How to prevent JustFly from canceling my Lufthansa flight?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 16, 2015
My husband was using Kayak to find a one-way transatlantic flight. He did not realize that Kayak had redirected him to an online travel agency called JUSTFLY, until he received the purchase confirmation. He thought he had been directed to the Lufthansa booking site.
I became nervous about using JustFly, so I did a search and discovered many posts on travel forums saying that JustFly had arbitrarily cancelled their flight about a week prior to the trip and the customer would have to pay them hundreds of dollars to reinstate the reservation/ticket. Other posters discovered that they did not have a ticket/reservation when they arrived at the airport and had to purchase a very expensive ticket the day of the flight. Additionally, many of these posters could not get a refund for the cancelled ticket. I also found a newpaper article by CBC Canada, indicating that the Better Business Bureau was investigating JustFly. I realize that there are always people posting negative comments, but there are more than a few posting—99% negative—and on more than one reliable forum (TripAdvisor & FlyerTalk).
Based on all of the horror stories I’ve come across, I fear that we will have our November one-way transatlantic flight cancelled. If we had to book the flight today, it would cost us $3,000 each. If we choose not to purchase replacement tickets, we will be out $7,000 in pre-paid services. The travel insurance carrier said that they will not cover any expenses incurred by the actions of a travel agent—only the actual vendor (airline, cruiseline).
I’ve checked the Lufthansa website and we have a “booking code” and “etix” numbers for the flight, assigned seats, and I’ve entered the TSA data for the flight. So, I think we have “tickets” for the flight (rather than just a reservation). But when I called the 800 number for the Lufthansa USA reservations desk, I was told that JustFly could cancel my reservation/tickes up to the time I checked in.
My question is: How do we get Lufthansa to prevent the travel agent (JustFly) from arbitrarily cancelling our flight? Is it possible to block that action?
The other question is: Do we really have “tickets”? How do I know JustFly has paid Lufthansa?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

B

bodega3

To answer your question, there is nothing the carrier can do about an agency canceling your reservation if the agency booked and ticketed the reservation in their GDS.
Questions to you, did you see the charges show up on your credit card and with what company associated with that charge? The airline, this company or another name?

Reactions: AAGK
B

bodega3

BTW, Kayak is a search engine site and directs lookers to various sites. They clearly show the site you are being directed to at the top of the page.

Sep 16, 2015
Lufthansa is on the credit card charge. There is not a charge in the name of JustFly.
I was sure my husband said that he did not know he was redirected by Kayak, but it seems that he did. So, you are correct on that point.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Take the confirmation number you received, go to the Lufthansa website and plug it in to make sure you see the flight and your seat assignments. Then you should feel comfortable .
The only way to book directly with the airline when you use Kayak is to get out of kayak and log into the airlines website. If you click through kayak it takes you to their agency that is booking the tickets. Now just hope there are no changes or cancellations of the flight by lufthansa

Reactions: jsn55
Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
I found this in JustFlys terms and conditions, it is referenced more than once, actually:

"Booking notification: Once your purchase is complete, you should receive an email titled “Booking Notification.” Your booking may provide you with a confirmation number before a ticket has been issued. If this is the case, the booking process is not complete and the fare is subject to change until a ticket is issued."

http://www.justfly.com/terms-and-conditions

Basically, they seem to be stating that until you have a ticket (not a reservation), they can increase the price. So long as you are ticketed, which it appears you are, they cannot charge you more if the price goes up.

B

bodega3

No ticket price is guaranteed until a ticket is issued. This is across the board with an ticketing agency. However, taxes can be increased after ticket issue and depending on the type of tax, can be collected before you can board the plane.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
No ticket price is guaranteed until a ticket is issued. This is across the board with an ticketing agency. However, taxes can be increased after ticket issue and depending on the type of tax, can be collected before you can board the plane.
This makes complete sense to me. You may make a reservation to ensure a seat on a specific flight for whatever reason for a client. But I'm sure you also clearly explain it to them.

What sent up a red flag was the number of times it's mentioned in the terms. There's an faq for "What if the price of my flight increases after I purchase it?" They can charge your card for a reservation when the customer THINKS they have a ticket, then charge a huge rate increase at the last minute when they actually ticket. This is concerning to me, especially considering there are commenters all over online that think they bought a ticket and are charged immediately upon purchase, then find out later they didn't and are charged a huge amount more.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
If Luftansa appears on your credit card statement, I would not worry further. If the worst happened and for some reason your ticket was cancelled, and you disputed with your credit card issuer, then the merchant would be Luftansa anyway. Confirm your flight the way the others suggested. Since the tickets were booked directly with the carrier, it seems you are in the clear.

B

bodega3

This makes complete sense to me. You may make a reservation to ensure a seat on a specific flight for whatever reason for a client. But I'm sure you also clearly explain it to them.

