Hotels.com reservation in Italy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 18, 2020
I have a hotel booked in Italy beginning on June 25. We contacted the hotel first about getting a refund, and their only offer was a 1-year voucher. I also contacted Hotels.com, who we booked through, and they said the same, and when I requested that the voucher be extended to at least 3 years, they refused. I reminded them that, currently, US travelers to Italy are required to self-quarantine for 2 weeks--more than twice as long as our stay was supposed to be--so it is absurd that we aren't able to get a refund, or at the very least a more reasonable voucher (considering we don't know how long COVID-19 will last and make travel risky). Our flight to Italy was even cancelled, so it's not as though we could even get there! Is there any way to force them to issue a refund or a better voucher? If not, should I accept the one year voucher and, if we can't use it, have my credit card company dispute the charge?

Jun 18, 2020
Italy and other EU countries have enacted laws that allow hotels to only issue vouchers instead of refunding. This is most likely the issue and Hotels.com can’t do anything about it.
That's so ridiculous; they have laws preventing us from traveling there, yet enact other laws to prevent us from getting our money back? Yikes. Thank you for the information though, I appreciate the response.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What were the terms and conditions of the booking you made? That's what governs a situation like yours. Nobody is enacting laws to prevent consumers from getting their money back. Everything you need to know about your res is available to you on the website. You may not be aware of the general lock-down around the world and how people are working from home, corporate revenue is scarce, and expenses continue. It's making a huge mess everywhere. Refundable travel is taking months to refund. If you find that the booking you made is refundable, please come back to us and we may be able to guide you.