Insurance for future travel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 18, 2020
I don't have a problem so much as I'm looking for guidance. I had several trips cancelled this past spring and feel I was treated very well by all the companies I dealt with, even for my non-refundable bookings. I'm now booking some trips in the future and am not sure I can count on that level of understanding again should there be further pandemic issues. What are your recommendations as to how to protect future trips, for example, are there any CFAR policies that you would recommend that cover situations like we're dealing with now?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
CFAR is the only insurance that would reimburse you if Covid shutdowns happen again. Use a site like insuremytrip.com to compare companies and policies. Glad you had such great experience with your recent booking refunds, thanks for the good news!

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Like Patina said, CFAR are the only policies that would cover you for something similar to a pandemic shut down. The policies I've seen only offer 75% or 90% back, with the 90% back obviously costing a whole lot more. There's lots of companies that sell CFAR. I believe for a lot of them you have to purchase the policies within a certain time period of the deposit - much like policies that exclude pre-existing conditions. Which makes sense as they don't want you to buy a CFAR policy when you need to cancel and then cancel a few days later once it's effective.

Reactions: bigmir728

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No two policies are the same and you would actually need to narrow down a few companies to work with and call them with specific questions on what would and wouldn’t be covered.

If this has taught the public anything it’s to question the actual insurance company - that’s what they are there for. Make a list of questions and call a few.

A good website is insuremytrip. You can search through various companies and then call each company with questions.

Jun 18, 2020
Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice, I will check out some CFAR policies on insuremytrip.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I use a Travel Insurance broker in Omaha. I'd rather have a licensed agent figure out what's best for my needs, since my eyes cross after 5 minutes of reading an insurance policy. I'm quite happy with Travel Insurance Center ... I can start the process online and refine it on the phone.

May 29, 2020
I would be in a search of travel insurance for the past few weeks. I never get the exact information like here. Thank you for posting.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insuremytrip has almost every insurance company you can find and you simply have to find a policy that works and call them and ask questions before you buy. Once you ask questions, if it isn’t the right policy you can go back and find another company.

Reactions: justlisa

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Throwing in my rec for insuremytrip too. It's where I've bought all my plans from (including some medical-only plans since my credit card covered cancellation) with the exception of trips booked through Costco because AIG gives them access to a great policy at a discount (compared to AIG and other policies on insuremytrip the Costco offering was great coverage for much cheaper).

Reactions: Neil Maley