What sent up a red flag was the number of times it's mentioned in the terms. There's an faq for "What if the price of my flight increases after I purchase it?" They can charge your card for a reservation when the customer THINKS they have a ticket, then charge a huge rate increase at the last minute when they actually ticket. This is concerning to me, especially considering there are commenters all over online that think they bought a ticket and are charged immediately upon purchase, then find out later they didn't and are charged a huge amount more.
I haven't a clue to what site you are referring to that people might be using that they aren't ticketed when they put in their credit card payment. Now when it comes to a package that is priced using a bulk/contracted fare, which only requires a deposit and is paired with a rental car, hotel, tour of some sort, then a deposit is put down and the fare isn't guaranteed until ticketed, but the vendor will tell us of a fare increase being done on 'such and such date' and then the client can pay the air in full to guaranteed the booked rate. I know of no other hold on air any longer permitted.

Mar 4, 2015
If you make the reservation directly with the airline, and the 24-hour rule applies, then the quoted price is guaranteed by law. But the 24-hour rule is not binding on travel agencies.

B

bodega3

Correct. But we can void a ticket and request space in a sold out class of service that can't be done online. So things balance out.

I should also note that we can often get a waiver code to protect any fare.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
I haven't a clue to what site you are referring to that people might be using that they aren't ticketed when they put in their credit card payment. Now when it comes to a package that is priced using a bulk/contracted fare, which only requires a deposit and is paired with a rental car, hotel, tour of some sort, then a deposit is put down and the fare isn't guaranteed until ticketed, but the vendor will tell us of a fare increase being done on 'such and such date' and then the client can pay the air in full to guaranteed the booked rate. I know of no other hold on air any longer permitted.
Honestly, I am no expert and am not 100% sure how the process works for What I'm referring to either! I've never heard of anything like this. I'm just reading the terms and faqs. And they state that you may choose a flight, your card is charged and you receive a confirmation email, but if you do not have a ticket and only a reservation; JustFly can then later charge you more money when a ticket is issued because the price want up.

I looked through complaints online, and there are a lot. It appears the main complaint is that they will cancel your reservation and rebook you on a flight with 3 layovers (with too short or ridiculously long connections), then try to upsell you a flight that is much more similar to the one purchased. There are also multiple complaints about passengers with confirmed reservations showing up at the airport, only to find that airline doesn't even fly out of that airport.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Our letter writer can take her res number and call Lufthansa and confirm she has been ticketed. If Lufthansa charged her I am pretty sure is ok.

But in the future you now know to exit out of kayak and go directly to the airlines website.

Sep 16, 2015
We received an email from Justfly dated June 14th and again on September 14th. They say: “Thanks for booking with Justfly! Your electronic tickets are ready”. This is followed by the Lufthansa Record Locator # and Lufthansa eTicket Number for each of us.
On the Lufthansa site, I see the same information, was able to select seats, and entered TSA information.
So, that seems to indicate that tickets have been issued for us. So, unless JustFly cancels our tickets, we are OK. If I have a ticket number, I have a ticket—correct?
However, it appears that we can't do anything to prevent JustFly from cancelling us, which sounds paranoid, but I’ve read that that has happened to others.
What do I do if Justfly cancels us? I can file a dispute with the CC company, but that still leaves us at the airport without a flight….we will lose all of the fees for our cruise and other expenses. There must be something we can do to prevent cancellation without our permission…

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They didn't charge you so they shouldn't be able to do anything. Why don't you call Lufthansa just to ease your mind?

I'd also keep an eye on your res until it's time to fly but I think you will be ok. But call the airline if it will make you feel better.

B

bodega3

What are the rules of the fare? Is it a nonrefundable fare? If so and you are ticketed, you are good to go. You should always watch your reservation weekly and then daily for the last couple of weeks. International schedule changes don't happen a lot like domestic ones do. We are coming up on a time change and that is when we see a lot of schedule changes. By you keeping an eye on things, you can jump on seat reassignments if a changes comes across.

Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
Jusfly will not cancel a NR fare -they can't can any money back for it.

If Justfly DOES cancel your reservation for some reason - you will have a claim against them for the difference in airfare.

They are in Canada. At this point they have your money -they bought a ticket - it's NR - they made their $25 and they could care less.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Agreed. Lufthansa got their money as they are on your credit card statement. Just fly got their fee and you got your ticket. There is no reason for anyone to cancel anything. You aren't being paranoid, you are being vigilant about protecting your investment in your vacation and you want to look forward to it without anxiety. That is totally reasonable. I think it is safe to say you are in the clear. Double confirm a few days before travel. Have an amazing time!

Reactions: Rebecca
Sep 16, 2015
Agreed. Lufthansa got their money as they are on your credit card statement. Just fly got their fee and you got your ticket. There is no reason for anyone to cancel anything. You aren't being paranoid, you are being vigilant about protecting your investment in your vacation and you want to look forward to it without anxiety. That is totally reasonable. I think it is safe to say you are in the clear. Double confirm a few days before travel. Have an amazing time!
UPDATE:
I'm the OP on this topic. We flew without any problems--thank goodness!
That said, we flew Lufthansa a few days before their strike and if we'd have flown directly to Rome for our cruise, we would have had our flight cancelled by Lufthansa because the strike happened the two days prior to our cruise. I'm sure we would have had few options for re-booking. So, I recommend that you all steer clear of JustFly. You have little to no bargaining power--even if the airline cancels you, since you have to go through JustFly to change your flight.