Hotel Reimbursement

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
If the hotel pays you the VAT and city taxes, you should return that money to AIG. You cannot collect both.
Razilo is correct -- you either ask for the entire amount from AIG or the reduced amount from AIG and the taxes from the hotel. You may not be entitled to the VAT back. But you cannot double dip and take all of it and the taxes if eligible as that is insurance fraud.

Oct 14, 2018
I explained earlier that the VAT tax was $77 and city tax $10, the entire bill was $788. We were paid $729. We have an email confirmation for the hotel showing the charge of $788. The credit card statement shows Hotel on Booking.com. We did not book brought them.

Oct 14, 2018
We received nothing as payment from the hotel, only from the insurance company which was less than the cost of the hotel.

Aug 6, 2018
It seems the hotel was $701 + $87 in tax (vat + city) so AIG paid you more than the price of the hotel stay. Just seems strange, I have always gotten a detailed accounting of payments anytime I have collected on an insurance claim. You did not?

Aug 6, 2018
I explained earlier that the VAT tax was $77 and city tax $10, the entire bill was $788. We were paid $729. We have an email confirmation for the hotel showing the charge of $788. The credit card statement shows Hotel on Booking.com. We did not book brought them.
You did book through them, you may not have known it but you did. But that should have nothing to do with the trip insurance.

Reactions: Just A Guy
Feb 11, 2018
We did not speak with the rep from AIG. He left a message stating that we would receive less money from the hotel and made reference to Booking.com which we believe we did not use. We recollect calling the hotel direct. All booking was done in January and we paid nothing for the hotels in Scotland when we booked. We would have paid when we checked in. The Iceland hotel would not allow cancellations. Perhaps we should just try AIG since this seems very confusing. All money was in American dollars.
You "believe" you did not use Booking.com? That's a very different ballgame from being sure. Better check your records, or find some other way to get the facts. Perhaps check with Booking.com, or ask AIG for more info.

Reactions: BostonJohn
Oct 14, 2018
Since we called direct, I had no idea that Booking.com was involved. Is this because of Icelandic Air? Not sure if we should continue pursuing this.

Oct 14, 2018
We have a printout of the confirmation from the hotel. The charge on the credit card did state Hotel Booking.com.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then you did book it unknowingly through a booking site. But I don't understand what that has to do with the claim. And hotelbooking is different than just booking dot com. You should go back to the insurance company and appeal the claim. Let us know what they say that $59 charge is for.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a good time to remind us all that we should look at the actual web address before moving forward with a res. If you are being transferred over to a (probably well disguised) website that you don't want, that's the time to halt your activity. Do a search for the entity that you do want, be sure you're on their official website, then retype or copy and paste the address into your browser. Don't click on a link. These online booking services seem to think up a new way to create customers every week.

Sep 19, 2015
37 posts and I am still not sure how this was booked. I was trying to figure out if the website charged some fee or something of the sort.

Reactions: jsn55