How Is Everyone?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2015
I have been work from home for about a year now, so not much is changing for me, at least not yet, microsoft teams is in heavy use at our office now and I believe everyone has been set up to work remotely, except our admin. For those new to working at home, don't forget to either chat/pick up that telephone. Sometimes I call in just to say hello and how are you doing, it keeps me more connected than just emails and chats. Also, don't forget to stand up at least once an hour! I am waiting to see if the IRS is going to extend the due date for tax returns , which I hope not since you can already file an extension and no payment is due until July now, but who knows.

Our town has low supplies, but luckily it seems to be getting stocked back up on some items. We are not shelter in place yet in Texas, however, I feel like that may be coming in the next week. I have been using grocery delivery, which has had varying degrees of success. It seems like HEB is stepping up with more home deliveries and pick-up options. HEB is just one of the best companies. They are also hiring across the state during these uncertain times.

Many local charitable organizations have had to cancel their spring fundraisers, so hoping that once this clears up everything can get rescheduled and back on track. Trying to donate where I can so that kids can still have food and sanitary items while not being in school. Our community has really pulled together to make sure that kids have what they need.

I am still planning a trip for late fall, but waiting to see what happens and hoping for some decent travel deals. We were planning on a trip down to hill country again later this spring, but that is on hold as well. Otherwise, everyone is healthy in my household so far.

Reactions: jsn55

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I work at a university in Boston and we were all sent home last week to work remotely. I am "essential" and will need to go into the office two days a week, but I'll be the only one there. I am extremely worried about our anti-science daughter, who took our 6 year old grandson to Florida last week for "vacation." They're supposed to return on Wednesday, but my husband and I don't think we can let them in our house for 14 days after that. My husband is in the "older" age range that puts him in the vulnerable group.
We know a number of people who are doing that with their adult children. It may feel harsh but its the right thing to do.

CTP

Dec 26, 2014
My work involves either going to a client site to certify electrical equipment or going to a meeting to write electrical standards or go to a conference as a speaker. Obviously, travel is a major component of my work. I have only one upcoming trip to a major airport to certify some equipment that is deemed essential, but all my other travel has been cancelled. No one is sure yet when rescheduling can happen. I am involved with lots of task groups now, using conference calls and various "go to meeting" applications that allow people from many different companies to work together on new standards. Starting Monday, my husband will be working from home also, his employer got him two displays, a new laptop and docking station so he will be able to function as well at home as he would in his office. Now our concern will be trying to keep our cats off our keyboards!

Jan 11, 2019
I feel very fortunate. I live in North Mississippi on ten acres in the country. My husband is a software engineer and he works for a nonprofit organization that allows them to work from home. I'm going to be doing all I can to help those less fortunate that aren't able to work during this crisis. My parents just celebrated their 60th wedding Anniversary last weekend and I worry more about thier health. Luckily they live next to me and I'm able to take care of everything like food shopping. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
I'm a dentist so right now I'm not seeing any patients. Most offices here have shut down entirely. I agree 100% that only emergency treatment should be done at this time, even in those states whose governing boards haven't made that call yet. I also do some consulting work from home and I've still been doing some of that. My husband works in supply chain and so far his company's production lines are still up and running. He and others in the office are rotating between working from home and being at the office. He offered to be at the office more and allow his older coworker with a history of heart issues and a longer commute to work from home 4 of the 5 days.

As for travel we just spent a week in Bonaire the first week of March and I'm so glad it wasn't later. I was supposed to attend a conference at the end of April and my husband was going with me. I had gotten as far as signing up for the conference but hadn't booked plane tickets or a hotel room yet. My husband is scheduled to do a scuba diving liveaboard in Belize in July. I'm hopeful things will be okay by then but who really knows?

Reactions: BittyBoo and jsn55

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
My work involves either going to a client site to certify electrical equipment or going to a meeting to write electrical standards or go to a conference as a speaker. Obviously, travel is a major component of my work. I have only one upcoming trip to a major airport to certify some equipment that is deemed essential, but all my other travel has been cancelled. No one is sure yet when rescheduling can happen. I am involved with lots of task groups now, using conference calls and various "go to meeting" applications that allow people from many different companies to work together on new standards. Starting Monday, my husband will be working from home also, his employer got him two displays, a new laptop and docking station so he will be able to function as well at home as he would in his office. Now our concern will be trying to keep our cats off our keyboards!
The setup your husband will now have at home is one reason my husband prefers going to the office. When he worked from home the other day he didn't like having just his laptop. He is accustomed to 2 large screens and he can work a lot faster. If he had to work here for any length of time I'm hoping his company could give him the same setup.

