HOTWIRE Hell

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 23, 2016
While vacationing in Can San Jose from Dec 6th 2016 until Dec 12th 2016 on our last day I managed to convince my husband for us to extended our trip a couple of more days and stay in Cabo San Lucas. We had made some friends at our current resort that had great reviews about Hotwire... so as a last minute change of plans I went with Hotwire as an option... well well what a a "great deal" I thought I had found for my husband our 2 years and I.... 4 nights at Marina Fiesta clearly stating its ALL INCLUSIVE with the name of the hotel and amenities include free food & drinks. We arrive at the Marina Fiesta to be told our stay is not all inclusive and we can purchase that for $150 per day. We were on the phone with Hotwire for 1.5hrs at the hotel reception with all our luggage and a very antsy 2 year old. We were told it was a glitch in the system and they would credit us $150 in Hot Dollars for a future vacation. We have such a bad taste in our mouths about Hotwire. I posted a review on TripAdvisor telling about our horrible experience with Hotwire and a reader contacted me about my post saying he made him check with the hotel if they are indeed all inclusive and they stated they weren't, he got the hotel to contact Hotwire and he received a full refund... Since being back home we have tried to get some resolution with Hotwire and they are now saying we need to prove our spending on food and drinks with receipts or they can credit us 25% of our payment for a future reservation. I feel sick over this. We live in Las Vegas and I am a Caesars Entertainment employee and I am absolutely disgusted with Hotwire. Their customer service is pitiful and have poor excuses. I have pictures of the screen shots of our reservation and email which clearly state from hot-wires advertising that this was an all inclusive resort. I just can't sit back and accept this, I just can't, and to know they still have this hotel marketed as all inclusive makes me feel even more upset.

Can anyone give us some help?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have contacts for Hotwire in our company contacts. Use the customer service email address and write. Give them a week to reply. If they don't or you don't like what they say, write to the first executive shown. Repeat weekly if necessarily.

Reactions: Janis
Dec 23, 2016
We have contacts for Hotwire in our company contacts. Use the customer service email address and write. Give them a week to reply. If they don't or you don't like what they say, write to the first executive shown. Repeat weekly if necessarily.

Thank you, I just emailed them!

Reactions: Neil Maley
Dec 9, 2016
Idaho
www.travelimages.com
The advice of @Neil is what matters, plus you did well by creating screen shots of the online transactions.

For those that don't know how to create screenshots - on a Windows computer anyway - you press the 'print screen' key [PRTSC] then paste or ctrl/V into your image editing software. You may need to hold down the 'function key' [FN] too, depending on your brand of computer.

Another option is the 'Snipping tool' in Windows 10, and I find myself using it increasingly for peace of mind when dealing with 'suspect companies'!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
After reading the thread, do exactly as @Neil said and I agree with @PhotoTraveler

I couldn't tell if you paid for food and drinks, or if you paid the $150 a day - I may have missed it, but I wold be asking for a cash refund of your $150 a day. Who wants "hot bucks" so you can book with hotwire again?

Also, while I dont advocate starting a case with your credit card company, may I suggest you call them and explain the situation and that you are chatting with hotwire about a resolution and ask if you would be able to open some sort of a claim if hotwire is non responsive or doesnt budge.

Good luck

Nov 14, 2016
After reading the thread, do exactly as @Neil said and I agree with @PhotoTraveler

I couldn't tell if you paid for food and drinks, or if you paid the $150 a day - I may have missed it, but I wold be asking for a cash refund of your $150 a day. Who wants "hot bucks" so you can book with hotwire again?

Also, while I dont advocate starting a case with your credit card company, may I suggest you call them and explain the situation and that you are chatting with hotwire about a resolution and ask if you would be able to open some sort of a claim if hotwire is non responsive or doesnt budge.

Good luck
I agree with my esteemed colleague above. First, I think we need to know if you decided to get the meal plan at $150/day or if you decided to pay out of pocket. If you decided to do the latter, you will almost certainly need receipts to get reimbursed. If you paid the flat fee then all you will need is your hotel bill.

