Kenmore elite washing machine top

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 5, 2020
I was in a chat with a person at searshomeservices.comtoday. My Kenmore elite washer top exploded. I was told my warranty was no longer. I was told to schedule a repair appt which I did and was done on 3/26/2020 order number xxxxxx.

The repair person stated the part would be in by the follow up visit which is scheduled for April 7, 2020.

I began to do research and saw this “exploding top” has occurred several times. We are in a pandemic and the only way to wash our clothes is to go to a laundry mat - that is unacceptable. Further after my wife was cut by a shard of glass from your defective top, it is imperative that this machine be recalled and my entire machine be replaced.

I also found out in my chat today the part is on back order. Further in my conversation with the repair person he stated he has dealt with this before and that the top has had to be redesigned.

I bought this washer, a dryer, a stove, microwave, and refrigerator during Harvey because I lost my house to the flood. I trust Sears and have always had Kenmore products. This is truly unacceptable.

At this point I am asking for a new machine due to the fact that although I vacuumed out the glass, as the repairman stated it is possible shards could be in the holes of the tub.

Please contact me at
Eric Blume

Sent from my iPhone

Note- edited by moderator to remove service request number.

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Unfortunately, since the article noted above was published in Apri 2018, Sears filed for bankruptcy in October 2018. Sears has been hanging on by a very thin thread since then, and the current retail environment will not help them at all.

You can use the Sears company contacts to see if they will help you, but if you really need a washing machine soon you should order an inexpensive one from Home Depot or similar and have it delivered.

Sears has very few stores left and no capital reserves.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There's a big issue with delivery these days, it may be very difficult to get a new washer delivered further than the front door. This is going to develop into a big problem if the isolation isn't over soon.

FOR ALL OUR READERS We all need to be super-careful with all our appliances and gadgets during this time. It may be very difficult to get any repairs done. For example, I have projects require changes, or peripherals attached to my computer, but I'm not going to start any of it ... I can't imagine how I'd get it repaired if I caused some trouble.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
A coworker's refrigerator died before the shutdown in Missouri. He ordered a new one from Best Buy and they were supposed to deliver it a couple of weeks ago. They told him they weren't doing any more deliveries and this was two weeks ago. I had a small one in my basement I let him borrow so he wasn't using a cooler all this time.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
A coworker's refrigerator died before the shutdown in Missouri. He ordered a new one from Best Buy and they were supposed to deliver it a couple of weeks ago. They told him they weren't doing any more deliveries and this was two weeks ago. I had a small one in my basement I let him borrow so he wasn't using a cooler all this time.
My local HD says they will deliver an in-stock washing machine on April 10. Amazon is also selling washing machines and says they will deliver. We are using Amazon 2x/wk to supplement home grocery delivery. UPS delivers Amazon orders to our home regularly. This may depend on your location and what you order.

Apr 5, 2020
Here you go - Chris did a story on this awhile ago:

Thank you. I got a response from Transformco - the new sears name because of bankruptcy. I bought the washer in 2017 and they stated it was out of warranty - which I knew. However they also stated they had this issue several times, that there was a "service flash" created noting that consumers had experienced this issue and the part was redesigned. They also said that they did not do a recall because "there were not enough shattered lids to generate a recall"

My question is what is a "service flash"? How many lids have to "explode" before there is a recall? Finally I have explained thoroughly to them that there are glass shards in the machine and even though you replace the lid, that is not getting rid of the glass that already fell into the holes of the tub or the ports to pour bleach in.

Finally with the contacts for Sears the only one that still works there is Rob Baker and he had someone respond to my complaint.

Can anyone offer me information on what I need to do? The machine should be replaced but they aren't doing that.

Thank you
Eric Blume

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you. I got a response from Transformco - the new sears name because of bankruptcy. I bought the washer in 2017 and they stated it was out of warranty - which I knew. However they also stated they had this issue several times, that there was a "service flash" created noting that consumers had experienced this issue and the part was redesigned. They also said that they did not do a recall because "there were not enough shattered lids to generate a recall"

My question is what is a "service flash"? How many lids have to "explode" before there is a recall? Finally I have explained thoroughly to them that there are glass shards in the machine and even though you replace the lid, that is not getting rid of the glass that already fell into the holes of the tub or the ports to pour bleach in.

Finally with the contacts for Sears the only one that still works there is Rob Baker and he had someone respond to my complaint.

Can anyone offer me information on what I need to do? The machine should be replaced but they aren't doing that.

Thank you
Eric Blume
There may be nothing further that can be done. It is very possible that the "Transformco" entity will not survive the next few months (or weeks), and that they have no capital reserves or cash flow. This was a rapidly failing business last year well before the current business situation.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
You should replace the washing machine. You will not feel safe with a repair to the old machine, and, in any event, the New Sears has told you they won't fix it. I understand that is money out of your pocket, but you need to do the wash and it is safer these days (and always more convenient) to do it at home. Buying a new washing machine will also disconnect your discomfort with Sears from your need to do the wash.

As to Sears, since you think you have exhausted the company contacts on this site, write to the Consumer Products Safety Commission, other government agencies, consumer reporters in your area, and the like. A simple straight forward factual letter. "I bought a machine for $500. The glass top exploded. This appears to be a design defect and Sears has redesigned it, but Sears refuses to fix the existing machines. Sears even has a service bulletin out to its repair people about the problem. This is a serious safety issue because Sears repair people have told me that even if repaired, glass shards may still be in the machine, where they may cause other parts of the machine to break, shred my clothing, or get embedded in my clothing and cut me and my kids." Etc. You get the picture. I don't know that you will get the response you want, i.e., some reimbursement for buying a new washing machine, but you will feel better.

Echoing Weihlac, above, the New Sears is unlikely to survive.

The fundamental problem you have identified is not that your washing machine broke, but that Sears is broken.

Reactions: Neil Maley