I can relate to the cat issue. As I type this one of my cats is sharing my chair. :)

Feb 3, 2020
I am a stay-at-home mom in Williamsburg, VA. Our county seems to be a "hotbed" for covid-19 in Virginia. No surprise there, as Williamsburg is a retirement community with lots of affluent, busy seniors who are always travelling. School has been out since Monday. The school system says we are out for two weeks, but I can't see the kids going back at least until after Spring Break (April 6-10). Lucky me, I get to enforce the homework packets that teachers have assigned upon a reluctant teenager! We had our own travel plans: southern Vancouver Island for Spring Break with plans to tour the University of Victoria as a college prospect. Westjet seems to be offering refunds for all travel in March or April, with refunds deposited into a travel bank. I'm more worried about a family trip booked for Austria and Germany in late July. Time will tell. Still, we are home, comfortable and healthy...no complaints here. I know that many are much worse off! Stay well, everyne.

Teri Bergin

Staff Member
Advocate
Mar 12, 2016
Orlando, Florida
I'm a PA and I was recently hired by a new practice, but I'm waiting for hospital privileges (after the practice hires someone, the hospital has to review all my references and make sure I'm ok to work at their hospital--it takes MONTHS!). So I'm stir crazy at home. Today I washed my back patio furniture and put the awning back on my gazebo (I took it off for the hurricane last year). I'm also worried about my elderly parents and my daughter had all the symptoms of the virus this week, but she is feeling better today and becoming stir crazy herself. She doesn't live with me and I stayed away.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Chris invited us to post how we're doing: "If you’re looking for someone to talk to, please jump into our help forums and tell us how you’re doing." So here's a thread for rhat.

OK so far .. I had no problems cancelling a trip to New York City scheduled for next month with all money pre-pais refunded. I
still have a trip to Scotland on the books for October. We'll see how things are this summer to see if that is still happening.

Overall, I am "sheltered in place" in the SF Bay Area, getting irregular deliveries from Instacart.

How is everyone else?
Thank you for starting this thread. It's nice hearing from everyone and glad to know you all are well as can be expected. Eases the burden of being isolated.

Dec 19, 2017
I sell food at festivals and events. I also do tag a longs on catering (not main entree's) for corporate events and work at a huge flea market. Everything has been cancelled until June. From the middle of April and May is huge. So much for a new driveway and a nice Florida Vacation at X-mas time. I need the Elliot.org team to advocate for me with my wife to release funds for a vacation.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Laying low in the Nation's Capital. I didn't have any trips planned for spring, however, my big 5-0 birthday is Tuesday and all celebrations have been canceled. :(
Happy Birthday from your Forum Family, Bitty! Don't know why this didn't post on Wednesday, but good birthday wishes, albeit a little late. We just decided to pack a picnic on Sunday and drive over to the coast for the day. There won't be any traffic, and we can take showers when we get home. We won't be in physical contact with anyone and we can use paper towels if we need a break, so the plan seems to be staying to the spirit of distancing. I'm confident of two things ... healthy people who are careful may get sick, but they won't die ... and this social isolation will do a great deal to stop the spread of the virus. I'm very happy to read that all of you are taking good care and doing well.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
I'm a nurse working at a jail in the Pac NW. We are on high alert, everyone worrying about being exposed. My family was supposed to travel to Belize on Monday for spring break. I proactively cancelled our outbound flights (booked with cash) and have been waiting on the return ones which were booked with points from a credit card - the wait time was too long when I tried. Hotels were easy to cancel. Harder to deal with is my kid in college - he was home from AZ for spring break, was told online schooling for 2 weeks only, so chose to stay home. Now, everything is online for the rest of the term, he's reluctant to fly and we have no idea how to get his stuff out of his dorm room. His roommates are all from out of town and all stayed home too. In addition, my senior in high school is super worried that there will be no online classes offered for our state and that she won't graduate. And our family summer vacation was supposed to be the Tokyo Olympics, so we'll see how that works out... On the plus side: I love having all my kids home and I am super lucky to have job security, though I really worry about infecting everyone.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Happy Birthday from your Forum Family, Bitty! Don't know why this didn't post on Wednesday, but good birthday wishes, albeit a little late. We just decided to pack a picnic on Sunday and drive over to the coast for the day. There won't be any traffic, and we can take showers when we get home. We won't be in physical contact with anyone and we can use paper towels if we need a break, so the plan seems to be staying to the spirit of distancing. I'm confident of two things ... healthy people who are careful may get sick, but they won't die ... and this social isolation will do a great deal to stop the spread of the virus. I'm very happy to read that all of you are taking good care and doing well.
Aww thank you J! It means the world to me!