However, if you have any written proof (like a confirmation or a screenshot) that the stay was supposed to be all inclusive I would not give Hotwire a long time to rectify the situation. If you clearly bought an all inclusive package once you arrive on site and check in then Hotwire can't claim that this is an error. Their T&Cs regarding pricing errors can't apply to a contractual service that is already in use because once you checked in there was no recourse for you. Thus after giving Hotwire a chance to refund my expenses, I would pursue a charge back with my credit card company in the amount of the $150 (I'm assuming that's per day) times X number of days onsite. So if you stayed 4 days, I'd pursue a partial charge back of $600 for services not received and use the confirmation of this. I had something similar happen to me many years ago and was successful in this regard.

Reactions: sas80

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is this one of those hidden deals that says "all inclusive from $xxxxx"? If itbisvI think you definitely have a good claim against them.

If our contacts don't work, let us know and we'll let you know the next step.

Dec 23, 2016
Is this one of those hidden deals that says "all inclusive from $xxxxx"? If itbisvI think you definitely have a good claim against them.

If our contacts don't work, let us know and we'll let you know the next step.
Just received the most generic response with no resolution and 1866 number saying the hope to better serve me in the future

Apr 26, 2016
Neil's advice is what matters, plus you did well by creating screen shots of the online transactions.

For those that don't know how to create screenshots - on a Windows computer anyway - you press the 'print screen' key [PRTSC] then paste or ctrl/V into your image editing software. You may need to hold down the 'function key' [FN] too, depending on your brand of computer.

Another option is the 'Snipping tool' in Windows 10, and I find myself using it increasingly for peace of mind when dealing with 'suspect companies'!
PhotoTraveler ... Thank you! I tried this and it WORKED. I touched the PRTSC key on my keyboard, opened a WORD file, hit ctrl/V and it pasted your instructions into my document. Didn't even have to use the FN key either. Before I was taking photos with my camera or phone. Thank you for your post.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Don't worry, you don't need receipts. Your folio will have the f&b charges and the hotel will itemize them for you. You may get lucky and learn you spent less than the all inclusive.

Dec 23, 2016

Good luck
Sorry I wasn't clear they they wanted us to pay an extra $150 per day, we did not pay it and ate and drank off property for our stay with the exception of 2 room service orders for breakfast

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Janis, I'm glad you've started the process ... which we find works quite well. When composing your email, remove all emotion and just state the facts in chronological order. Be as concise as possible.

Your letter is being read by someone who didn't cause your problem. The quicker s/he grasps exactly what happened, the quicker your letter will be routed to the correct department. Hotwire probably has the tiniest customer service department known to man, they are successful on sheer numbers of orders, so little attention is paid to problems. The more clearly stated your message is, the better chances you have. Be polite, patient and persistent. I know exactly how you feel, because 'your idea' has caused so much family angst. You will prevail, but it will take a great deal of effort on your part. It's worth it, though, so you don't feel cheated the rest of your life. And next time ... don't use an OTA for anything other than research. Then book direct ... always. Problems arise often in travel, but being able to deal directly with the travel provider is far more pleasant and efficient. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Reactions: Patina and Janis
Dec 23, 2016
Janis, I'm glad you've started the process ... which we find works quite well. When composing your email, remove all emotion and just state the facts in chronological order. Be as concise as possible.

Your letter is being read by someone who didn't cause your problem. The quicker s/he grasps exactly what happened, the quicker your letter will be routed to the correct department. Hotwire probably has the tiniest customer service department known to man, they are successful on sheer numbers of orders, so little attention is paid to problems. The more clear your letter is, the better chances you have. Be polite, patient and persistent. I know exactly how you feel, because 'your idea' has caused so much angst. You will prevail, but it will take a great deal of effort on your part. It's worth it, though, so you don't feel cheated the rest of your life. And next time ... don't use an OTA for anything other than research. Then book direct ... always. Problems arise often in travel, but being able to deal directly with the travel provider is far more pleasant and efficient.

Thank you kindly for your advice
I just can't give up on this... I just can't!

Feb 9, 2016
okay, I get it - and now hotwire is telling you they are going to 'require' food and beverage receipts if you want to see any sort of a refund, and that refund has to be in hotwire bucks?

aw hayell naw times 2!

Reactions: Janis