Hertz is scamming me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 16, 2018
Im 22 years old and I rented a car for 2 days from June 1st and June 3rd... I returned the car in the same condition I got it in. The original cost was 187.00 for the rental. They put an extra 200.00 charge on my card for the deposit. The day after I returned the car, i noticed they charged me another 100.00 bucks so now they have charged my card 487.00 all together. I called Hertz customer service and asked about the 300 bucks in extra charges. They said that it would fall off in the next 7 to 10 days.
So I waited 12 days and called again.
The customer service representative said that they charged me the extra 300 dollars because they said that I smoked in the car... Specifically it said "found cannabis/tobacco particles in the car and it smelled like smoke". I was flabbergasted by this accusation and that they charged me $300 dollars. The lady on the phone was rude and didn't attempt to help me at all. First of all, I have allergies that flare up including massive headaches when I'm around anyone that smokes so therefore I don't smoke anything... At all... Ever. I can't or it will be very hard to breathe. And I most certainly don't smoke marijuana. My job is to provide professional services to big businesses throughout Arizona and I drive a company vehicle and receive random drug tests to make sure I don't do drugs. Also some of the places I provide services for, require a drug test just to come onto their property. I am offended by this accusation and want this charge reversed.

Some back story to clarify the issue:
When I went up to the Hertz counter and picked up the car, the person at the front desk just handed me the keys and said follow the signs and the car will be in spot 8. So no one walked me out to the car and went through the car with me. If they would have they would have realized that the car smelled like someone had smoked in it before I even stepped foot in the car. That car did 100% smell like someone had smoked in it but it also smelled like it had been throughly cleaned so I just assumed that someone who rented the car before me had smoked it in and Hertz cleaned it. I didn't think it would be blamed on me. I was the only person in the car so there is no way that they found tobacco/cannabis particles in the car... The car was squeaky clean when I got it and it was squeaky clean when I returned it.

The inspection report is what noted that they found the "particles" in the car after I returned it. So i want to see the inspection report for the car when it was returned by the renter before me because it would show that the car smelled like someone had smoked in it. Or if it is further back in the cars rental history I want to see it. If Hertz is a reputable company that inspects their vehicles well, some time in that cars rental history there will be a note that it smelled like smoke and that driver should have been charged for it.. not me.

I'm so mad about this situation I've found myself in. I can't afford to be charged 300 dollars. I'm not stupid enough to smoke in a rental car, which is why I was surprised that the car smelled like smoke... But again I thought that Hertz would have records of that and that it wasn't my issue. But apparently not...

Sorry it's so long but I just want to get some help because this charge is ridiculous

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Glad you came here because we have had a lot of success with these type of claims if you follow our process.

Read this:
http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

You stated very well that the car smelled of smoke when you got into it and that you do not smoke anything due to allergies. Tell them you want a copy of the inspection report for your car and for the prior 5 returns so you can see if the odor was documented before you since it is impossible you smoked in the car.

Keep an eye on your time frame. You an try and do a dispute with your credit card company but only have so long to do it. So if you are getting close to the end of the time you can do a dispute - send a dispute in writing. They will have to prove to the cc company you smoked in the car if order to win the case.

Reactions: jsn55 and Gmesaaz
Jun 16, 2018
Thanks for the help. I already spoke with Chase and the dispute is in progress. When I called the Hertz location on Friday morning the guy on the phone said that the manager Sydnee would call me that day... Saturday... Or Monday(today). I have yet to receive a call so I'm really disappointed in their customer service.
While I was on the phone with customer service... I asked if there were any photos of the so called "particles" and she said no...
I'm shocked this has happened but reading online over the last couple days about similar instances people have had... It seems to happen alot.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are so right, it happens often and getting to be ridiculous. Rental car companies are taking their cue from airlines and hotels and adding millions to their bottom line with charges like this. Neil has laid it all out for you. I want to remind you that your communications with Hertz need to be polite and businesslike. The person reading your letter did not pull this nasty trick, and you want them to help you. We often counsel "vent to us and be polite to the people you contact". Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Gmesaaz
Jun 16, 2018
The charge was eventually reversed. I spoke with a woman from customer service and she looked through the cars rental history. Apparently the day after I returned the car, the car was rented to someone else and in order for Hertz to charge a cleaning fee, the car must be pulled out of service for at least 3 days so that it can be professionally cleaned. Since it wasn't out of service for the minimum of 3 days then the $300 cleaning fee was not a valid charge. She reversed it and I'm just glad to be out of that situation and will try my hardest to never get into a situation like that ever again.