Reactions: Pixie Pie
Sep 9, 2018
So happy to hear from everyone!!! We're hunkering down here in the New England area (Connecticut). Trying desperately to homeschool while maintaining contact with my clients (I'm a social worker). I'm homebound 23/7 with a 6 and 12 year old (thank God for our 60 minute phys. ed break)! Ahhhhhh.....the perils of being a single parent.

Had a trip planned to Jersey to see my family, but because my mother is in the high-risk category, FaceTime will have to suffice! Getting very squirrley these days..... desperately wanting to take the kids SOMEWHERE besides the yard, but I don't know if even an overnight in a local hotel is a good idea at this point????

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. I thank my lucky stars for this forum and for each of you in the Elliott family....I'd seriously be koo-koo without you guys!

Sending lots of love and health to you all! ♥

Nov 22, 2019
I work home, trying to figure out how to deal with my expiring visa in this situtation!

Since many people cancelled flights, I wanted to add that I bought a flight for a professional meeting, which was cancelled, so I had to cancel my AA flight and have $200 change fees. I sent a very courteous request to AA to get my flight refunded instead of having credit due to my financial situation (student), acknowledging that if was ok if they were too busy to make a request or if it was against the policy. They didn't reply yet but I got a full refund on my credit card, without change fees. My girlfriend who bought a Basic Economy had similar experience (full credit for future use, no change fees even if a basic economy should have been sent to trash since she cancelled her flight before AA set up waivers).

Just to remind people that the "I know my right (usually not) and want this because I am a paying customer" is not a good strategy. "I know the policy and could you make one exception please" is much better... Same goes when going groceries shopping....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I work home, trying to figure out how to deal with my expiring visa in this situtation!

Since many people cancelled flights, I wanted to add that I bought a flight for a professional meeting, which was cancelled, so I had to cancel my AA flight and have $200 change fees. I sent a very courteous request to AA to get my flight refunded instead of having credit due to my financial situation (student), acknowledging that if was ok if they were too busy to make a request or if it was against the policy. They didn't reply yet but I got a full refund on my credit card, without change fees. My girlfriend who bought a Basic Economy had similar experience (full credit for future use, no change fees even if a basic economy should have been sent to trash since she cancelled her flight before AA set up waivers).

Just to remind people that the "I know my right (usually not) and want this because I am a paying customer" is not a good strategy. "I know the policy and could you make one exception please" is much better... Same goes when going groceries shopping....
That’s wonderful about AA.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
My husband and I are retired Snowbirds, splitting the year between Oregon and a Del Webb community in Arizona. We are sheltering in place, all facilities in this Senior Community have been shut down. Our Restaurant is doing meals to go and taking orders for Essential items (eggs, milk, cheese, pasta, etc) delivered daily by their commercial restaurant supplier. We are too far out in the Desert for Insta Cart, etc. Store shelves are completely bare!
Too late to make the 2 day drive to our Oregon home, so we will wait it out here.
Cancelled flight to Alaska for my Mom who turns 87 tomorrow. Can’t risk taking this virus into her home. Alaska Airlines made the cancellation easy and painless.
No cruises for us until 2022 Antarctica :) Maybe Hawaii in 2021 Once we are past this horrible situation. Take care and be well all. :)

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Working from home as a government contractor here in Ohio. Our governor is being very proactive and doing a great job. Not sure hire long before I either run out of wine or go stir crazy but we’ll see. Cancelled our NYC trip in April, supposedly AA will let us rebook with no fees, but I’ve gotten nothing indicating that’s the case. Little nervous. Praying our 2 week Hawaiian vacation in July remains unscathed! Everyone take good care and stay healthy! Oh, and stop touching your face!1584834530667.png

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Well done, Alex. What's involved with renewing your visa? It would be nice to get lucky and be able to do it all online. If not, they'll have to "extend things". The Feds aren't very good at it, however. Our first quarter income tax is due April 15, now extended to July 15. But the second quarter is due on June 15, just like always. Pretty much guaranteed to screw up 3/4 of the Americans who pay quarterlies.