Hotel Opening Delayed/Refund Refused

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2020
My family booked a stay at the new Legoland Florida Pirate hotel back in November. It was supposed to open in April and we were staying May 27- June 3. They have decided to not open the hotel until at least June due to the stay at home orders. They are refusing to refund me my 1500 dollars. They only want to reschedule my trip. I cannot go another time due to my schedule as a teacher and they are telling me it is my problem, although they broke our agreement on the room I purchased. I have called them several times and was told no one could help me and the only supervisor I could speak with would be in the United Kingdom and they could not connect me, they could only give me the phone number. I have tried to call that number several times after activating my international calling, and the call will not go through to anyone. This pandemic is nobody's fault, but they are punishing me when the service I purchased can no longer be provided. As a teacher, I cannot afford to lose such a large amount of money.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you contacted them through email? I assume you are teaching this summer so can’t go at a later date? Can you move to the other hotel?

Guests with previously booked Pirate Island Hotel reservations will have the option to either shift the existing reservation to LEGOLAND Hotel or shift the date of your visit to enjoy the new Pirate Island Hotel. To make an adjustment, emailing [email protected] with your name, confirmation number and new dates that you wish to visit. Priority will be given to guests with the most immediate vacation dates. Rebooking options will be based on availability.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My family booked a stay at the new Legoland Florida Pirate hotel back in November. It was supposed to open in April and we were staying May 27- June 3. They have decided to not open the hotel until at least June due to the stay at home orders. They are refusing to refund me my 1500 dollars. They only want to reschedule my trip. I cannot go another time due to my schedule as a teacher and they are telling me it is my problem, although they broke our agreement on the room I purchased. I have called them several times and was told no one could help me and the only supervisor I could speak with would be in the United Kingdom and they could not connect me, they could only give me the phone number. I have tried to call that number several times after activating my international calling, and the call will not go through to anyone. This pandemic is nobody's fault, but they are punishing me when the service I purchased can no longer be provided. As a teacher, I cannot afford to lose such a large amount of money.
It is doubtful that Legoland will be open in May, and even if the FL "authorities" allow it to open, it will not be a safe place to visit. FL is not projected to reach the peak of COVID-19 activity until mid-May to early-June, and will not be a safe place to visit esp in an amusement area.

Wait and see if Legoland is open the week before your scheduled dates. If it is not open they will be forced to refund your money. If it is open you will have to decide if you would accept a voucher for another date when it will be safe to visit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is doubtful that Legoland will be open in May, and even if the FL "authorities" allow it to open, it will not be a safe place to visit. FL is not projected to reach the peak of COVID-19 activity until mid-May to early-June, and will not be a safe place to visit esp in an amusement area.

Wait and see if Legoland is open the week before your scheduled dates. If it is not open they will be forced to refund your money. If it is open you will have to decide if you would accept a voucher for another date when it will be safe to visit.
Not necessarily will they be required to refund. These companies are running out of cash to refund guests. You can’t milk a stone. We are going to see more and more companies claiming force majeure as an excuse not to refund.

We received an email from our bank yesterday saying that for any travel related disputes, they will be taking 45 days to look at disputes. It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Contact tour credit card company. We have information from MasterCard about disputes like this - you should be able to obtain a refund if this is not addressed in the terms and conditions of your booking. This is from Master Card:

Question: The merchant has cancelled services and offered the cardholder a reasonable alternative for future service. The cardholder declines this reasonable alternative but the merchant refuses to process a refund. Does an issuer have chargeback rights?Answer: Yes. Reasonable alternatives for future services cannot be imposed on the cardholder in lieu of a refund, unless the merchant has a right to provide the cardholder with such reasonable alternatives based on the terms and conditions properly disclosed to the cardholder at the of the purchase, or based on applicable legislation or government regulations that should be provided in the dispute documentation.

Reactions: jsn55 and Pixie Pie

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It always comes down to the terms and conditions that governed your reservation initially. There's no point in trying to take care of this on the phone, especially during this virus mess. If your res states that it is completely refundable, write and ask for the refund per their instructions. Your request will require executive approval, that's why the telephone is not very effective. The refund will likely take a good long time to appear. A credit card dispute may be easier. If your res is not refundable, you'll need to figure out how to use a credit towards a future stay.

Just for the record, don't make reservations at a new hotel until it's been open (not scheduled, but verified open) for at least 120 days. Never prepay a hotel or car rental reservation ... only exceptions are huge events like the Olympics or the Masters where you have no choice. Scrutinize the cancellation penalty information before you make the booking.