened to me and there was nothing wrong nor any changes in my TSA information. I had to go through the regular security lines.

If I am TSA Pre✓® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?

No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

Reactions: marlene_nyc
Jan 16, 2017
I guess our experiences differ. The 2-3 times i didn't get it on my boarding pass at check-in, I called the airline and they were able to fix it. Perhaps it was a Concur issue as most of my travel is business related. I also believe when you are randomly selected for additional screening, that explains the answer to the question above. I think I answered @jsn55's question. I think we will agree to disagree on this one.

Safe travels to all.

Mar 16, 2019
I guess our experiences differ. The 2-3 times i didn't get it on my boarding pass at check-in, I called the airline and they were able to fix it. Perhaps it was a Concur issue as most of my travel is business related. I also believe when you are randomly selected for additional screening, that explains the answer to the question above. I think I answered @jsn55's question. I think we will agree to disagree on this one.

Safe travels to all.
Kenn, Neil is right. I work for an airline, and the Pre-Check indicator doesn’t always appear. Even when everything matches perfectly, it still may not appear. Pre-Check is never guaranteed. If you’re a frequent traveler, the best combo is Pre-Check with Clear.